Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be heading to europe in september and I figure instead of taking my 9550 and risk getting it stolen and lost, i've got a couple spare 8830's I can register and not care about what happens to them. However, I will be wanting to use phone/data if possible abroad and I don't want to go through my carrier (obviously :P).

Before I ask my question, I want to make it obvious that I know I need to do the following:

-Unlock the phone so I can put in a local, or europe wide SIM card
    -Obtain a SIM card when I land in europe
    -Choose a carrier that will work wherever i'm going

My question is, can I buy a local sim card that has voice, data, or both and still continue to recieve my emails/bbm's using the data on that sim card without registering the device on the european carrier's BIS website?

Hope this is clear enough to answer. Thanks in advance guys.
    01-13-10 12:55 PM
    I can only tell you what I've read - coming up with a Sim card for BB's that does phone and DATA can be an issue.

Someone mentioned:

Unsupported Browser

Although, I did not check it out much....

I used my 8830 last summer in Italy and it was terrific - but I did take the lazy way out and opted for Verizon's Global plan and used mostly data and only a few phone calls in the 3 weeks.

(I don't know what's with Crack's linking this morning but this is the second link to show very ODD results - but the link itself is correct)
    01-13-10 03:16 PM
    Yea, pretty much why I wanted to figure out if there was a way to consolidate it to this thread. Unfortunatly my 8830 is not with Verizon, its with Telus and they bill something like 52 dollars PER meg for international data, not to mention voice is usually 2-5 dollars per minute. Voice aside, its the data i'm concerned about and if its possible.

That and if the 8830 will work on european bands using a european SIM card. I'm pretty sure it will, but confirmation is always nice.
    01-13-10 03:22 PM
    bueller? bueller? Anyone?
    01-18-10 12:20 PM
    I'm not sure what more you are looking for. The 8830 will work on European bands, at least, mine did in Amsterdam, Munich, Austria and Italy (where we spent most of our time).

You probably need to get it UNlocked if you want to use a foreign sim card - Verizon did it for free but they have to be called. If your carrier does not UNlock, then there are 3rd party companies that do.

After that, you need to find a sim that meets your purpose.

So, your carrier not not provide any kind of "global" or foreign travel plan? Nothing that alters (lowers) outrageous rates?

(Seattle, here, so just a southern neighbor - have biked your neck of the woods)
    01-18-10 01:32 PM
    Thats all I needed to hear.

Oh they will, but i'm not in the mood to pay for it. Especially if I want/need to make a call.

(giggity, I love goin to the states , when i'm not being hassled by CBP)
    01-18-10 03:18 PM
    Best bet (in my mind) is to unlock your phone, then do some googling and find out which cell phone companies will provide prepaid BlackBerry plans in your destination country.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 03:52 PM
    Yea thats pretty much what i'm thinking. I found a good one, can't remember what its called off hand, but it looks promising.
    01-18-10 05:32 PM
    Opening an old thread with a slightly different slant. Can anyone recommend a decent data-only (BIS) plan for Europe? I have a friend who is going to be in Europe for a few months. She will be based in one country, but travelling around. She has access to a call/text phone with decent rates, but is looking to be able to use web/bbm/gps on her BB (which is unlocked).

A reasonably priced plan with minutes would be OK too although she won't be using her BB for calls.
    01-11-12 05:29 PM
    Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be heading to europe in september and I figure instead of taking my 9550 and risk getting it stolen and lost, i've got a couple spare 8830's I can register and not care about what happens to them. However, I will be wanting to use phone/data if possible abroad and I don't want to go through my carrier (obviously :P).

Before I ask my question, I want to make it obvious that I know I need to do the following:

-Unlock the phone so I can put in a local, or europe wide SIM card
    -Obtain a SIM card when I land in europe
    -Choose a carrier that will work wherever i'm going

My question is, can I buy a local sim card that has voice, data, or both and still continue to recieve my emails/bbm's using the data on that sim card without registering the device on the european carrier's BIS website?

Hope this is clear enough to answer. Thanks in advance guys.
    Why not try the Xcom Global MiFi. For less than $15 per day you get unlimited 3G data which can even be shared among 5 devices and it works in just about every country in the world.

XCom Global - Unlimited International Mobile Broadband Rentals
    01-11-12 07:11 PM
    What about someone who is going to be there at least a couple of months?
    01-11-12 07:44 PM
    What about someone who is going to be there at least a couple of months?
    Check the Xcom site, the price goes down to $6.35 per day for the MiFi and $5.55 for the USB modem. I don't think you can beat that for unlimited 3G data in Europe if you are visiting.
    01-12-12 04:02 PM
    Not sure but this might be what you are looking for:Maxroam - Low Cost International Roaming for Mobiles and Cell Phones
    01-12-12 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD