so during the night i have managed to use up 8MB of my unlimited (and i use the term loosley since o2 uk think unlimited means limited to 200MB) does this sound right or are some setting changes needed or something

cheers
    S.
    04-30-10 02:29 AM
    I'd be looking at the bill to see where they effed it up. There's no way you couldve ran through 8 gb much less 200 mb in 1 night

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 03:34 AM
    The OP wrote that he used 8MB not 8GB. Seems normal. Probably some application left running. Facebook, Twitter, ScoreMobile all kinds of things use data.

To the OP, what applications are running in the background?
    04-30-10 05:29 AM
    Make sure you close applications properly, (press menu button in any app and select Exit or close)
    You can see which apps are running by holding down the menu button

Also if you have a lot of twitter or facebook notifications send to the email adress, which you have set-up on your blackberry, that can explain data usage too
    04-30-10 06:21 AM
    Still, 8 MB is a lot of data to get transferred overnight just sitting there on your desk or whatever. If it is some app, the damn thing needs to be rewritten.
    04-30-10 08:49 AM
    Depends on what you are running. I use my browser constantly, stream Pandora, download Crackberry Podcasts...I use a lot of data. What are you running?

04-30-10 08:55 AM
    When he said "during the night" I took that to mean while he was not using it, otherwise what difference does it make during the night or during the day? If that was not what he meant, then yeah, you could use 8M or 800M, depending on what you do.

2 big MP3s will put you over the 8M limit in less than 20 minutes.
    04-30-10 09:23 AM
    Some users think that if the device is not in their hand and they aren't actively doing anything that the device uses ZERO data which is not the case, obviously.
    04-30-10 12:12 PM
    Maybe you have a sleeping disorder in which you use your BB while unconscious.

04-30-10 12:26 PM
    What apps do you use?
    04-30-10 04:58 PM
    Its not possible to use that much data even if ur running fb, twitter, scoremobile, ect...unless ur streaming a video unconsciously or a radio player. I was streaming youtube videos, browsing the web, using apps like fb twitter scoremobile google maps ect... In one day and the most I got was 5MB. Idk what app(s) ur running in the background but it sure is one **** of a data drainer :P

04-30-10 07:35 PM
    Sounds like something was left running. One other explanation; the BlackBerry really is like crack - maybe someone needed a moonlight hit.
    04-30-10 09:44 PM
    I have never heard of someone using that much data in one night. There's obviously an issue there, like an app left open or something. No way could that happen just sitting on a table or in a charging dock.
    05-01-10 12:01 AM
    do you have any apps that do video streaming or podcasts running?
    05-01-10 12:20 AM
    The OP needs to clarify what he means by "during the night". Also, how is he checking his data usage? I am on Verizon and there is an application (or I could logon to their website and check) and it allows you to view how much data you've used during the billing period. I believe the figures are updated daily, not realtime. If that were the case, let's say he checked his usage and it says "40MB this month", he goes to bed and when he checks it in the morning it says "48MB this month". Well, maybe that 8MB usage is a reflection of the entire 24 hrs. (Yesterday)...

I don't know. What I do know is, a 200MB "unlimited" plan is insane. That service provider is terrible for putting such a small limit on a smartphone. I think I average around 500MB per month and I almost never use streaming services like Pandora. If I do, I usually approach 1GB of data usage.

05-01-10 01:27 AM
    I wouldn't put it past me to use 100+ MB's a day, sometimes even more.
    05-01-10 10:34 AM
    hi all, so by 'over night' i mean sat around at home doing nothing, i work nights and dont take my phone with me as i have company phone for while im there, as for apps the only ones i run dont appear to use any web, excluding ubertwitter wich i close with the menu button and select close, i check my usage on my network website. hope this helps.

cheers
    05-01-10 04:07 PM
    Really 8mb doesn't seem like that much data, I just got my new BB over a week ago and some how I have already used 118 MB! Now that my friend is a lot! I'm actually pretty proud of that, of course I'm running 3 e-mail addresses, MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and SmrtGuard!
    05-01-10 06:32 PM
    hi all, so by 'over night' i mean sat around at home doing nothing, i work nights and dont take my phone with me as i have company phone for while im there, as for apps the only ones i run dont appear to use any web, excluding ubertwitter wich i close with the menu button and select close, i check my usage on my network website. hope this helps.

cheers
    Well, I can tell you one thing: clicking the menu button and selecting "Close" doesn't stop Ubertwitter from running. It moves to the background, so you're still receiving data. To shutdown the application, you press the menu button and select "Exit".

05-01-10 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD