I think the Z10 is a great starting off point. I didn't really buy the phone because I thought it would be the last phone i'd ever get or that it was light years ahead of anything else out there. I bought the phone because of all the phone I had, BlackBerry always made a product that suited my needs. This is no exception. I experienced a few bugs (freezing, apps stuck in a state of suspense, etc...) but I knew from the beginning this was a 1.0 phone. I get how people have grips and wished the new software carried over more legacy traits but in my experience so far, the phone isn't missing something now that I desperately need. Yes, I would love to see all the big name apps now but I don't think it is a massive deal breaker in the present. My most recent phone was the iPhone 5 and the lack of BBM didn't cause me any grief. Now that I am back with the Z10, BBM is one of the apps I use daily. I think it is always about perspective. The Z10 isn't perfect and was never intended to be. The hype that was generated was about a company marking a new chapter in their history and this phone is different enough than all the other BlackBerry models that it does live up to that hype. I think anyone that gives this phone a fair try will see that even with a new platform, this phone still encapsualtes the core values of BlackBerry, which for me was always to have the technology stay out of the way and let me do what I need to do.
    02-16-13 05:06 PM
    I'm sure they will get to sound profiles and more bells and whistles. I'm a EXTREMELY impressed with my Z10. Two years ago this did not exist. They wanted to bring out a stable brand new OS and they certainly did that. Anybody that wants to pick this apart should reflect on what they have done. We have a brand new multi-tasking mobile platform that is super fast and stable with a killer web browser. I for one can not wait to see what they can do with it over the next few years.
    Oh, lived up to the hype? Oh ya!
    I agree, but there already were phones with all of that. I know the iPhone multitasking does not touch BB10, but it does what I need. The androids and iPhone are fast with great browsers. I wanted that and the tried and true BB features in the Z10 package.

I love the Z10 looks, size and screen btw. Wish the camera was better however.
    02-16-13 08:19 PM
    Android is a piece of crap compared to the z10.
    This phone has zero lag anywhere, I love it.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-16-13 09:28 PM
    Android is a piece of crap compared to the z10.
    This phone has zero lag anywhere, I love it.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Lol in what ways? I challenge you to name one must-have feature that BB10 has that Android based devices cannot do. I honestly can't think of a single one. But if you can, I'd love to hear it.

Just to be fair, I'll name a few things that Android based phones will do that the z10 can't.

Wireless charging
    Split screen multitasking
    Different LED colors for individual alerts
    USB otg host mode
    Unique alert tones for each notification
    Themes

I like BB10, but thinking it is better than Jelly Bean at this point is simply silly. BlackBerry got a lot of work to do.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-16-13 09:59 PM
    Lol in what ways? I challenge you to name one must-have feature that BB10 has that Android based devices cannot do. I honestly can't think of a single one. But if you can, I'd love to hear it.

Just to be fair, I'll name a few things that Android based phones will do that the z10 can't.

Wireless charging
    Split screen multitasking
    Different LED colors for individual alerts
    USB otg host mode
    Unique alert tones for each notification
    Themes

I like BB10, but thinking it is better than Jelly Bean at this point is simply silly. BlackBerry got a lot of work to do.
    Well first I would like to take your list of complaints for BB10
    1.Not a deal breaker. BB can always release a battery later or a third party can. To most people, a charging dock is the same thing.
    2.The screen is small so split screen on a phone would make it to where you couldn't get anything done. With BB10, you can swipe between apps.
    3.They can push that with an OS update.
    4. I have never even heard of that, so I looked it up. To me, I have never needed to plug a thumbdrive into my phone.
    5. It is already there
    6. Could be a deal breaker for some, but Apple has never had any backlash for not having it.

So all in all, if that is the complaints, it's doing pretty good.
    02-16-13 10:15 PM
    @Saiga, the subjectivity of "must-have" will make it impossible to agree on any list cuz I don't think half of those are must-haves, but in addition to what vzinside said;
    #3. An app can be made to do this easily

and as for BB10 uniques that *I'm not aware* Android has (I haven't played with any new Droids in a while admittedly);
    1. Time-Shift Camera
    2. BB Hub/Peek/Flow
    3. Active Frames, our alternative to split-screen multitasking
    02-16-13 11:53 PM
    To me personally, it has lived up to the hype.
    Sure, there are many gripes, OS issues, low app support and battery problems, but this is the first Blackberry 10 Smart Phone, it has many flaws, but maybe some will be fixed with the Q10 and upcoming Blackberry 10 Smart phones. The Z10 is the building ground for Blackberry 10 Smart phones, as Blackberry makes more, the quality increases, and by then all OS issues will be solved, and have more app support. It just needs time to mature it self, but when it does, Blackberry 10 will be extremely profitable and successful, bringing back Blackberry into the smartphone market, with great things to see.
    02-16-13 11:58 PM
    It has lived up to the hype for sure this thing is awesome
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-17-13 02:22 AM
    Been the best all round device I've used. Does what it does best...and everything else has exceeded my expectations... awesome device, couldn't be happier
    02-17-13 02:44 AM
    I want multiple alarms soon though please.
    02-17-13 03:13 AM
    I'm really enjoying the phone. I find the phone to be quite refreshing. My first "smart" phone was the original iPhone which I got primarily because of its screen and browser. Even though it was missing features (or at least that's how I vaguely remember it) that were present on my HP iPAQ PDA, I still thought it was really cool. I despised iTunes but put up with it because I liked the phone.

I used the phone for 6 months (in the USA) and then switched to a BlackBerry Pearl in Canada (I couldnt use the iPhone in Canada at that time, unless I jailbroke it and I didnt want to do that at that time). I really liked the Pearl and the fast data I had at the time (3G was way faster than EDGE). Also loved the keyboard . And the red LED. And the loud alarm. When it was time to renew my contract, I was set on getting a 9800 torch but they werent available when I went looking for them. As luck would have it, I was in a Telus store when a shipment of highly coveted iPhone 4s (4 not 4s) arrived. The salesperson was phoning people on the waiting list but ended up selling one to me. I absolutely loved the iPhone 4, but I missed my Pearl for months. I missed the red LED, the keyboard and things like password keeper, and notifications (although I wasnt a power user). I ended up forgiving the iPhone for the things it didnt do and loved it for the things it did well.

So why did I switch to a Z10? Just wanted a change -- and maybe I bought some of the hype . Still hate iTunes. Dont like the walled garden or proprietary connectors. Not a fan of iCloud (I've spent untold hours trying to help friends sort out their iCloud sync issues). I've tried Android (on my HP Touchpad) and like some aspects of it but not enough to switch to it now. I've had a taste of QNX on my PlayBook which I've had for almost 2 years. It's one of my favourite gadgets, even thought I dont use Bridge. So switching to a Z10 was relatively painless for me. I use Exchange ActiveSync at work so my emails, calendar, contacts etc work flawlessly (unless our server is down -- which it was last week). I also have gmail and outlook.com accounts that I use for personal mail. Both work well. I havent had any issues with the phone though I would like to be able to paste a number in the dialer. The keyboard is uncanny. Absolutely stunned by its word prediction. The browser is fast (I've turned flash on). Battery life has improved significantly. Today, I used my phone for browsing (a couple of hrs), CB app, music (30 min), texting (1h), phone calls (5 min), trying settings on the phone including setting up BB Link (1h?), playing with the photo app (30 min), GPS (15 min), updating apps (5 min). 16h later, I'm at 55% battery. I have LTE, nfc, wifi on (I will not turn them off!) and display is about 35% or so. I did plug it into my car charger for 15 min while checking out the GPS to see if it would recalculate the route (it does), and I had it plugged in to my laptop while I was setting up BB Link (15-30 min).

I have yet to try all of the features of the Z10. I'll get to them eventually. For my uses, the Z10 works and works well. There are things I'd like to see tweaked (some of the camera settings, and the ability to send smaller sized pictures in emails; more notification options; and something to help those migrating from older BBOS devices) and will look forward to the 10.1 update. I havent completely retired my iPhone 4. It still feels very comfortable in my hand and there's one app I need (Golfshot GPS) that's not available (yet?).
    02-17-13 05:01 AM
    Sadly no it hasn't

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    troll
    02-17-13 05:08 AM
    Talking about the size of z10, my wife is choosing between z10 and iphone 5 and leaning towards I5 because she thinks z10 is a little too big for her hands. She is using I4 currently.
    I have small hands and the iPhone 4 definitely fits me better. Still exploring the best way to hold the Z10 without dropping it.
    02-17-13 05:10 AM
    In terms of hardware and OS, yes it has. There's a couple of things I miss from the old OS but none are deal breakers. The only disappointment is the "90% of the top 600 apps" that seem to be missing....but we'll wait and see what happens around the US launch.
    02-17-13 10:14 AM
    Yes. The more I use it the more I love it.

Honestly, I've been talking to a lot of people who sell the phones in retail stores... and here's the verdict I'm getting.

Either people LOVE it.... or they're picking it up and they're finding it a little too difficult to use (and thus not giving it a full chance).

Which is understandable. And I think ok. As I wrote about a long time ago... I don't think BB10 is for everyone. At least not initially. It's for that 1 in 4 or 5 people, and those who buy it and get what the BB Experience is all about are going to FREAK'N love it. I think that's what we're seeing here.

But I think it has already exceeded a lot of expectations. It's definitely not perfect - there are some little annoying things, etc. (all which I think are pretty easily fixed in software updates), but overall, it's awesome.

Totally loving it!
    02-17-13 10:18 AM
    I wish I could say that I knew but being in the US I can't get one right now. I can say that the more I wait the more I am inclined to go and buy one. I would have picked one up on launch day or soon after, but now that the dust has settled I'm not sure I'll rush out and get one whenever it is finally released here in the U.S.
    02-17-13 10:27 AM
    The only disappointment is the "90% of the top 600 apps" that seem to be missing....but we'll wait and see what happens around the US launch.
    You have to remember the source of that quote, from some guy just trying to get attention (which he did), and people ran with it. As for living up to the "hype", i'd say outside of CB, to those people who really didn't know much about it and therefor didn't really have any expectations, i'd say it has. For those CB diehards who've been waiting for this since it was first announced, i'd say probably not, seeing's how expectations were probably too high.

I think once BB10 gets some more apps, it will bring in more users, as right now, the app selection is still pretty paltry in comparison to the other 2 established OS's.
    02-17-13 10:27 AM
    OP, the TRUTH IS, only you can decide this. If you're talking about media and public overall....well I think it fair to say the reception has been lukewarm...but as to whether it lives up to hype, it depends on what you think their expectations were.

If you're talking about BB's promises. Well....no...i don't think it's a game-changer, it doesn't have the app situation they portrayed, and their were no huge "surprises"...but...this is what corporations do! It's to be expected.

As to you....well depends on what your experience of they "hype" was, and your impression of the phone! So...you decide! :-)
    02-17-13 10:32 AM
    It is good phone and generally speaking it has good reviews. I think the phone lived up to its hype. As long as promised apps come bb10 and z10s will do fine.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    02-17-13 10:45 AM
    I wish I could say that I knew but being in the US I can't get one right now. I can say that the more I wait the more I am inclined to go and buy one. I would have picked one up on launch day or soon after, but now that the dust has settled I'm not sure I'll rush out and get one whenever it is finally released here in the U.S.
    I feel for you. I'm in Canada and still waiting for the phone trials to finish at work before getting my company z10 so I'm still waiting and it'll probably be around the same time as the US in which I'll officially have my phone. I picked up a white z10 for my wife (which she absolutely loves - she was really scared at first to leave her BB keyboard on her Torch) so every night I get to play with her (her z10 not my wife - been married too long) and I am so envious. I don't know what's worse having the ability to use somebody else's once and a while or just waiting outright for it All I can say is all the videos we've seen on CB and around doesn't do the phone justice as actually playing with it.
    02-17-13 10:59 AM
    Never believe the hype

Sent from Magic Profile App.
    02-17-13 11:11 AM
    The Zed10 is a good phone. It is a great v1.0 device. But I think some people may have expected more.
    Compromises always have to be made. UI inconsistencies can be fixed at a later date.

The big problem for some could be if there is a show stopper - like not being able to change the font within an e-mail which makes the device very difficult to use.

Fixable? Sure. Kevin - you've sent over a list of over 100 issues (some minor, some bothersome, so significant). Others have done the same.

Until some of the bigger issues that impact me using the Zed10 it will remain an unfulfilled promise and sit on my desk....

I want to use it, but find that other devices I own work better for me.
    02-17-13 11:18 AM
    I am in the U.S, but very anxious to demo a unit once it is available. Unfortunately, the 'hype' is not what interest me. It's the fact it's a new BlackBerry phone. It's not curing cancer or stopping war. It's a phone. If I can make calls, read/answer emails and go on-line, I will be happy. Everything else for me, is icing on the cake. I try not to let technology rule my life, but instead, enhance it or make it more amusing. It's just phone...nice that it's a BlackBerry and hope this is just the beginning of continued advances.
    02-17-13 11:37 AM
    If the reason why people don't like BB10 is because they cant change the font, they are looking for a reason to not like BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    BKbehave and lynxs_claw like this.
    02-17-13 11:44 AM
    I have not used the device, so I can't speak about first hand experience.

That said, in the weeks and days prior to launch, the device was so hyped up by the militant BB fanboy crowd that it appeared that the device would be the greatest thing in tech EVER. Statements were made that were so ridiculous that they literally embarrased me.

So now, with the device in hands of actual users, we've come to learn that some very basic features from legacy BB OSs are not present in this new OS. And even the "no more battery pulls" line is not real. Worse still, the apologist reasons and excuses given for decisions such as no more data compression are truly an insult to logical thinking. There is no reason whatsoever for, say, making a decision for a larger screen as opposed to data compression. A company should not alienate its core by attempting to reach out to those who have left. I am reading now that there are issues with contact sync with Outlook. That there appear to be issues deleting text messages. Without using this phone myself, I can't imagine what is real and what isn't. And the "committed" apps are not there yet. Come to find that one is expected to port Android apps....and this is supposed to be OK.

I haven't got a Z10 yet. And I won't get it off contract. I'll wait to my upgrade in June. Will be my first time ever not getting a BB device at launch. From what I'm reading, my impression is that it has not lived up to the impossibly hyped up pronouncements from the militant BB fanboys who touted this device as the greatest piece of tech ever.
    02-17-13 11:57 AM
84 1234