I saw today on various websites that RIM will be developing a web browser that will rival the Iphone in speed, page rendering, the works. Yep, that's what it said. Just today, I saw that it will incorporate full flash support. Just from those two tidbits of information, by next summer, BBs will have the best web browsers of any smartphone. I can't believe it. It is the one thing that has kept any BB from really being a perfect phone. Any other aspects of BBs can be debated and dismissed due to personal preferences, but the browser was a substantial concern by many BB users. But it will be fixed. Our prayers have been answered. Hmmmm....what will we complain about now?
    08-19-09 03:56 PM
    also, it makes me want to hold off the 9700 Onyx that is coming out later this year. I will wait for the devices that have the browser upgrades.
    08-19-09 04:16 PM
    Keep in mind that RIM has yet to confirm anything
    08-19-09 04:17 PM
    Keep in mind that RIM has yet to confirm anything
    They haven't confirmed that there will be full flash support, but they have stated that they will have an iphone-like or better web browser by next summer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 04:24 PM
    This story was feature on the CB home page a few days ago.
    08-19-09 04:43 PM
    It could happen, but it's not like iphone developers aren't trying to improve their web browsing

08-19-09 05:05 PM
    Whatever RIM comes out with I bet will still fail in comparison to the Safari
    mobile browser. Especially because it won't be out for such a long time. I
    don't think they're sitting on their hands in Cupertino, CA
    08-19-09 05:07 PM
    Yeah, RIM will improve their browser but Apple I'm sure will still be a step ahead... Not that a care, just saying.
    08-19-09 05:44 PM
    also, it makes me want to hold off the 9700 Onyx that is coming out later this year. I will wait for the devices that have the browser upgrades.
    I'm sure when they do upgrade the browser it will be part of an OS upgrade which will more than likely be available for the onyx

08-19-09 06:02 PM
    08-19-09 06:15 PM
    Next summer?! That might as well be forever.
    08-19-09 06:33 PM
    I do think that the web browser will be better but unless they get Steve Jobs and the apple think tank to come over to RIM they are always going to be one step behind the Iphone. If they make it easier for developers to make apps I think it will help.
    08-19-09 06:39 PM
    I use opera mini. Love the speed. I like to see what RIM comes up with though.

08-19-09 07:30 PM
    The question I have is, I am eligable for a new phone in January. If I get a new phone then (possibly Storm 2), would I be able to get the new browser via OS upgrade, or should I just wait to get a new phone?

******That is assuming the rumors are true************
    08-19-09 07:32 PM
    The question I have is, I am eligable for a new phone in January. If I get a new phone then (possibly Storm 2), would I be able to get the new browser via OS upgrade, or should I just wait to get a new phone?

******That is assuming the rumors are true************
    I'm not sure if the new phones coming out before next summer will have the updated web browser or will be eligible for an OS upgrade to receive the revamped browser. I was reading that RIM is working with other companies to develop a processor strong enough to make this possible. The Onyx or Storm 2 wint be involved in that process. Also, they are relying on the 4G network to make the browseras fast as they are advertising. That's not going to happen until sometime next year. Again, RIM will probably need to produce devices that are 4G capable.

08-19-09 07:57 PM
    Who cares what Apple is going to do, I'm a Blackberry guy.
    08-19-09 08:01 PM
    Who cares what Apple is going to do, I'm a Blackberry guy.
    I hear you, but the Apple web browser is touted as the best in the business. BBs are the best all the way around. It would be in RIM's best interest to at least compete with Apple's web browser.

08-19-09 08:04 PM
    I also think that the timing of RIM's pledge to rework the BB browser is interesting. They have slated the summer to be the launching of this new web browser. Well the summer is usually when the new iphone comes out. BB is hoping to still some of their thunder and really go head to head with the iphone's browser.

08-19-09 08:07 PM
    Good news, but next summer is a long time. I still think that iPhone, Android, and Web OS will continue to improve and still be ahead of BB's in the web browsing category.

08-19-09 08:09 PM
    Good news, but next summer is a long time. I still think that iPhone, Android, and Web OS will continue to improve and still be ahead of BB's in the web browsing category.

Not so sure about that. If you look at things logically, BB really only has to fix the browser and the devices will blow the competition away completely. I mean they are already number one. And I'm sure that RIM is tired of consumers bashing the BB browser. If they say they are going to do it, believe it will happen.

08-19-09 08:16 PM
    The full flash support, yes that will most likely require LTE. However, a better browser in general, I doubt it.

Remember, LTE isn't going to be ready for the masses until fall of next year. With that in mind, hoping for a newer browser for the summer of next year means it will still be a non-full flash version. So, that model will be available on the newer 9XXX series, I'm willing to bet.
    08-19-09 08:20 PM
    The full flash support, yes that will most likely require LTE. However, a better browser in general, I doubt it.

Remember, LTE isn't going to be ready for the masses until fall of next year. With that in mind, hoping for a newer browser for the summer of next year means it will still be a non-full flash version. So, that model will be available on the newer 9XXX series, I'm willing to bet.
    That sounds about right. I would like to see what devices they roll out to accommodate the new browser and silverlight flashplayer?

08-19-09 08:24 PM

You do know that no company even has a LTE chip made yet, right? I think Fall of next year for a production phone is a little optimistic.

I am an engineering tech at one the largest CMDA chip manufacturers, and we are still working on LTE. The test base stations that are needed to even develop a chip isn't even built yet.
    08-19-09 08:56 PM
    But we have been hearing reports that the top three carriers will be unveiling 4G networks in the upcoming year.

08-19-09 09:00 PM
    They'll prolly delay like they always do. Not surprised by RIM. Look what happened to the blackberry forum they were suppose to open. Ha. Also Facebook. Delays delays delays.

08-19-09 09:09 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD