SO, I'm off to England at the end of the month and gave ole Telus a call, they want $100 for a plan and even with that the data and cell isn't cheap.

You think I should just use my ipod touch with Skype or purchase a phone while in the UK, the only part thats sucks is not having BBM.

I"d be happy just with BBM if the data wasn't so outragous.

Anyone taken their BB to the UK and still used BBM without a plan, was it affordable?
    Last edited by woodzybcfc; 02-14-11 at 11:32 PM.
    02-14-11 11:27 PM
    SO, I'm off to England at the end of the month and gave ole Telus a call, they want $100 for a plan and even with that the data and cell isn't cheap.

You think I should just use my ipod touch with Skype or purchase a phone while in the UK, the only part thats sucks is not having BBM.

I"d be happy just with BBM if the data wasn't so outragous.

Anyone taken their BB to the UK and still used BBM without a plan, was it affordable?
    If you are trying to avoid those outragous data charges then I'd highly recommend not to take it with you, that is if you can't stop yourself from using it. I would use the ipod which will not cost me anything and has all the apps except for bbm. If you are staying there for a long period of time then I'd say you should purchase a phone to use in the UK, if its a short term then I'd go with the iPod. Besides you can find wifi hotspots in almost every public places these days right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-11 11:44 PM
    If your phone is unlocked when you get to the Uk get your self a Vodafone PAYG sim. If you ask on here people maybe able to send you one for free or if you have friends in the Uk they might be able to request free sims from vodafone from the link below.

https://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/order/freeSimDetails.jsp?dependantSkuIds=sku690047&skuId =sku180025

But dont buy a PAYG phone from a vodafone store as I belive they are Locked.

If you want to pick up a cheap unlocked phone go to carphonewarehouse nearly all their PAYG phones are unlocked and you will have to buy with a sim and pay for some topup credit (normally 10 pounds) and simply indicate you want A vodafone sim or choose one of the other networks.

I have bought cheap phones from a little more than ten pounds including the top up fee

Vodafone have free Blackberry service on PAYG untill June 30th i think it is.

The others may do similair offers or good deals on cheap calls/texts/data for a fixed amount as well..
    02-15-11 07:46 AM
    O2-UK base their deals off 30-day rolling contracts. You can get a contract for 1 month, pay 20 for it, and get 300 minutes, 12'000 texts, and 500MB data. Trust me, even as a super hardcore BlackBerry users, I can't even hit 100MB on O2-UK. Just be aware that their connection to BIS can be dodgy quite a bit though... However I use them and they will be fine. Are you currently with a GSM operator? If so, then just come to the UK, buy your Vodafone/O2/Orange/3/T-Mobile/Tesco/ASDA/giffgaff SIM and simply pop it in the BB. You will then be connected to a UK operator and charged rates for calls as if they were originating from the UK on a UK SIM.
    02-15-11 09:42 AM
    O2-UK base their deals off 30-day rolling contracts. You can get a contract for 1 month, pay 20 for it, and get 300 minutes, 12'000 texts, and 500MB data. Trust me, even as a super hardcore BlackBerry users, I can't even hit 100MB on O2-UK. Just be aware that their connection to BIS can be dodgy quite a bit though... However I use them and they will be fine. Are you currently with a GSM operator? If so, then just come to the UK, buy your Vodafone/O2/Orange/3/T-Mobile/Tesco/ASDA/giffgaff SIM and simply pop it in the BB. You will then be connected to a UK operator and charged rates for calls as if they were originating from the UK on a UK SIM.
    Telus runs on XEV but I can flip my phone to GSM as I do when I am in the southern states.
    Your idea sounds like a plan and hopefully swicthing the SIM will work but I'm not so sure with a locked phone it will.
    02-15-11 02:08 PM
    With an unlocked handset get a free Tesco PAYG Sim which use the O2 network, top up 10 and they give you an extra 20 FREE credit to use within that month. Buy the BB add-on and 5.00 gets taken from your balance.

The above doesn't give you any free minutes or texts, but you get 500MB of data and with 30 worth of credit for 10 will go a long way
    02-16-11 03:37 AM
    Well I got my phone unlocked so I'll be getting a UK Sim, so I can BBM during the Carling Cup Final SOTV
    02-20-11 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD