Prem has been such a vocal supporter of Mike and has said that's the only reason he invested in BBRY and that he is a genius.

Now why are they bidding separately?

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-10-13 04:34 PM
    Let the speculation begin.
    10-10-13 04:35 PM
    No, this is Mike and Prem pretending that they didn't plan this all along. Remember the 1bln Fairfax said they wanted to raise to complete the purchase? Yeah, that. At some point in the future Mike's "independent SEC filing" will be canceled or merged with the existing Fairfax bid. That is my prediction for where the dough comes from! It's all shenanigans...
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    10-10-13 04:45 PM
    I don't know, and I'll admit I'm puzzled. I'd just assumed that Mike was part of Prem's deal.

Who knows, maybe he was, but has decided to strike out on his own for some reason. Weird.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    10-10-13 05:29 PM
    No, this is Mike and Prem pretending that they didn't plan this all along. Remember the 1bln Fairfax said they wanted to raise to complete the purchase? Yeah, that. At some point in the future Mike's "independent SEC filing" will be canceled or merged with the existing Fairfax bid. That is my prediction for where the dough comes from! It's all shenanigans...
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why would they do this? What benefit do they get out of doing this rather than just filing a joint bid to begin with?
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-10-13 05:31 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why would they do this? What benefit do they get out of doing this rather than just filing a joint bid to begin with?

Different endgames.

One would like blackberry whole and perhaps the other wants to maximize ROI.
    10-10-13 05:59 PM
    While fairfax put an offer on the table, they by no means even have the money in hand to purchase Blackberry. It's one thing to say you want to buy it it's another thing to actually have the backing and money to follow through.

While some may hate Mike, i am sure he does not want to see it gone for good. If anyone can save it and turn it around i believe Mike could do just that. Fairfax really doesn't care about Blackberry all that much they want to scoop in and take it for a song and get some ROI before they would dump it. Long term Fairfax won't keep the company in tact. Mike on the other hand would keep it all together.
    CecilTsunami likes this.
    10-10-13 06:04 PM
    Well I am assuming Mike knows FFH would probably split up the company and doesn't want that.

Maybe he also knows prem can't raise the cash so he will wait out the due diligence period and then make his offer

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 06:29 PM
    Too make it look like there is more interest for bids for the company maybe
    But I'm no financial professional or such, it's just my first impression when I saw the blog post today

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 06:43 PM
    We can safely assume Watsa spoke to Laz and Laz didn;t like what he heard.

Watsa would need the major shareholders to agree to his purchase plan as any major shareholder could defeat it.

For whatever reasons Laz didn't like what he heard , either didn't like the plan or didn't think Watsa could make a good plan work.

The differnce between Watsa shares and the shares Laz represents is not much.
    One thing is for sure. If Watsa is fishing for investors and he doesn;t have LAz onboard as a future partner it will be more difficult. LAz presents 8% and Fairfax about 10%. They can scuttle each others deals. If the were together on threw 18% into the deal as a starting point then the rest is much easier.

Interesting. It means bioth eblieve BBRY ismore valuable. Watsa needs BBRY at near $20 to get to break even on his shares. That should be acheivable ... but as a private company , then they go back to the market.

keep seeding phones, keep gradually adding BES, keep steady income from patents and QNX installed base and new markets.

wish I could go along for he ride but I think my shares will be bought up.
    10-11-13 09:11 AM
    Or maybe the government ask Mike to handle this before it gets embarrassing for the country.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    10-11-13 09:45 AM
    I've read that Lazaridis wants to hold onto the handset business. Prem wants to make some money. Those two things don't go together.
    10-11-13 10:54 AM
    This is isn't mutually exclusive. The SEC requires notice with their % of ownership if there is any interest or investigation of a purchase. It doesn't give the details of structure.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 11:46 AM
    Prem has been such a vocal supporter of Mike and has said that's the only reason he invested in BBRY and that he is a genius.

Now why are they bidding separately?

Posted via CB10
    I didn't think they were. Did I miss something?
    10-11-13 11:50 AM
    It's called 'posturing' and is a very common tactic in these situations.
    10-11-13 11:51 AM