05-29-10 01:40 AM
66 123
tools
    I agree that iPhones are toys and while they are fun to play with (my sis-in-law has one that I played with recently) it just doesn't compare to the security and user-ability that I need from a BB. But then again, I'm a government user and our IT simply won't set up our DOD accounts on an iPhone so what does that tell you about security...
    05-26-10 09:11 PM
    I didn't know that you couldn't be a mod unless you had BB embedded in your brain.

*eyeroll*

I can tell you I never had the problems with memory or performance, the constant battery pulls, with any phone except BB. And I sure as heck don't miss it either. I have never had a phone before that I had to constantly do stupid little maintenance on for it to be useable, and then have it unusable while it rebooted for the 17th time that day. So, even if they are more secure than iPhone, which I still don't 100% buy (I'm sorry, I think alot of it has to do with government contracts that can't be broken and RIM was the main game in town for a long time), they sure are a buggy, buggy bunch.

I haven't restarted my phone in over a week. It's so refreshing! And, I only took off the battery cover to put on the touchstone backing. Freedom!
    Last edited by reeneebob; 05-26-10 at 09:24 PM.
    05-26-10 09:15 PM
    I'm a government user and our IT simply won't set up our DOD accounts on an iPhone so what does that tell you about security...
    It tells you your entire IT department should be fired for pure laziness alone.
    05-26-10 09:19 PM
    "nuff said.

I work for a governmental agency and almost a year ago we took almost 300
    BlackBerrys out of service (full disclosure: on my recommendation) and replaced them other devices.

This may come as a total shock to you but we are as secure as we were with RIM.
    are you running additional encryption on these devices?
    and I'd love to see a copy of your recommendation.
    05-27-10 10:15 AM
    i'll have to check my emails. Honestly, i downed nothing i just asked for one
    person to explain the security of the bb. No one has but they are sure as heck
    hurt by a different point of view.

Gotta love fanboys
    procrastinators unite
    05-27-10 10:17 AM
    procrastinators unite

Later . . . .
    05-27-10 06:48 PM
    I'm not a fan boy. I just love my Blackberry. I didn't think it was a sin to love and support Blackberry on a Blackberry based site. And I'm not a tech nerd or anything like that. I don't know all the inside workings and I don't download every leak. I run a garden center and build lowriders and my Blackberry does everything I need it to do. I have it loaded with all sorts of apps and music and pics and never had to do daily or hourly battery pulls on any of my blackberry phones. And I've never had any issues with any kind of viruses or other security issues. My blackberry works and works well. And I come to Crackberry to see what's new with Blackberry and get enlightenment but all I read is negativity. A lot of useful info is wasted because no one posts because they know their input will be buried in negativity.
    05-27-10 06:53 PM
    I agree topshooter...seems more than not there were people that loved their BB's, but have since moved on, which is fine...however seems a lot of people tend to stick around here and start bad mouthing BB's, something they once enjoyed...or get people coming in here on blast mode...

I see more negativity than I see positive anymore on this site...sad to see really.

And I don't care who owns what phone, but seems like most people are against BB's for some reason...

Okay so you like your new device. Move over to their forum...right,no! I have friends here, okay...then keep trap closed? Can't....

How it seems anyway...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 07:21 PM
    Yeah there seems to be a lot of flaming. I guess it's a result of people with too much time on their hands? I just come here to check the latest rumors about the BB Bold 9650, and that's about it. I like Blackberrys but I also think other phones are cool. I guess my main reason for sticking with Blackberry is that I can't take a camera phone in to work with me because of corporate policies against them. Most other phones without cameras suck.

I'm waiting for the 9650 to come in a non-camera version. I also like having a physical keyboard much more than a touch screen, but i still find the touch screen phones cool. The security of BB is a plus, esp. after watching the interview with the VP of RIM's global security. For all those reasons I will keep using Blackberrys. Other phones are cool, kind of like having a PSP that can also make calls. But those types of phones aren't what I want/need in a phone. It's all just a preference I guess. But I wouldn't say one phone invalidates another unless there's a really huge gap in functionality, and I can't say that I feel limited with my BB. It does what I need it to do, and does it without any hiccups.
    Last edited by TheRunningMan; 05-27-10 at 10:04 PM.
    05-27-10 10:01 PM
    Yeah there seems to be a lot of flaming. I guess it's a result of people with too much time on their hands?
    People tend to have more free time when they aren't doing battery pulls followed by 5-9 minute boot times. What do you expect?
    05-27-10 10:09 PM
    I guess I'm one of the lucky few that doesn't have that problem. I've nevef had to return a Blackberry for being faulty, or have super horrible memory leaks and what not. And I spend A LOT of time on my Blackberry phones. I actually met a guy in Lowe's, where I work, who saw my storm and was jealous because his iPhone had crapped out and he was never happy with it's functioning, battery, or overall feel. He was also military. Said it was a fun phone but didn't work real well. I told him to join the iPhone forum sister to Crackberry and talk about how iPhones sucked and he was going to BB. It's all preference for everyone, same with computers and cars. I'm sure for running a chauffeur business, or being a rich guy, a Rolls Royce Phantom or Drophead Coupe are wonderful with all their options and high tech stuff, but I'm fine with my Hyundai Accent. It drives, keeps me cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and plays music. I'll stick to my Blackberry.
    05-27-10 10:42 PM
    I agree topshooter...seems more than not there were people that loved their BB's, but have since moved on, which is fine...however seems a lot of people tend to stick around here and start bad mouthing BB's, something they once enjoyed...or get people coming in here on blast mode...

I see more negativity than I see positive anymore on this site...sad to see really.

And I don't care who owns what phone, but seems like most people are against BB's for some reason...

Okay so you like your new device. Move over to their forum...right,no! I have friends here, okay...then keep trap closed? Can't....

How it seems anyway...

I agree. Crackberry has become such a negative place for all bb fans.

There are so many xphones fans coming on the site bashing the bb platform and the administrators aren't doing anything to stop this.

Most of these kind of threads get started and go nowhere. Many bb fans gets personal and defensive with the topic.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and have a favourite phone but if it isn't bb related then they are posting in the wrong community forum imo.
    05-28-10 12:42 AM
    Agreed. I'm thinking of focusing more on the smaller sites like blackberry empire or whatever.

05-28-10 01:08 AM
    I agree. Crackberry has become such a negative place for all bb fans. Many bb fans gets personal and defensive with the topic
    If someone takes it personally when their phone is criticized, which person does that honestly reflect more negatively on?
    05-28-10 04:43 AM
    If someone takes it personally when their phone is criticized, which person does that honestly reflect more negatively on?

It reflects negatively on the person coming in to a fan site and posting negative comments about the phone when ever possible

Fan sites exist because people learn to love the piece of technology that they use for many hours a day.

It is like a Sports Team, or a TV Show, or a clothing line. you connect to things, and don't like hearing them being dissed,
    05-28-10 05:17 AM
    It reflects negatively on the person coming in to a fan site and posting negative comments about the phone when ever possible

Fan sites exist because people learn to love the piece of technology that they use for many hours a day.

It is like a Sports Team, or a TV Show, or a clothing line. you connect to things, and don't like hearing them being dissed,
    Sorry. I hate to disagree with you but there is NOTHING that you can say to me about my phone that will upset me. That is ridiculous.
    05-28-10 06:20 AM
    Sorry. I hate to disagree with you but there is NOTHING that you can say to me about my phone that will upset me. That is ridiculous.

Do you have a favourite sports team?
    Some people don't get connected to "things" others do

I don't really care if you talk the truth about the faults in my phone, nor if you talk up a phone I don't use, I love my blackberry, not for it as a object but what it does for me, and how I keep connected with family and friends,

But I often get in debates why my Ford Truck is better than GreatMetalCrap,

it's about personal preference, many people like to feel like they've made a good choice so they defend their choice of purchase.

It is petty of someone to come into an Enthusiast site, just to push those peoples buttons,

Although it seems BB users are some of the most protective users of their choice, they are also the most bashed and infiltrated users, so many EX bb users want to come in and tell BB users why they NEED to leave bb.

I appreciate loving another device, I visit other device forums when I want info on them, I don't go into them to post why user xxx should drop his phone and get a BB,

it is far more petty for the NON bb user to be hanging out here just to talk trash about a BB,
    05-28-10 07:27 AM
    Do you have a favourite sports team?
    Some people don't get connected to "things" others do

I don't really care if you talk the truth about the faults in my phone, nor if you talk up a phone I don't use, I love my blackberry, not for it as a object but what it does for me, and how I keep connected with family and friends,

But I often get in debates why my Ford Truck is better than GreatMetalCrap,

it's about personal preference, many people like to feel like they've made a good choice so they defend their choice of purchase.

It is petty of someone to come into an Enthusiast site, just to push those peoples buttons,

Although it seems BB users are some of the most protective users of their choice, they are also the most bashed and infiltrated users, so many EX bb users want to come in and tell BB users why they NEED to leave bb.

I appreciate loving another device, I visit other device forums when I want info on them, I don't go into them to post why user xxx should drop his phone and get a BB,

it is far more petty for the NON bb user to be hanging out here just to talk trash about a BB,
    I love you. Seriously. I wish this entire post popped up every time someone posted a "BB vs iPhone" or "Why BB sucks and X Phone is digital sex!" threads.

TheOne, I'm so tired of reading your posts full of nothing but brainwashed, unintelligent, anti-BB drab. Your posts are nothing but grey negativity, but I guess personal insecurities pop up where you least expect them. Thank you CB for the ignore button.

And anyone running a hybrid OS on their BB is running a hacked OS. Your point?
    It's file shuffling. There's nothing 'hacked' about them. There's no free applications or root changes to the OS in hybrids.

Tell this to my fiance, who for the last 4+ months gets his emails all at once on his BB, usually around 3am, all in a clump, at least 3 times a week. Bell has already determined it is RIM server side. No explanation.

Hopefully nothing really important is in them, otherwise he's screwed. Some tool.
    Having a line on both Telus and Bell (CDMA and HSPA+, respectively) and my sister is on Bell CDMA, this is bullsh*t. Sorry. You can say what you will, but that sounds like your fiances email servers. Both my sister and I get all our emails as soon as they arrive, on both available networks. I highly doubt a RIM server issue only affects one of hundreds of thousands of Bell BlackBerries.
    05-28-10 08:03 AM
    No but you have issues, likewise, coming into a customer/fan forum and making fun of people's accessories and products.

Are you so insecure with your choice of phone that you must go into a competitor's forum and try to convince all those members that you didn't make a mistake?

Last edited by kb5zht; 05-28-10 at 08:59 AM.
    05-28-10 08:55 AM
    05-28-10 08:59 AM
    Those that think the iPhone is as secure of a device as a Blackberry need to read the following articles:

iPhone security lapse allows for data read access Boy Genius Report

iPhone vulnerability leaves your data wide open, even when using a PIN -- Engadget

More technical article: iPhone business security framework Bernd Marienfeldt
    Last edited by goelz83; 05-28-10 at 09:30 AM.
    05-28-10 09:12 AM
    Wow. I think everyone needs to take a timeout and realize if we can't discuss pluses and minuses of phones like BB and iPhone (because none of them are perfect) without getting defensive, maybe we should take up a new hobby. Be polite when bringing up an article that compares and contrasts. Don't hate on someone who disagrees with you. If we can do that, this site will continue to grow and be a place where people can meet and learn. If not...
    05-28-10 09:25 AM
    I'll have to check my emails. Honestly, I downed nothing I just asked for ONE
    person to explain the security of the BB. No one has but they are sure as heck
    hurt by a different point of view.

Gotta love fanboys
    Ok, I'll bite
    Here's some stuff that I found by searching Google:
    iPhone vs. BlackBerry: A mobile device comparison - Sophos

Best Smartphone for IT: Blackberry vs. iPhone vs. Android — Datamation.com

This was put together in 2009:
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/ataglan...ing_system.pdf

This assessment is more iPhone biased, and it seems that some of the above articles still show more strengths of the BB system:
    Security Updates plus 46 Security fixes – iPhone Is Enterprise Ready Now!? | NetworkWorld.com Community

Here's one more, just for fun:
    Register or Login to Subscripton Services

A couple of these articles compare the BB to the iPhone directly, others include some different operating systems, etc, but they do explain the security features of the BB, like you asked for.
    05-28-10 09:29 AM

This guy speaks TRUTH, especially about the sports team thing! It's not about being petty and sweating small stuff, it's about passion. People are passionate about the things they love. I love the USA, my wife, my cars and my Carolina Panthers. Dis any of them and I will be ready to punch you in the face, literally or figuratively, whichever is at my diposal.

Is it just me or do these BB v. IPhone comparisons seem very similar to the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" commercials....?

05-28-10 09:33 AM
    Aww man now this is a hilarious thread lol
    05-28-10 09:42 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD