But we have been hearing reports that the top three carriers will be unveiling 4G networks in the upcoming year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well, I seriously doubt it. It will take time to finish the test base stations. Then more time to create the chip, then time for the phones and OS's to be engineered for the chip.

I wouldn't count on LTE hitting the commercial market in a phone until 2011
    08-19-09 09:21 PM
    Well, I seriously doubt it. It will take time to finish the test base stations. Then more time to create the chip, then time for the phones and OS's to be engineered for the chip.

I wouldn't count on LTE hitting the commercial market in a phone until 2011
    By the way, here is Qualcomm's site and "evolution path for LTE". It shows LTE in 2011
    08-19-09 09:30 PM
    What about Sprint's WiMax? That's considered 4G and it's already being rolled out.
    08-19-09 10:43 PM
    True, which is why I only mentioned LTE not 4G as a whole.
    08-19-09 11:18 PM
    I hear you, but the Apple web browser is touted as the best in the business. BBs are the best all the way around. It would be in RIM's best interest to at least compete with Apple's web browser.

Definatly not the best in the business but very good. IE Mobile 7 will be better as it supports flash lite among a host of other things as well as "Safari like" rendering according to Engadget. As does the Symbian browser.

My brother has an iPhone and one thing I never noticed is if it uses server side compression or not..
    08-19-09 11:48 PM
    hi i think prayers are always answered by the god as whatever you pray by true heart then it will always become true.
    08-20-09 04:32 AM
    A web browser that's actually "modern"?! Wowie.
    That'd be nice - considering how the current browser is one of the things I like LEAST on the BlackBerry.

This is great news, because even though I enjoy my BB for a multitude of reasons, I still think "1998" whenever I have to surf the web for something.

Now, hoping they can make good on it. Honestly, I'm using the web more and more every day on this thing - I was kinda hoping that by the time I picked up a new Storm 2 or Tour, they'd have a browser that was an order of magnitude better.
    08-20-09 04:35 AM
    I still think the BB browser on the Bold is sufficient, bit I welcome a new browser so that othet users will stop dumping on it. Personally, I wish there were more mobile sites that didn't call for flash than having a browser that renders desktop-like pages with flash and in-page video.

08-28-09 05:47 AM
    Do you know when skyfire is rumored to be released? I would like to try that as well.

08-28-09 08:32 AM
    What is Silverlight used for besides streaming Netflix?
    08-28-09 08:39 AM
    That's a good question. I'm not sure.

08-28-09 08:41 AM
    It's got to have some sort of benefit or RIM wouldn't include it.

Or at least it stands to reason, it might not do much at all.
    08-28-09 08:51 AM
    There's a big fuss over it so it must be awesome, whatever the contribution. I can't wait to find out for myself.

08-28-09 08:53 AM
    yeah, I'm fairly certain RIM isn't going to put something uselss in there but you never know. I'm still very excited, can't wait for a new browser.
    08-28-09 09:14 AM
    Funny thing is, when the Bold does receive a new browser whether its through the update or third party browser, or a new device, my web browsing activity won't change at all. I will still visit the same 10 - 15 sites. And none of them require flash. They are all mobile sites and render perfectly on my Bold.

08-28-09 09:17 AM
    For the most part, I don't have a problem with my Pearl's browser either but there are some sites I tend to avoid because I'm almost certain they won't work.
    The main thing I'm interested in is speed. By the time this new browser is out, I plan on having a new, better BB so that will help as well.
    08-28-09 09:29 AM
    I can't wait til this new web browser comes out :-)

08-28-09 11:00 AM
    RIM is waiting for Adobe's Flash 10 with ARM support.
    08-28-09 09:48 PM
    uh....nope. Don't have my unicorn yet.

On serious note: The bb browser is the worst app for the curve 4.5. Freezes and crashes on slightly more intense webpages. Only good for mobile sites *crackberry anyone?* That said...opera mini! The only thing i don't like about opera mini is that images don't load half way down the page
    08-29-09 02:52 AM
    uh....nope. Don't have my unicorn yet.

On serious note: The bb browser is the worst app for the curve 4.5. Freezes and crashes on slightly more intense webpages. Only good for mobile sites *crackberry anyone?* That said...opera mini! The only thing i don't like about opera mini is that images don't load half way down the page
    You are absolutley right about opera mini. I thought that was happening only to me. I wonder if anyone has a fix for that? When I used to have a WinMo phone, the opera browser was the best thing around. With BBs, you are right, not all of the pictures load which drives me crazy. That's why I started to use the Bolt browser, but I have since gone back to the native BB browser.

08-29-09 06:34 AM
    One of the problems with FlashPlayer and Phones is the battery usage and the fact that even the 8530 doesn't really have the processor speed that most sites (those of us that want to watch movies/tv without data limits.......) Require to do the things that they require you to let them do! Also carriers really don't want you having the ability to run streaming movies and tv from your phone without limits and fees.....think about it!

02-10-10 05:38 PM
    Holy carp this is an old thread.

And I disagree with the carriers not wanting you to download like a madman, bigger data plans are a revenue generator.
    02-10-10 05:44 PM
    waiting for a long time
    02-10-10 10:04 PM
    Now the blackberry can become the best phone!!!
    02-10-10 10:24 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD