I'm not noticing more and more people posting about this problem and it doesn't seem to be isolated to the 9860. I've seen people complaining about this happening on both the the Bold 9900, and the Curve 8310.

I posted this in the 9860 forum, because I have a 9860, but it seems to possibly be a problem across various phones, so it might get a better response here.

I'm wondering how many people are having this problem and if they are what have they done to fix it? I've had my 9860 now for almost a year and my phone started having this problem during the summer. My phone started to become sluggish and was periodically freezing (no hour glass spinning). This seemed to happen for basically no reason, it wasn't after a software update or the installation of any new apps so I was perplexed. I tried a battery pull and for the first time I noticed the phone locking up at about a 75% load bar. The first few times that this happened I had to do another battery pull after the load bar froze, sometimes 2 or 3 before the load bar would finally fill and the phone would boot back up. This of course did little to fix my phone from freezing as it would almost immediately start happening again after the battery pull was successful.

This went on for a good month or so and then my phone started booting normally again. It would still freeze up at about 75% but then would manage to move again after about 5 mins. Recently I've upgraded to the newer OS versions (a few days ago I upgraded to OS 7.1.0.714, and then today I upgraded again to the latest OS 7.1.0.746) the situation, at least for now, seems to have remedied itself.

Just wondering how many others have had this problem and if they have, what have they done about it?
    11-08-12 03:52 PM
    i have a 9900. doesnt "freeze up" or "lock up" at 75%, but it does slow down, and stop showing further progress for like half a minute. i assumer perhaps thats what you meant by lock up?
    11-08-12 04:13 PM
    i have a 9900. doesnt "freeze up" or "lock up" at 75%, but it does slow down, and stop showing further progress for like half a minute. i assumer perhaps thats what you meant by lock up?
    No, I meant that it basically freezes and either a) takes up to 10-15 mins before it resumes, or b) it completely freezes at 75% and will not move without another battery pull.
    11-08-12 04:31 PM
    No, I meant that it basically freezes and either a) takes up to 10-15 mins before it resumes, or b) it completely freezes at 75% and will not move without another battery pull.
    I tend to reset my phone every 2-3 days for something. Usually because of an app download. But I find that reset can take A LONG time if I go too long without giving it a reset. Sometimes it seems to freeze and I don't know if it has actually frozen or is just taking a long time.

My suggestion would be to reset your phone every few days to see if that's a solution for you.
    11-08-12 04:39 PM
    i dont have it then
    11-08-12 04:43 PM
    my 9900 does the same as Bold until Hybrids does but after half a minute it carries on booting past the letter E in blackberry, did you do anything in particular in the summer before it started freezing during boots? e.g. an app install maybe using the device optimiser to clear out all your logs etc will keep your phone from getting bogged down seeing as a fresh OS upgrade seems to help it at first
    11-08-12 05:29 PM
    Happens to me allt he time. Started to really notice it about 4 months ago but it's been happening on and off for a long time. Can't wait to switch to something else! Torch 9860.
    11-08-12 06:27 PM
    my 9900 does the same as Bold until Hybrids does but after half a minute it carries on booting past the letter E in blackberry, did you do anything in particular in the summer before it started freezing during boots? e.g. an app install maybe using the device optimiser to clear out all your logs etc will keep your phone from getting bogged down seeing as a fresh OS upgrade seems to help it at first
    That is the weird thing though, I did nothing I am aware of that triggered this. I very rarely download apps and am very attentive to upkeep on my Blackberry. I've had a 9700, a 9780, and now the 9860 and I've not had this problem before. I regularly do battery pulls, clear the browser, clear the memory and logs. The freezing just started happening at random, and the super long boot times followed.

At first the phone would not boot at all, it would freeze at 75% until I again pulled the battery. I would wait for it to get to 75% and if it froze again I would do another battery pull. Eventually it would not freeze at that 75% part and would boot normally.

Since upgrading to the newer 7.1 OS upgrades it seems to have alleviated the problem (earlier upgrades did not help) but it still seems to hang at that 75% mark for quite some time, something it did not do originally when I got the phone.

I'm worried this issue will creep up again is all, and I've noticed a few others having the same problem across different phones on here.
    11-08-12 07:05 PM
    Is 't the first 60% of the boot = os boot then the remainder 30% = apps and settings?
    11-08-12 07:36 PM
    I know what you mean, but mine is a 9850. My phone is just sitting here waiting to load the next. 25%-ish since yesterday.
    11-08-12 07:52 PM
    I set my phone to auto reboot at 5am every morning, so even if it has this problem, i wouldn't notice it. But on the rare occasions that I do a battery pull and restart the phone, I have never encountered this problem.
    11-08-12 09:55 PM
    Oh man, These freezes are annoying!!! Monday evening I went into ATT because I could not make any calls on my 9900, I kept getting disconnected and it took about 20 freaking minutes to Reboot the phone after the rep took out the battery as her first process of figuring out what the problem was. I am not kidding! Even the rep was like "man that phone should never be allowed to turn off". I agree with her. It sucks having to take out the battery when in the progress bar just to speed up the reboot a Second time.

BB10 cannot get here soon enough!!!!!!
    11-08-12 10:14 PM
    The lower the memory the longer the boot so if there very little available memory it will take up to 15 mins to boot at that 3/4 mark.
    11-09-12 01:10 AM
    yes, i have it on my 9810
    11-09-12 01:36 AM
    After i instaled an hybrid on my Torch, yes, it always freezes at 80% reboot :s

Dunno why, but...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    11-09-12 01:36 AM
    This problem is if you tend to install and delete apps all the time, your phone will pay you back with the freeze. If you don't keep installing, you shouldn't have the problem. My reboot takes the normal 1-2 mins.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    11-09-12 04:21 AM
    This problem is if you tend to install and delete apps all the time, your phone will pay you back with the freeze. If you don't keep installing, you shouldn't have the problem. My reboot takes the normal 1-2 mins.

This seems like a false statement, like I said, I very rarely install new apps on my phone (which means I rarely delete what I have). When I noticed this problem for the first time I don't think I'd installed a single new app in months.
    11-09-12 01:15 PM
    Then that's an os problem. Have you at any point of time installed a hybrid os? Have you done a full wipe of the phone and reinstall the os?

11-09-12 01:54 PM