05-26-10 11:35 AM
    Even IT's departments are susceptible to bandwagons. All it takes it one 20-30ish y/o guy in the IT department who thinks he's trendy and suddenly the company has iPhones for work. lol
    05-26-10 11:57 AM
    I'm going to go over to an iPhone forum just to see if they talk about BlackBerry(or Android) nearly as much as BlackBerry users here talk about the iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 12:06 PM
    Has RIM 'peaked'
    No . ............
    05-26-10 12:11 PM
    if an IT dept switches to iphone.. then they are stupid. The security of a BB is far better than iphone. iphones are toys. period.
    05-26-10 12:14 PM
    I'm going to go over to an iPhone forum just to see if they talk about BlackBerry(or Android) nearly as much as BlackBerry users here talk about the iPhone.

They don't. I've been on the tipb.com (CrackBerry's sister site for the iPhone) site for a few months now and I don't think I've seen a single forum posting referring to blackberries.
    05-26-10 12:19 PM
    No - probably not, because they are probably happier with their devices *snort*

Seriously, mention iPhone and watch the fanbois descend on this site, it's actually kinda sad...

EDIT-

it took 5 posts for the "iPhones are toys" to be posted.
    05-26-10 12:22 PM
    They don't. I've been on the tipb.com (CrackBerry's sister site for the iPhone) site for a few months now and I don't think I've seen a single forum posting referring to blackberries.
    That may be because there is nothing Blackberry offers that they care about.

I suspect iPhones and other competitors are spoken about here so often because they have something many Blackberry owners want but RIM can't/won't develop and integrate in to their current or future phones and/or OS.

Seems like simple common sense to me.

05-26-10 12:25 PM
    if an IT dept switches to iphone.. then they are stupid. The security of a BB is far better than iphone. iphones are toys. period.
    Really? Let's try a little test. Answer these two questions, IN DETAIL.

What is the underlying security architecture of a BlackBerry and HOW is it
    superior to other platforms?

If a user only uses a BlackBerry for messaging, music, videos, games..... how is
    it not as much of a "toy" than an iPhone? The point here is that the usefulness
    of any device depends on the person using it. Consider that if you choose to
    answer this question.
    05-26-10 12:27 PM
    I guess that "toy" thing never gets old. Cna you at least come up with another word? try "plaything" or "trinket".
    05-26-10 12:27 PM
    Oh no! NOT ANOTHER BB vs. iPhone thread!!! These threads should be locked because the discussion gets nowhere and it becomes very negative. As a Crackberry member, I'm getting really sick of this because it isn't necessary to have a new thread everyday about iPhone vs. Blackberry.
    Last edited by thymaster; 05-26-10 at 01:01 PM.
    05-26-10 12:53 PM
    Yes, RIM has peaked...they are done. They did not pay close enough attention to what the 12 year olds wanted and now all the corporate and government businesses that used to buy bb because of data security and email will be dropping them for more games and apps. Oh well, it was a good run while it lasted.

If you're wanting an iPhone because you want something more media and game friendly, go get one. They work great, as do the droids, but none of them are going to destroy the bb business. There are so many phones because there are so many personal preferences.
    Last edited by grey; 05-26-10 at 03:21 PM.
    05-26-10 03:17 PM
    corporate and government businesses that used to buy bb because of data security
    And yet another person trumpeting the security of the BlackBerry WITHOUT
    actually explaining what that means or how it is better than any other platform.
    05-26-10 03:26 PM

I believe the answer you require is covered here: Interview with Scott Totzke, VP of Global Security Group for Research in Motion | CrackBerry.com

The real proof is in-service performance and operator perception. To date there are no credible reports of a successful attack against a BB device without assistance (willing or otherwise) from the user to install rogue software. Compare that with widely reported compromise of competing devices, both in the wild and demonstrated during Black Hat conventions.
    05-26-10 03:35 PM
    Not to mention the iPhone's constant "Jailbreaking" which is a form of hacking.

05-26-10 03:37 PM
    And yet another person trumpeting the security of the BlackBerry WITHOUT
    actually explaining what that means or how it is better than any other platform.
    I confess that I don't have a clue to what lies behind bb data security, but if banks, and the government (particularly all of the federal law enforcement agencies...FBI, ICE, CIA, ATF, etc...) will use bb's exclusively, then that's a strong enough endorsement of data security. I don't feel a need to know the details any more than I need to know how to build an engine from scratch in order to drive my truck. But above all of what I do and don't know, I think that everybody should get whatever phone they want. It just frustrates me when people buy a bb, and then complain because it doesn't do what an iphone or droid do. If anyone is not happy with what their bb does, go get something else.
    05-26-10 04:02 PM
    I confess that I don't have a clue to what lies behind bb data security,
    "nuff said.

I work for a governmental agency and almost a year ago we took almost 300
    BlackBerrys out of service (full disclosure: on my recommendation) and replaced them other devices.

This may come as a total shock to you but we are as secure as we were with RIM.
    05-26-10 04:30 PM
    All I can say is that if e-mail is important iPhone is a NO NO. The iPhone e-mail is a bit un-predictable, sometimes your e-mails come through fine. Other times, there is a 20 minute delay or more before you get them! It is annoying, and I don't even use e-mail much! Also the iPhone has no multi-tasking at the moment. In the next software update it will get multi-tasking, but if you watch a youtube video on it, the multitasking isn't going to be all that great.

Blackberry = more of a "tool"
    iPhone = more of a "toy".

In conclusion, you choose what suits you best. However, I do think that quality of RIM products are higher, then that of Apple.
    05-26-10 07:16 PM
    That may be because there is nothing Blackberry offers that they care about.
    Either that, or it's because we have over 2mil users on these forums. It would be a miracle if every one was harmonious with one another.
    05-26-10 07:23 PM
    Not to mention the iPhone's constant "Jailbreaking" which is a form of hacking.

And anyone running a hybrid OS on their BB is running a hacked OS. Your point?

All I can say is that if e-mail is important iPhone is a NO NO. The iPhone e-mail is a bit un-predictable, sometimes your e-mails come through fine. Other times, there is a 20 minute delay or more before you get them! It is annoying, and I don't even use e-mail much!
    Tell this to my fiance, who for the last 4+ months gets his emails all at once on his BB, usually around 3am, all in a clump, at least 3 times a week. Bell has already determined it is RIM server side. No explanation.

Hopefully nothing really important is in them, otherwise he's screwed. Some tool.
    05-26-10 08:03 PM
    And anyone running a hybrid OS on their BB is running a hacked OS. Your point?
    Switching a few OS files around can hardly be considered "hacking" (not to belittle the efforts of the hybrid creators)...
    05-26-10 08:09 PM
    I have had a blackberry for three+ years now. First was a Curve 8320, then a Bold 9700, and then I switched from TMO to VZW. Before I got my BB I had a Motorola RIZR. I always thirsted for what BB had to offer. But I tried IPhones and they didn't satisfy me. And now Android phones don't satisfy me. With all the apps and gadgets, they're unnecessary. To me, my Blackberry does everything I need it to do for work and play, the options are well laid out and easy to use (my gf had an android phone and I couldn't even find options I use everyday on bb) and if it weren't for the sure press screen I wouldn't have a storm cuz I loved the keyboards so much. It's all preference. And complaining on a blackberry forum and wishing for other phones or downing bb's make no sense. Especially coming from a Crackberry moderator.
    05-26-10 08:11 PM
    And complaining on a blackberry forum and wishing for other phones or downing bb's make no sense. Especially coming from a Crackberry moderator.
    Uh oh.

LOL.

Hey Graceless - didn't you get the meemo that you can't express discontent with something BB because you are a moderator?

If you didn't it was probably a BIS outage...*snort*
    05-26-10 08:49 PM
    Hey Graceless - didn't you get the meemo that you can't express discontent with something BB because you are a moderator?

If you didn't it was probably a BIS outage...*snort*
    I'll have to check my emails. Honestly, I downed nothing I just asked for ONE
    person to explain the security of the BB. No one has but they are sure as heck
    hurt by a different point of view.

Gotta love fanboys
    05-26-10 08:57 PM

Now I don't know the details to the certificates that RIM carries that the other manufacturers do not, but they do exist, do they matter to 99% of the IT world? NOPE, what does matter is BES, and complete control over the hardware, that is the "security" that business likes, remote wipe commands, and IT controlled syncing, everything done on my BB is logged and can be traced if I were to be hit by a bus and my BB crushed, and me dead, the company could pick back up and move forward without data loss, as far as I know Android nor iPhone offer this level yet.

If a user only uses a BlackBerry for messaging, music, videos, games..... how is
    it not as much of a "toy" than an iPhone? The point here is that the usefulness
    of any device depends on the person using it. Consider that if you choose to
    answer this question.
    You are correct, the BB and the iPhone are BOTH perfectly capable at being a Toy, and a Business phone, just it is easier for the iPhone to become a toy, as it does have FAR more toy usefulness, and the BB has more useful Business tools on board, Documents to Go on the BB is far superior to that on the Apple platform, can't say the Android platform as I have yet to use it.
    All that being said, the iPhone is an option for a business user, NOT ME, but many other customers of mine show great interest in the iPhone,

I really really Hope RIM has something up their sleeves with BES/BIS moving into 2011, and that OS6.1 is a business geared incremental upgrade to OS6.

I would go crazy if I had to use an iPhone for work, an Android I might consider. just nothing that has to use iTunes.
    05-26-10 09:10 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD