Hey everyone. Read my other posts and you will see how otterbox defender case damaged my blackberry classic. I will give more information about that later on. But on the OB warranty site/on the phone they tell you that there is a $6.99 fee *when using the warranty. Do NOT pay it. Why? For the following:

The fee of $6.99 says it is for the following: “[to get] the utmost care for getting you the highest quality in service you deserve…proper packaging by our expert staff”

My question is why are we paying $6.99 to get “the utmost care” and “proper packaging” how did they do it before the $6.99? Without care and packaging?! It baffles me because Otterbox takes pride in customer service but then this. A customer shouldn’t being paying $6.99 toward “utmost care” and “proper packaging”. These two things should be provided for anything under the one year warranty, especially for a company that offered a lifetime warranty with no fee just last year*. Wow.

We all know OB doesn't care about Blackberry, so why not fight?! The reasoning for the fee is written poorly, lets make noise at how they are stealing from us. I already sent an email to them regarding this. A manager even said they go based on popularity so I assume the time they spent making the BB cases are little. Take care of your $50+ case investments, and do NOT pay extra.
    Last edited by zbblover; 04-18-15 at 12:49 AM. Reason: I do not think I was clear specifying it was for a warranty clear
    skstrials and donemt like this.
    04-17-15 10:39 PM
    OR

Just do not buy from Otterbox.

In my opinion, Otterbox is not at the top of their game anymore. Not only did their customer service deteriorated, but the quality of their case went down as well.

I would recommend Seidio. Mind you, their warranty is not much better as well, since they require you to send back the damaged case with your own money. But at least they have a better design.
    zbblover and donemt like this.
    04-17-15 11:07 PM
    OR

In my opinion, Otterbox is not at the top of their game anymore. Not only did their customer service deteriorated, but the quality of their case went down as well.

I would recommend Seidio. Mind you, their warranty is not much better as well, since they require you to send back the damaged case with your own money. But at least they have a better design.
    I wouldnt recommend seidio either, bought the holster and if you dont put the passport in with great care, it just falls down. A $10 holster does a much better job than the seidio will ever do, very bad design inho

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.281
    04-17-15 11:10 PM
    It's just a fee, they do it that way so they can put a lower retail price on it. All companies play this game.

I never bought straight from OB anyway, always a better deal elsewhere. Paid $5 for my Q10 Defender from AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 11:17 PM
    It's just a fee, they do it that way so they can put a lower retail price on it. All companies play this game.

I never bought straight from OB anyway, always a better deal elsewhere. Paid $5 for my Q10 Defender from AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    This is incorrect. In Canada at majority of the big three retail stores the Otterbox defender case for the Classic is going for $59.99 retail + tax. I work for one of the big three, at a retail level. The fee for all OB cases in my store and others in Canada is well priced at $39.99 (symmetry)-$59.99 (Defender). From my knowledge - I have owned many Otterbox cases before - they all were priced within this range, and the warranty was lifetime with no cost until this year. So they are just taking advantage of their buyers, especially with the poor wording of the reasoning behind the $6.99 fee. Where I live I can only find "cheap" OB at Flea Markets that in which may not be real.
    04-18-15 12:45 AM
    OR

Yeah I agree. I am done with OB. I just decided to take better care of my phone and invested in a leather BB sleeve for the classic and soft shell for the classic. Both do the job, and I just have to be extra careful. I will check out what you recommended though!
    04-18-15 12:47 AM
    Is this a Canada thing? I have done at least five otterbox warranties and never have had to pay a fee.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 05:09 AM
    Is this a Canada thing? I have done at least five otterbox warranties and never have had to pay a fee.

Posted via CB10
    Hey! No its an OB thing! (I am pretty sure)! Because it was this year where they implemented their new warranty - but I don't live in the states so I would not know 100%. But from my research I think its just a new OB warranty procedure!
    04-18-15 09:24 AM
    This is incorrect. In Canada at majority of the big three retail stores the Otterbox defender case for the Classic is going for $59.99 retail + tax. I work for one of the big three, at a retail level. The fee for all OB cases in my store and others in Canada is well priced at $39.99 (symmetry)-$59.99 (Defender). From my knowledge - I have owned many Otterbox cases before - they all were priced within this range, and the warranty was lifetime with no cost until this year. So they are just taking advantage of their buyers, especially with the poor wording of the reasoning behind the $6.99 fee. Where I live I can only find "cheap" OB at Flea Markets that in which may not be real.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are they charging this fee when you buy a new OB, or when you exercise your warranty? If it's on the warranty then I agree it's a bit sketchy.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 11:29 AM
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are they charging this fee when you buy a new OB, or when you exercise your warranty? If it's on the warranty then I agree it's a bit sketchy.

Posted via CB10
    It is when you ask for a warranty.

I also asked for a warranty on my Z30 commuter case, and was asked to pay the $7 service fee.

No reason to be emotional about it, I will speak with my wallet, (as in not buying from OB again)

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 12:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Seems like you would have learned your lesson after the first two.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    04-18-15 01:08 PM