I just bought some new green Skull Candy headphones to match my green housing, but sadly, they wont work. And i dont know if it's because i changed my housing or what, but i didnt change the side rails so that really wouldnt be the situation, would it? If anyone has any ideas why sound wont come out of the headphones, than please let me know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 07:57 PM
    Did you try to use another set of headphones to see if it does it with them too?

05-16-09 09:44 PM
    I just bought some new green Skull Candy headphones to match my green housing, but sadly, they wont work. And i dont know if it's because i changed my housing or what, but i didnt change the side rails so that really wouldnt be the situation, would it? If anyone has any ideas why sound wont come out of the headphones, than please let me know.

There have been many post from members that have stated their headphone jack stopped working after changing some part of the housing.

I changed my front/back and my headset jack works just fine; others made the same change (didn't touch the rails) and the jack went out.

Hammer suggested a different headset- have you tried that yet?
    05-16-09 09:50 PM
    Yup, I've tried a different headset. Still the same issue. I'm really frustrated, because I use my phone for music alot.
    05-16-09 10:03 PM
    Run a hardware test with those headphones and a different set. Options>Status> type "test" (without the quotes)
    05-16-09 10:06 PM
    I did, and nothing. I think the jack is shot.
    nothing ever works for me. ever.
    05-16-09 10:13 PM
    Too bad there's not any new BB's on Sprint. You'd have an excuse to upgrade!
    05-16-09 10:19 PM
    You may have to get your phone exchanged.
    05-16-09 10:28 PM
    You may have to get your phone exchanged.
    Miley already screwed up the warranty by changing the housing. Hopefully the people at the store don't realize this.

05-16-09 10:43 PM
    This is exactly why I don't mess with any of my gadgets hardware. I do mess with the software though! Hopefully the store you go to has dumb employees. I bet you're regretting ever changing housings. Hopefully everything works out.

05-16-09 10:59 PM
    This will also not look good on your record with the carrier. This is the second one that you need to have replaced in such a short period from playing with the hardware. Best of luck at the store.

Last edited by ArmaK; 05-16-09 at 11:47 PM.
    05-16-09 11:44 PM
    Miley already screwed up the warranty by changing the housing. Hopefully the people at the store don't realize this.

Just change it back to the original housing. I mean, now that you've taken it off, putting it back on should be a snap; then take it in.
    05-17-09 12:40 AM
    This will also not look good on your record with the carrier. This is the second one that you need to have replaced in such a short period from playing with the hardware. Best of luck at the store.

I would hope he doesn't go in the door announcing that and 2ndly, if he's screwing up phones that badly, one needs to know their limitations and just stop!!!
    05-17-09 12:41 AM
    This is why I can't bring myself to change my housing. My BB is also my music player, both through headphones and through the aux port in my car and wired sounds better than bluetooth, so it's just not worth it. On the bright side, you CAN just start listening through BT.

05-17-09 12:52 AM
    IMO this is down to bad luck or rough handling in use, rather than a result of changing the housing. If it worked after the change and failed later I don't see changing the housing as a probable cause. However the housing change does make warranty exchange more difficult. I think the best thing is to put the original housing back and hope they don't notice the warranty seal is gone. The seal is usually a little sticker on one of the housing screws - but sometimes a refurb (exchange) unit doesn't even have a seal when it is delivered.

The most likely causes are a bad contact inside the socket, or the socket has a broken solder connection to the mainboard. Broken solder can happen if the socket is used a lot and not handled carefully because the 3.5mm plug acts as a lever. Any side force applied to the plug is multiplied by the time it reaches the solder points.

First thing I would try is find a known good headset and work the plug in and out a few times. This should "wipe" the contacts and make sure its not simply Dirt preventing connection.

If this doesn't work the fault is probably the headset socket itself, or where it it soldered to the main circuit board. The only fix for this is exchange or repair by a workshop equipped for full refurb work (there are not many of these around). The socket is surface-mount soldered so hand repair is not advised, it will simply trash the warranty and risk destroying the mainboard.

One possible workaround might be a Bluetooth headset. Does anyone know if media audio goes to BT? (I have no idea, I never tried it on a BT headset but it doesn't seem to go to my car handsfree)
    05-17-09 04:30 AM
    But I wasn't really messing with it, and I only changed the housing because someone was using my phone, dropped it, and scratched up the screen. I really would want to avoid a replacement, but I may have to. if I did, I would leave that one red. No doubts. Would a Micro USB headphone adapter work?

Like this?

Motorola Stereo 3.5 mm Headset Adapter to Micro USB port, Motorola part # SYN2113/ SYN2113A: Motorola Q9h/ RAZR2 V8/ RAZR2 V9/ RAZR2 V9m cell phone models Other cell phones, PDAs and devices with a micro USB headset jack Factory original Micro USB to
    05-17-09 06:34 AM
    And also, I have an iPod for music, although I never use it since I got my BB, so an exchange just seems kinda dumb. Plus, I like my green housing, and I would not risk putting it on a new phone. The one thing I'm mad about it that I watch Sprint TV a lot, and now I won't really be able to without bothering people around me. I just hope that the little Micro USB adapter will work! Someone let me know.
    05-17-09 06:45 AM
    But I wasn't really messing with it, and I only changed the housing because someone was using my phone, dropped it, and scratched up the screen. I really would want to avoid a replacement, but I may have to. if I did, I would leave that one red. No doubts. Would a Micro USB headphone adapter work?
    I have no idea if the Curve puts audio to the USB. However that adaptor will not work directly. The Curve uses mini-USB, not micro-USB, so you would need either the mini equivalent, or a micro to mini adaptor with the micro/3.5mm device. That is going to make a very long connector to lever the USB socket off the circuit board

My advice is to stay away from these devices because your USB is also the charging connector. If it fails your phone is dead when the battery gets discharged, and there's no way to recharge unless you buy the charging pod. The USB is fragile enough anyway when the charger is connected so many times, it feels like going in search of trouble to put extra wear on the port.
    05-17-09 07:20 AM
    I have no idea if the Curve puts audio to the USB. However that adaptor will not work directly. The Curve uses mini-USB, not micro-USB, so you would need either the mini equivalent, or a micro to mini adaptor with the micro/3.5mm device. That is going to make a very long connector to lever the USB socket off the circuit board

My advice is to stay away from these devices because your USB is also the charging connector. If it fails your phone is dead when the battery gets discharged, and there's no way to recharge unless you buy the charging pod. The USB is fragile enough anyway when the charger is connected so many times, it feels like going in search of trouble to put extra wear on the port.
    I thought Micro was the larger one, and mini the smaller. I thought that the 83xx series used micro, and the newer ones used mini. Or am I wrong? Cause there are mini versions to if I need that. And I do have a charging pod I could use to if anything did go wrong with that.
    05-17-09 07:33 AM
    I thought Micro was the larger one, and mini the smaller. I thought that the 83xx series used micro, and the newer ones used mini. Or am I wrong? Cause there are mini versions to if I need that. And I do have a charging pod I could use to if anything did go wrong with that.
    I think you have it backward, and your 8330 uses mini-USB which is the larger one. However we should wait for others to jump in and confirm who is right.

More important, you need to be sure your phone will put media audio out from the USB port. This is something I have never tried on my Bold and I don't have an adaptor to try it with my headset.
    05-17-09 08:52 AM
    If you crap the usb port, charging isn't a big deal with a charging pod. Syncing becomes a problem, though. I guess you can sync through BT though, right?

05-17-09 08:55 AM
    You're thinking the opposite. The Storm and 8900 (possibly other new BB's (doubtful)) have microUSB, The Pearl, Curve (83xx)), and all the other older BB's have miniUSB.
    05-17-09 10:47 AM
    i think its odd that not more people had this problem...i switched out my housing and midplate a few hours ago and realized my headset jack has died also...i've taken apart the housing 100 times thinking it was a contact issue and maybe the housing just needed to be pushed together more but nothing is working...i ordered a new midplate "just in case" something truly did break that was supposed to contact maybe from the jack to the main board...but i think i've lost it forever
    05-23-09 09:41 PM
    05-24-09 08:07 AM
    you can probalby get these at radio shack or something and test it right at the store
    but i only think it would work if the phone DIDNT have a 3.5mm jack. Like the RAZR. I think the USB port on the curve is for syncing and charging, and audio will not come out since the 3.5mm Jack is there for that
    Last edited by JoeT6681; 06-02-09 at 01:46 PM.
    06-02-09 01:44 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD