Yes I have a Z10. Yes if it were not for Snap or my ability to transfer apps to my phone via a Nexus, I would not be purchasing a BlackBerry. If the gap app is over, not many reviewers have mentioned the same. You can not expect consumers or enterprise customers to use Snap.

I like my phone and am willing to make do but I would not be recommending BlackBerry to others who expect the iOS and Google no fuss no muss experience.

Lastly, I would hardly be picking my school, sound system, library, city etc etc because Amazon has that app. Chances are slim when you add them all together.

I will say this, If it were not for the ability to run some Android apps BlackBerry would not have any chance to succeed. There are some customers who have very minimal app needs as well. The current Passport customers are largely those who are early adopters. I can't quite imagine going from a Curve to a Passport. Of course, if a person went from a Playbook to a IPad Air that might be the same thing.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-03-14 at 04:17 PM.
    10-03-14 03:23 PM
    Yet no PlayBook client, and they support everyone else's tablets! Insult to injury.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Let it go... Let it go...
    10-03-14 04:37 PM
    Yes I have a Z10. Yes if it were not for Snap or my ability to transfer apps to my phone via a Nexus, I would not be purchasing a BlackBerry. If the gap app is over, not many reviewers have mentioned the same. You can not expect consumers or enterprise customers to use Snap.

I like my phone and am willing to make do but I would not be recommending BlackBerry to others who expect the iOS and Google no fuss no muss experience.

Lastly, I would hardly be picking my school, sound system, library, city etc etc because Amazon has that app. Chances are slim when you add them all together.

I will say this, If it were not for the ability to run some Android apps BlackBerry would not have any chance to succeed. There are some customers who have very minimal app needs as well. The current Passport customers are largely those who are early adopters. I can't quite imagine going from a Curve to a Passport. Of course, if a person went from a Playbook to a IPad Air that might be the same thing.
    I think you make fair points.

Snap is not a reasonable option in the long run. I think BlackBerry understands that.

I don't think Amazon is either, but I'm willing to be wrong.
    10-03-14 04:44 PM

Well what I find confusing as hell is this. If you feel that strongly that you could not recommend BlackBerry to someone else, then why bother yourself. Get an iphone or Samsung and get some rest. Like a million apps is the must? Get a grip. Check out the passport and it's browser in mobile mode.....you don't even need the app. PS.....i don't use snap, and I can't think of an app that I can't have. on another note BB10 is great for so many things that the others don't have. This device just flows, it's fast.....what ever Mickey Mouse app that is missing I can easily do without!

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 05:37 PM
    Well what I find confusing as hell is this. If you feel that strongly that you could not recommend BlackBerry to someone else, then why bother yourself. Get an iphone or Samsung and get some rest. Like a million apps is the must? Get a grip. Check out the passport and it's browser in mobile mode.....you don't even need the app. PS.....i don't use snap, and I can't think of an app that I can't have. on another note BB10 is great for so many things that the others don't have. This device just flows, it's fast.....what ever Mickey Mouse app that is missing I can easily do without!

Posted via CB10
    It's quite possible to enjoy using a platform and not recommend it to people. Of all the platforms I use, the one I use the heaviest to get things done is the one I have NEVER recommended to anyone in 1v1 conversation.

Don't crack on the "Mickey Mouse" apps. They are what separates BBRY from the big boys as far as productivity goes. I have no doubt that plenty of folks can get by, but it's better for a platform to give folks the choice of having them.

Without being boastful, most people who look at my workflow think I'm crazy. I need a platform -- not just a device -- that can keep up as a daily driver.

For me, a million apps ain't necessary. Just two or three. And probably a dozen platform-specific accessories.
    10-03-14 06:26 PM
    It's quite possible to enjoy using a platform and not recommend it to people. Of all the platforms I use, the one I use the heaviest to get things done is the one I have NEVER recommended to anyone in 1v1 conversation.

Don't crack on the "Mickey Mouse" apps. They are what separates BBRY from the big boys as far as productivity goes. I have no doubt that plenty of folks can get by, but it's better for a platform to give folks the choice of having them.

Without being boastful, most people who look at my workflow think I'm crazy. I need a platform -- not just a device -- that can keep up as a daily driver.

For me, a million apps ain't necessary. Just two or three. And probably a dozen platform-specific accessories.
    Like usual this thread has gone off course.....what could you possibly be missing. The Passport with 10.3 offers the best usage of android apps,plus BBW apps. Then Blend allows the use of android or Apple tablets. This gives you full access to either Google services, all Android apps or if you have an ipad you have full access to the Apple Store and all its apps. At home, we have all platforms. Once my Passport arrives, I can see myself using Blend on the ipad or the Sony android tablet. I never use them currently. Never, but I see this changing. I see choosing the BlackBerry strategy helps to break down barriers. I don't have to be "all in" with one platform. I can have it all. I don't understand how you few refuse to see that. And again, currently I only use my z30 and am missing out on zero apps......

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 12:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'll promise to return my BlackBerry merit badge.
    10-04-14 12:34 AM
    As I wait for my Passport to arrive from Rogers, I continue to look at 10.3, Blend, which will impact consumers along with BES10 which will impact enterprise and BYOD. For the first time in a long time, I feel one company is laying the ground work for most of us to stand on common ground. I can have my BB10 device, an android or ipad tablet, a pc or Mac computer and not feel as I have to be all BB, all Android or all Apple. For example in our house we have all platforms. BB10 phones except for daughter who is iphone 5 soon to be 6. We have ipads, Sony android tablet and playbooks along with both pc and mac computers. I feel 10.3 along with Blend will have me picking up the ipad or Sony to use it as my phone slave. On the other hand I can see using it to game etc using Apple or Android platforms. In simple terms, I think BlackBerry users are soon to have it all! We will be missing nothing!

Posted via CB10
    Playbook I actually agree with you. Owning a Blackberry as a standalone device is really very feasible when you have a fleet of alternatives. The lack of BlackBerry apps is not a big deal for me because I too have ecosystem alternatives. I can run the apps I need on my Apple or Android devices.
    10-04-14 12:54 AM
    True, but that doesn't mean the iPad 2 is current ... Just that Apple's product support is better.
    Well, if it runs the latest software and is still available for purchase...I'm really not sure what your definition of current is.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 07:39 AM
    Playbook I actually agree with you. Owning a Blackberry as a standalone device is really very feasible when you have a fleet of alternatives. The lack of BlackBerry apps is not a big deal for me because I too have ecosystem alternatives. I can run the apps I need on my Apple or Android devices.
    And that is why I feel BlackBerry has begun to dismantle the phone wars!

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 09:31 AM
    And that is why I feel BlackBerry has begun to dismantle the phone wars!

Posted via CB10
    If they would have understood anything in terms of hardware (software wise they aren't that bad currently. Might be quite a few things that will come in the near future) then they would have launched a real all touch flagship by now and a replacement for the Z10.

None of that has happened though and BlackBerry focuses on the keyboard niche, within the enterprise niche.
    As long as BlackBerry doesn't start to gain mind and marketshare in growing market sectors (keyboard and enterprise only phones are shrinking niches), then I refuse to accept your notion of dismantling the phone war.

They still have the worst possible mid to longterm strategy as a handset maker, in the whole industry.
    (software is another point alltogether, as I said in the beginning. Purely talking about hardware, their strategy just plainly sucks)

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 12:15 PM
    If they would have understood anything in terms of hardware (software wise they aren't that bad currently. Might be quite a few things that will come in the near future) then they would have launched a real all touch flagship by now and a replacement for the Z10.

None of that has happened though and BlackBerry focuses on the keyboard niche, within the enterprise niche.
    As long as BlackBerry doesn't start to gain mind and marketshare in growing market sectors (keyboard and enterprise only phones are shrinking niches), then I refuse to accept your notion of dismantling the phone war.

They still have the worst possible mid to longterm strategy as a handset maker, in the whole industry.
    (software is another point alltogether, as I said in the beginning. Purely talking about hardware, their strategy just plainly sucks)

Posted via CB10
    Don't know that I can disagree.

Even with the PP launch surprise, it would seem JC is staying the stated course, which precludes hardware in the long-term.

Plans change though; we'll see. I believe JC is a pragmatist, and if I were to guess, I suspect he'll make software the company's focus.
    10-04-14 12:23 PM
    ^

Well, software is the safe bet.
    Huge margins, easily able to scale up and down (not like smartphone production runs), the security image BlackBerry has etc etc etc.

It's probably a question of Halo effects to be honest though.
    The moment BlackBerry sees that the opportunity costs of having the hardware division somewhere close to break even, outweigh the halo effects of the hardware division (BES helps to sell BlackBerry devices and vice versa), then hardware will be scrapped.

If however, they think that the halo effects are very important, the hardware division will continue to exist.
    That's how I see their current strategy (overly simplified ofc). And this is not one where you have lots of plans to change the status quo and actually really try to make your position in the market place any better.
    It's a strategy where BlackBerry takes the current status quo as a reason to act (proactive vs reactive).

On the other hand, BlackBerry is kinda schizophrenic currently.
    They definitely entered the spec war with the PassPort. There is no doubt about that.
    They also *try* to give consumers at least "something" with the Amazon app store...
    The whole message is pretty mixed and IMHO reflects the reactive position BlackBerry has taken.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 12:51 PM
    Yet no PlayBook client, and they support everyone else's tablets! Insult to injury.

More like leaving the dead guy in his grave, so I guess you could technically that's an insult to the permanent injury

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 10:53 PM
    I think that perhaps OP is overestimating the power of BlackBerry Blend. It is more to do blending one's other devices to share communications and files securely . It is an interesting idea and could be very useful for enterprise users .
    10-05-14 01:42 AM

They only support android tablets running on 4.4 which are the very new ones

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.634
    10-05-14 01:50 AM
66 123