I'm reading here and there that there will be no more BlackBerry phones at all except for a licenced agreement in Indonesia only? But I thought BlackBerry were happily partnering with TCL for hand sets and would continue to out source to them on an ongoing basis and only BlackBerry's in house phone building was coming to an end?

Which is it? Out sourced and available globally or exclusive to Indonesia only?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 09:45 AM
    They have contracts to meet and the DTEK60 will be released under the older outsourcing program. Chen hasn't fully decided what they will do about the planned Mercury/Rome, as that doesn't seem to have gotten to far along in develpment yet - at least not to the point of procurement of parts and assembly contracts.

But going forward he kinda told investors that BlackBerry would not be paying for the design, building or distributing of hardware... which the do have to do under current outsourcing. He almost made it sound like they would be wrapping all this up by the end of the fiscal year... so not sure just what their plans are and how they will get this all off the books by then..... he'll have to clarify this befroe launching the DTEK60.

Going forward past these devcies... sounds like hardware will be regionally licensed by other companies - either OEMs or Resellers who have hardware built for them. Which will probably mean that it will come down to does the BlackBerry Brand have a value in your market... if not, then you might not see any new devcies. But as long as someone is building it, you'll be able to bootleg those into your market (if the bands are right). But you'll be on your own for returns and support.
    09-29-16 10:21 AM

Which is it? Out sourced and available globally or exclusive to Indonesia only?

Posted via CB10
    *apparently* China and India also, .... unconfirmed..
    09-29-16 10:24 AM
    *apparently* China and India also, .... unconfirmed..
    Chen is 'talking to' - could go nowhere.
    zocster likes this.
    09-29-16 10:39 AM
    Chen is 'talking to' - could go nowhere.
    but with the rumored USD200 devices coming out of local factory in Indo, I don't see why not ... plenty OEMs in those countries.
    cgk likes this.
    09-29-16 10:49 AM
    but with the rumored USD200 devices coming out of local factory in Indo, I don't see why not ... plenty OEMs in those countries.
    Given BBRY sales in the country most be in the low thousands - what is the advantage of slapping blackberry on your phone?
    09-29-16 11:11 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry is doing very well here in the UK these days, once they were everywhere!
    I've had my passport for almost two years and in this time I've never seen another bb10 device.

So I'm planning to get a priv in a month or two and my better half is receiving a dtek50 for christmas BUT will they still get the security patches if and when BlackBerry exists in name only and as a software company?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 11:22 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry is doing very well here in the UK these days, once they were everywhere!
    I've had my passport for almost two years and in this time I've never seen another bb10 device.

So I'm planning to get a priv in a month or two and my better half is receiving a dtek50 for christmas BUT will they still get the security patches if and when BlackBerry exists in name only and as a software company?

Posted via CB10
    They are doing terrible in every market with every device they have made since bb10 (aka the shareholder value killer)
    09-29-16 12:24 PM
    They are doing terrible in every market with every device they have made since bb10 (aka the shareholder value killer)
    Yeah I know, that's what I'm saying so given they aren't doing well and I'm getting conflicting information as to whether they will still have out sourced hand sets available beyond the end of the fiscal year and will they continue to give timely security patches.

Does anybody actually know what the craic is.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 01:51 PM
    That may be why BB is going the outsource route - cut down on the hardware-related R&D costs.
    They will be relying on their software / security to build sales back up. It may take a while. It may not be successful. It's better than carrying on business as usual and going under more quickly.
    togarika likes this.
    09-29-16 02:01 PM
    Does Canada have a nationalize health system? Why not nationalize BlackBerry too and create a whole fleet of new phones subsidised by the government itself?

Yeah I know, dream on...

Passport!
    09-29-16 02:11 PM
    Does Canada have a nationalize health system? Why not nationalize BlackBerry too and create a whole fleet of new phones subsidised by the government itself?

Yeah I know, dream on...

Passport!
    Well, the health care is SORT of nationalized: the Federal government supplies most of the funding, but each individual province is responsible for the actual delivery.
    09-29-16 02:25 PM
    I believe he said it would be fully shut down by February 2017.

So I'm assuming the dtek60 is their last device for the near future.

I doubt the mercury is coming...

#workwide #OG Black
    09-29-16 02:29 PM
    That may be why BB is going the outsource route - cut down on the hardware-related R&D costs.
    They will be relying on their software / security to build sales back up. It may take a while. It may not be successful. It's better than carrying on business as usual and going under more quickly.
    They aren't outsourcing - DTEK50 was outsourcing - this is "here take a license and if you make any money, sent us some".
    JeepBB, TgeekB and StephanieMaks like this.
    09-29-16 02:30 PM
    Yeah I know, that's what I'm saying so given they aren't doing well and I'm getting conflicting information as to whether they will still have out sourced hand sets available beyond the end of the fiscal year and will they continue to give timely security patches.

Does anybody actually know what the craic is.

Posted via CB10
    It's all there in the earnings call "We will cease this activity entirely and rely entirely on partners".
    09-29-16 02:30 PM

Posted via CB10

That is the real catch. My guess is that after this week's events, no.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 02:56 PM
    They aren't outsourcing - DTEK50 was outsourcing - this is "here take a license and if you make any money, sent us some".
    Yes, big change in model. Current one with the DTEK devices BlackBerry assumes most of the risk and is responsible for distribution, sales, marketing and support. The new model will switch this around, a company that wishes to license the BB name and some software will be responsible for all aspects of the phone lifecycle. Manufacturing, distribution, sales, marketing, support and paying royalties to BlackBerry.
    cgk likes this.
    09-29-16 04:10 PM
    Yes, big change in model. Current one with the DTEK devices BlackBerry assumes most of the risk and is responsible for distribution, sales, marketing and support. The new model will switch this around, a company that wishes to license the BB name and some software will be responsible for all aspects of the phone lifecycle. Manufacturing, distribution, sales, marketing, support and paying royalties to BlackBerry.
    Seeing as it is unlikely anyone will want to licence the name and take the risks, it is quite likely BlackBerry will exist only as apps in phones soon. Not sure what to tell my daughter whose Q10 is dying. She is holding out for a possible pkb BlackBerry. Doesn't want the Priv.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-16 05:40 PM
    Seeing as it is unlikely anyone will want to licence the name and take the risks, it is quite likely BlackBerry will exist only as apps in phones soon. Not sure what to tell my daughter whose Q10 is dying. She is holding out for a possible pkb BlackBerry. Doesn't want the Priv.

Unlike some others here, I think BlackBerry will follow through and release the Mercury device. This will probably be BlackBerry's last phone from their design.
    09-29-16 06:29 PM

Unlike some others here, I think BlackBerry will follow through and release the Mercury device. This will probably be BlackBerry's last phone from their design.

I tend to agree with your daughter on the Priv. I personally think the phone looks cool, but it is too thick for my personal tastes.
    09-29-16 06:30 PM