has the media pushed them to the back of the room. Perhaps it is the source of info I have been getting from Viigo. It seems the light is shinning on Apple and how many wonderful things it is doing. I am not against Apple or Microsoft getting a little lime light. But give me a break enough is enough. You would have thought the reporters blogging about the two companies greatness was a love affair.

RIM appears to be fourth and behind third place Google in the news. So is RIM not feeding enough info or letting out enough leaks about the upcoming changes and additions to their product?

So is it just me that sees this or have others noticed the same thing I see?

I deleted Viigo from my bold and seeing it as another biased news feed. Take a look at who the feeds are from. Like Yahoo and other affiliates. Just check this link out at Viigo
    Press Releases | Newsroom | Viigo

The only sources that reported on Rim was Crackberry and Blackberry. Which were very limited and usuallly consisted of old news. No offense Crackberry. At least your honestly trying to recruit info from outside sources.

Open for discussion!

Mike Cope
    09-23-09 07:45 PM
    RIM is doing fine and is selling millions of phones every quarter. The 8310 sold more than any other smartphone last quarter. They're fine.
    09-23-09 07:48 PM
    RIM is doing fine and is selling millions of phones every quarter. The 8310 sold more than any other smartphone last quarter. They're fine.
    This is false. All the 83xx models sales were lumped into one single
    number. It is highly doubtful that any 83xx device on it's own was the highest
    selling model.
    09-23-09 07:57 PM
    Nobody offers the security and legendary "Push" email system that the BlackBerry does. It will be around for quite some time...
    09-23-09 08:06 PM
    RIM is just plotting its next move. I think the iphone gave them a run for their money, and they have to be careful to not screw up while catching up. They have experience, let's just hope they take a good next step. Let's see if the Storm II or the other hyped soon to be released phones are a game changer or not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-09 08:07 PM
    Ya I don't think rim is hurting at all maybe they don't want as much publicity so nothing gets leaked

09-23-09 08:14 PM
    The media is in love with all things Apple. Not really surprising since Apple and Hollywood have been close for a long time. (Notice what kind of laptop most movie characters are using? 90% of the time, it's got a great big Apple logo.)

Everywhere I turn, I am bombarded with iPhone marketing and, in some cases, propaganda. I've felt this for a while, and it does get tedious. The most annoying thing though is the fact that a large number of iPhone users are oblivious to its shortcomings. Yes, it's a nice piece of hardware that does some things better than most. But there are significant flaws, too.

I have nothing against Apple or the iPhone, and I love my BB. But all of these things are just communication devices. As long as I have a device that has the tools I need and performs at a high level, the media and press can fawn over whomever they want.
    09-23-09 08:31 PM
    I think BB doesn't need to talk themselves up so much. I see so many ppl jabbering about all the things the IPhone does, only to realize a blackberry does a lot of the exact same functions.

I think its really about knowing what you're buying and knowing how to properly utilize that product.
    09-23-09 08:40 PM
    What I find interesting is on this site. A good pole would be one that showed those that switched to an iPhone and said nah and went back to BB.

I have read a lot of posts indicating that has taken place.

It is good to be Bold in the smart phone industry. LOL

Mike
    09-24-09 01:33 AM
    What never ceases to amaze me is the number of people that
    think the BB walks on water.

Yes the security is exemplary and push email is a godsend but
    where is the innovation.

OS is stale as 2 week old bread.

Every new device is a variation on an existing device: Curve is
    a Pearl with a QWERTY k/board. Bold is a bigger Curve with 3G
    (how exciting). Javelin is and updated Curve. Tour is a Javelin
    for CDMA, etc.... Storm was a foray into touchscreen and by
    all objective measure a massive failure.

RIM and the BB does not get the press of other devices because
    there is simply nothing to talk about.

With the introduction of the Pearl the BB moved into the
    consumer space and still treat the platform as a mostly
    business device.

Adding a camera, memory card support, media player ( which
    truly stinks), and video capture (which less vaunted phones
    had years ago) is not innovation. It is follow the leader.
    09-24-09 01:48 AM
    While I greatly respect you, and your opinions, I must disagree with a few things.

OS is stale as 2 week old bread.

I would have agreed with this, before using .230 on the Tour. I was truely impressed with the improvements made to the OS by RIM. IMO, RIM has always had the "most functional" OS, and with the addition of threaded SMS, ring and vibe simultaneously, increased speed, the incredible multitasking ability (just to name a few), it has become even more usable.

Every new device is a variation on an existing device: Curve is
    a Pearl with a QWERTY k/board. Bold is a bigger Curve with 3G
    (how exciting). Javelin is and updated Curve. Tour is a Javelin
    for CDMA, etc...

What new model by and manufacturer isn't an upgrade on a prior? RIM just changes the name and model number. The difference between iPhone and the iPhone 3GS was incremental, just as the differences in the BlackBerry models.

Storm was a foray into touchscreen and by
    all objective measure a massive failure.

I do agree with this, but IMO, it was a BETA device... Kinda feeling the waters to see what consumers (business owners especially) really NEED in a touchscreen, and I hope the Odin has improved upon the Storm tremendously.

With the introduction of the Pearl the BB moved into the
    consumer space and still treat the platform as a mostly
    business device.

RIM never vaunted their devices as anything but business devices, these improvements are attempts to make them more consumer friendly.

Adding a camera, memory card support, media player ( which
    truly stinks), and video capture (which less vaunted phones
    had years ago) is not innovation. It is follow the leader.

As I stated earlier, the BlackBerry is a business device at heart and RIM has been faithful to its true nature, while attempting to appeal to the masses as well. They are a bit behind others, but are leading the race for any similar business device available.

09-24-09 02:11 AM
    Old OS with constantly growing marketshare, insane profit vs marketshare ratio, and rising stock prices...

Maybe they're doing something right. I'd probably even switch to the 9700 from my X1 if it wasn't for the far more expensive data plan...
    09-24-09 02:14 AM
    @ Dr S, you know we are virtually simpatico but:

1) If RIM went into the consumer space, staying in the business
    realm is just a bad decision from a marketing and a long term
    strategy standpoint.

2) The issue wasn't about RIM vaunting their devices but
    about some supposed bias on the part of technology reviewers.
    If RIM did it it I'd still be laughing. But the objective view
    of the press I agree with.

3) Even with the OS upgrades, can you or anyone backup to
    and restore from the memory card (I was doing that in 2000),
    store and run apps from the card (again, 2000), switch profiles
    via a dedicated key, have a real browser, full flash support,
    and the list goes on...?

4) The statement that the BB is a business device went out
    the window with the introduction of the Pearl, and if you look
    at the demographic on this site alone you will see most people
    who currently buy a BB are not business users in any respect.

No matter the difference of opinions I hope you know I have mad
    respect for you and value your input and opinions.
    09-24-09 02:34 AM
    Flash is the devil, seriously I wish phones would *not* include flash capable browsers...
    09-24-09 02:49 AM
    You can go through and nit pick the flaws of the BB but and BB owner can also do the same for any other phone on the market! That's a dumb battle with no winners! The question is whether or not Rim is taking a back seat. Well let's take a look at the top sellers for the last couple of quarters. Android is by far not number 3, because you are forgetting about Nokia (Symbian) which world wide is the most used phone and OS! Here in America even, Nokia sits pretty high! Rim is one of the highest Brands and OSes on the market. The iphone does well but can't over take it. Most would say that if the Iphone was on other carriers it would dominate, I don't agree with that. What would happen is more people would recognize the flaws in that phone and would be scrambling to other devices. Rim has taken anything but a backdoor in America! Its the leading business phone, windows mobile devices fall in line next (mostly HTC) devices. They are on every TV show everywhere! They are rampant on colleges campuses across the US because of their ability to help students get work done. I would say at my University we have an equal number of Blackberries to Iphones currently. Everyday I hear of someone else making the switch. I had an iphone and I couldn't stand the thing because it did everything good but nothing great! My Blackberry is great at what I need it to be great at! Many people tell me the same about their iphones, they have great apps but texting is a pill, or battery life sucks, or the push email system is screwy! I've heard and seen it all. In my world, here in Nashville TN the Blackberry is still kicking real strong!

09-24-09 02:56 AM
    @ Dr S, you know we are virtually simpatico but:

1) If RIM went into the consumer space, staying in the business
    realm is just a bad decision from a marketing and a long term
    strategy standpoint.

2) The issue wasn't about RIM vaunting their devices but
    about some supposed bias on the part of technology reviewers.
    If RIM did it it I'd still be laughing. But the objective view
    of the press I agree with.

3) Even with the OS upgrades, can you or anyone backup to
    and restore from the memory card (I was doing that in 2000),
    store and run apps from the card (again, 2000), switch profiles
    via a dedicated key, have a real browser, full flash support,
    and the list goes on...?

4) The statement that the BB is a business device went out
    the window with the introduction of the Pearl, and if you look
    at the demographic on this site alone you will see most people
    who currently buy a BB are not business users in any respect.

No matter the difference of opinions I hope you know I have mad
    respect for you and value your input and opinions.
    I agree fully with these statements, and as far as press biased, the press' opinions, along with the majority of smartphone users'. Would drastically change if they stopped comparing these devices as though they were equals. My dad always taught me that there is a different tool for a different job, and these phones each perform a different job more effectively than the others. As far as the behind the times browsing, with the vast improvements made by 3rd parties, I'd expect to see RIM start putting out some impressive updates.

And the respect is mutual my friend.

09-24-09 03:23 AM
    I think that RIM doesn't have to worry, BlackBerry sells itself. I have 2 friends with iphones and they hate them. They can't Bluetooth rings, they have to get them online, and the lack of buttons kills interface. The only upsides are huge internal memory(RIM needs a xxGB device with full java to kill iphone) and the browser. As far as actual usage and texting, they miss BB for the physical key pad and easier navigation with a TB. The iphone is only opular with kids, it is just a big toy for teens, but I see more and more teens with BB now too.

09-24-09 03:46 AM
    Here in Vancouver, I estimate for about every five BlackBerry users, there's a single person with an iPhone. Within one of my circle of friends, pretty much every single person has a BlackBerry, primarily because BBM is so much faster than texting.

On the other hand, it's also a lot easier to get a BlackBerry, compared to a new iPhone that Rogers has been out of stock of for quite some time now (according to the recorded message, but I haven't checked in a while, nor do I really care to).
    09-24-09 05:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD