I am about to go out of my mind and punch in my monitor. Please tell me what I need to do in order to fix this. I've been struggling with this for 2 days now and haven't really found an answer through thread searching. So here it goes...

Well I setup my Yahoo! e-mail account with Outlook. Part of the package on MS Office Enterprise 2007. Yahoo is POP3 type account but I now have it working on Outlook since I've upgraded to Yahoo Plus. So from there I'm fine. Here's the problem....

On my BIS I'm setup for syncing between the device and desktop program. Here's what happens:

-I receive the e-mail on my phone. Open it. Marked as read and still in my messages box.

-Now when I open up Outlook I receive the same message as "new." Not only that, but when I open the message, the already same "marked read" message in my messages folder on my BB now deletes on its own.

-Or if I receive a new email message on my BB I keep it as new. Then I go ahead and open up the same message in Outlook.

-Now the same message on my BB that I didn't open is now gone!

For right now I turned off syncing through BIS. But I have a feeling I'm missing something. Maybe someone who has experience with Outlook and knows what option I am missing? This is extremely frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by P.O.E.1983; 03-07-09 at 06:11 PM.
    03-07-09 05:55 PM
    Outlook Express is not supported by Blackberry, only Outlook IIRC.
    03-07-09 06:06 PM
    Hmmm. Well mine isn't exactly "Express" I should edit that. It's just "Microsoft Outlook" on MS Office Enterprise 2007...

So still no dice huh?
    03-07-09 06:10 PM
    I use a POP3 account that is accessed by Outlook and my BlackBerry.

When it is polled by BlackBerry, a copy of the message is sent but the original remains on the server for retrival by Outlook. When I am away, I suspend Outlooks poll and it is directed to the BlackBerry.

Reading the message on BlackBerry doesn't mark it read in Outlook.

I have not experemented with deleting messages, I do that with Delete Prior.
    03-07-09 06:23 PM
    I use a POP3 account that is accessed by Outlook and my BlackBerry.

When it is polled by BlackBerry, a copy of the message is sent but the original remains on the server for retrival by Outlook. When I am away, I suspend Outlooks poll and it is directed to the BlackBerry.

Reading the message on BlackBerry doesn't mark it read in Outlook.

I have not experemented with deleting messages, I do that with Delete Prior.
    I can understand the message still showing up as unread on Outlook. But what I don't understand is why the message on the BB is deleted all together whether read or unread, after I've opened the message in Outlook?

And I feel like I'm missing something with "polling." I don't quite understand. Forgive me as I am new to desktop client emailing, coming from strictly internet emailing.
    03-07-09 06:31 PM
    Have you tried setting the POP account in Outlook to "leave messages on the server" for X days? What you are suggesting is pretty much how POP works on syncing with mobile devices. The desktop takes precedent.
    03-07-09 11:10 PM
    I had this problem also with Verizon and Microsoft Office Outlook. Having a copy left on the server, going thru the Verizon site, fixed it for me.
    03-08-09 09:07 AM
    It almost sounds like your account is setup on BIS as IMAP. That will do that. With POP3 in outlook you have it set to leave a copy on the server. Make sure on yahoo side it is set that way too. BIS side set it to not sync and your still getting a new email on both side correct?
    03-08-09 09:25 AM
    Have you tried setting the POP account in Outlook to "leave messages on the server" for X days? What you are suggesting is pretty much how POP works on syncing with mobile devices. The desktop takes precedent.
    This seems to be the answer. I was looking for a setting such as what you suggested for those 2 days and couldn't find it. Once I calmed down I had more patience and looked through it.

So now when I delete something on Outlook it will delete from my BB as well. But if I delete an email on the BB it still shows up as new in the Outlook inbox. But at least I know if I delete on Outlook it will clean up my messages on my BB. Much better than my BB emails deleting automatically when all I do is simply open the same email in Outlook. Thank you kindly for your suggestion! Very well appreciated.
    03-08-09 01:21 PM
    ...I feel like I'm missing something with "polling." I don't quite understand. Forgive me as I am new to desktop client emailing, coming from strictly internet emailing.
    Your Outlook defaults to checking your mail, or polling, every 15 minutes. You can adjust that setting as needed to get quicker access to your mail.

Your BIS account works in much the same way. If I understand it correctly, BIS will poll your account every 15 min, unless there was recent activity. In that case it polls every 1 min. until some threshold is reached, then it returns to the 15 min default.

I have set up my primary account as POP3, but I am tempted to configure a IMAP connection and verify your findings.

03-08-09 02:13 PM
    Your Outlook defaults to checking your mail, or polling, every 15 minutes. You can adjust that setting as needed to get quicker access to your mail.

Your BIS account works in much the same way. If I understand it correctly, BIS will poll your account every 15 min, unless there was recent activity. In that case it polls every 1 min. until some threshold is reached, then it returns to the 15 min default.

I have set up my primary account as POP3, but I am tempted to configure a IMAP connection and verify your findings.

I absolutely understand it now. Never really heard the "polling" term before. Like I said, all new to me.

And as far as the email type: When I setup my Yahoo account it was showing being setup as POP3 type. Looking at it today more closely, it shows the account being as POP/SMTP. Don't know if it's the same or if there are differences.
    03-08-09 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD