08-08-12 12:00 PM
28 12
tools
    Have things slowed down or is it just me?

It feels that things on CrackBerry have slowed down a bit, I don't mean bandwidth and loading speeds. I mean in terms of the "hype". If that makes any sense.

Leaked OS's seem to appear infrequently, leaked devices as well, I hardly listen to any of the Mobile Nation or CrackBerry podcasts anymore. Perhaps its just because I am still rocking a BlackBerry Bold 9000 with OS5, even the release and loading of hybrids isn't what it used to be.

Maybe its just because I'm waiting for BB10, I tried a 9810 Torch, my experience wasn't the greatest (so I gave it to my mom). So this is more of a rant than anything else, but I thought I'd throw a few cents out there since it's been a while since I posted anything at all.
    08-06-12 03:23 PM
    I've noticed it too.

And that's because, well, there's not much else to talk about.

Hope over to Android Central if you wanna stay entertained... I missed one day of checking out AndroidCentral.com and I had to go through 2 and a half pages on the front blog page just to get caught up! It seems like there's 7 or 8 new blog post on the front page every day.
    jrohland likes this.
    08-06-12 03:25 PM
    It will be slow until BB10 hits. I expect BB7 updates to be non-existent as RIM works towards BB10, and likely any last updates for BB7, at least for US carriers, should already be in carrier testing. It will be a long wait till January, but hopefully RIM will start up the new Marketing machine before then and start trying to drum up some excitement.
    08-06-12 03:30 PM
    And it probably won't get any better until November or December when new phones start leaking.
    08-06-12 03:31 PM
    It will not be as busy here, due to the fact that there really is nothing new from RIM. Things should pick up next year, once BB10 is released.

In terms of hybrids, several of the well-known hybrid builders who were active back when I used a 9000 have since switched to Android.

A lot of members who used to be active have also switched to Android. If you were to visit the Android Central forums, I'm sure you'd recognize a lot of the screen names.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    08-06-12 03:31 PM
    No news is.......

Well, no news.
    08-06-12 03:32 PM
    But there is entertainment to be had in Club 500.....

Until things pick up 'round BB10 time.....
    louzer, raino and Engire like this.
    08-06-12 03:36 PM
    We are all waiting for the BB10 news
    08-06-12 03:40 PM
    CrackBerry rides with RIM, when RIM is up.. so is the site. When RIM is low, so is the site.
    08-06-12 03:47 PM
    I'm next waiting for the Playbook 4G review as well as a working playbook update.

Not much else until BB10
    08-06-12 03:54 PM
    I agree that the Crackberry forums have slowed down and there is far less activity here than previously. I think that there are four reasons for this.

First of all, we have been spoiled in the past. Crackberry, up until recently, was the most heavily trafficed site for Blackberry (or any mobile device for that matter) that I had seen. So relative to what we're used to, the change is quite noticable.

The second reason is that with the delay in BB10 and the months between Playbook releases, there is nothing new to talk about on a regular basis. People get tired of the same posts with different titles, authors, and points of view. One of the staples of Crackberry has been the 'need' to check in often to see what new ideas/opinions/problems/suggestions have been raised. With the stagnation of news, I think that people are not coming back as frequently.

The third reason is that Crackberry users, representing a subset of smartphone users in general, are shifting platforms because they either a) have had it with waiting for BB10, b) feel that BB is no longer a platform that competes with other platforms, or c) want a new platfom experience while they wait for BB10. In either case, these people are still used to checking in with Crackberry on a regular basis, but like to post about their experiences with the new platforms and/or their reason for choosing.

This leads to the fourth reason. There are many people who still use the Blackberry platform who are quite zealous about Blackberry feeling that the qualities of the platform that they know and love still outweigh the benefits of functionality afforded to users of other platforms. Then there are people who have left the platform and are enjoying their new homes and are excited to talk about it in the forums that they're already conditioned to having such discussions in. Often times this clash of ideals results in silly arguments that sometimes result in personal attacks that are just not fun to watch. This has spread from individual posts by people wanting to tell about why they left BB that end up in fanboi battles to seemingly 'normal' threads that eventually and quickly disolve into similar arguments and attacks. This is neither fun nor informative.

Just because there is no new news or people switched devices doesn't mean that there is nothing to talk about. There will always be trolls, but recently there have been trolls on both sides of the fence which really benefits no one. But, trolls aside, for fear of sounding cliche, why can't we all just get along.

The iPhone 5 will come out. WP8 will launch. A bunch of new Android phones and new features will hit the market. And RIM will launch BB10 - regardless of anything spoken about in these forums. Nothing that is said here will have any effect on this or the quality of the devices and their respective platoforms. It's been said time and time again, but multiple quality platforms mean a higher set bar for each new release of device and associated platform. The higher the bar, the better quality we, as consumers, can expect.

There is a thread in the Crackberry Rehab secion that is a great example of what a good discussion can look like. If you substitute the off-color jokes and the random observations, and the occasional cocktails for techie talk, you'll find a very diverse group of people from different locations, backgrounds, and with different likes and dislikes (who also sport a vast variety of devices/platforms) who communicate in a civil manner and show respect. One recurring theme in that thread is how nice it is to come back after checking out the traditionally visited forums (News and General Discussion).

Maybe, if some of this respect and civility can return to the rest of the main forums, activity would pick up. After all, a thread that was probably started as a trolling effort that was almost immediately derailed into a fun discussion and subsequently moved to Rehab is moving close to 2000 posts, twice the number of 'likes' and tens of thousands of views. The '5000' thread should not have to be a place to hide while avoiding ugliness in the forums. The forums should be a place that's even more fun to visit.

Just sayin'...

Be Bold! Be Pantless! Be 5000!
    08-06-12 04:05 PM

LOL. Q said in 17 words what took me a whole page to say!
    h20work and pantlesspenguin like this.
    08-06-12 04:08 PM
    Today is also a holiday in 6 Canadian provinces including Ontario, so probably a lot of people went away for the weekend. When you are camping or at the cottage, you won't be online so much.
    08-06-12 04:11 PM
    Have things slowed down or is it just me?

It feels that things on CrackBerry have slowed down a bit, I don't mean bandwidth and loading speeds. I mean in terms of the "hype". If that makes any sense.

Leaked OS's seem to appear infrequently, leaked devices as well, I hardly listen to any of the Mobile Nation or CrackBerry podcasts anymore. Perhaps its just because I am still rocking a BlackBerry Bold 9000 with OS5, even the release and loading of hybrids isn't what it used to be.

Maybe its just because I'm waiting for BB10, I tried a 9810 Torch, my experience wasn't the greatest (so I gave it to my mom). So this is more of a rant than anything else, but I thought I'd throw a few cents out there since it's been a while since I posted anything at all.
    BBX was delayed, most improvements are being made in.....BBX. And since you can't get it now, you don't know about it. So actually a lot is happening, birth is when most cells divide.
    08-06-12 04:11 PM
    Kind of like everybody's on holiday and nobody told you.
    08-06-12 05:06 PM
    CrackBerry rides with RIM, when RIM is up.. so is the site. When RIM is low, so is the site.
    Maybe a fire needs to be lit under the RIM before interest in their products is extinguished by their own inaction. But you are right the traffic on this forum reflects the fortunes and misfortunes of the product maker.
    08-06-12 05:23 PM
    Maybe a fire needs to be lit under the RIM before interest in their products is extinguished by their own inaction. But you are right the traffic on this forum reflects the fortunes and misfortunes of the product maker.
    Not doubt about it. You can only talk about an upcoming product for so long. If we ever get to where it is released, this Site will shine once again with all the great information and assistance it's members bring.
    08-06-12 05:32 PM
    i agree. I haven't checked the forums in weeks. Im not even really interested in Playbook or 9900 updates or news any more. Its kinda weird
    08-06-12 05:35 PM
    Not much new going on these days other than the wait for BB10. Unfortunately the only news about RIM these days are all about how it's finished, and dying etc etc.
    08-06-12 05:54 PM
    I've noticed it too.

And that's because, well, there's not much else to talk about.

Hope over to Android Central if you wanna stay entertained... I missed one day of checking out AndroidCentral.com and I had to go through 2 and a half pages on the front blog page just to get caught up! It seems like there's 7 or 8 new blog post on the front page every day.
    Thats because there are 7 or 8 new Android phones everyday!
    08-06-12 06:14 PM
    If action is what you want. Follow RIM on Bloomberg. The entertainment of Apple vs everyone else for patent infringement is a riot. Basically I think Apple is suing eveyone they can because they have nothing after ios5. lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 until my kick a$$ BB10 is released ! I'm stickin with RIM til one of us dies.
    08-06-12 06:43 PM

Ok.. what's Club 500?

08-06-12 07:34 PM
    Ok.. what's Club 500?

http://forums.crackberry.com/crackbe...5000-a-735950/

Start at the beginning, it's worth it
    pantlesspenguin and louzer like this.
    08-07-12 07:41 AM
    A year ago today the OS 7 devices were just about to drop.

Two years ago today, the OS 6 devices were just about to drop.

Three years ago, we were in the midst of OS 5 leaks galore, and there were rumors galore of new OS 5 devices (which turned out to be the 9700 and Storm 2 released 2-3 months after that).

Four years ago, the 9000 had just dropped (outside of the U.S.) and the Storm was about to come out.

This is the first year that I can remember in which RIM has released nothing of note. The 4G PB and PB OS 2.0? Please.
    08-07-12 07:59 AM
    Well, at least this place isnt' as dead as the old TreoCentral forum (yeah, they're still up).
    08-07-12 09:02 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD