04-01-12 09:45 PM
105 1234 ...
tools
    completely agree and yet disagree..

a) The amount of freezing, random resets, laggy operation and battery pulls is in DIRECT proportion to the amount of junk you dump onto the phone.
    b) HTC with sense, clogs up the phone. I have a Note with Samsungs TW..one of the least invasive wrappers..and its operation is flawless
    c) I am on my third BB..9330, 9650 and now 9930.. never froze once. total battery pulls in 5 years?.. three.

The current Blackberrys are the best communications tool by far, but if you want the best gaming, media and infotainment experience the answer is Android, with full DNLA client/server/remote and screens to 5.3".. not the tiny screen and castrated integration of the Iphone

Given the user customisation/themes of the blackberry i can understand folks switching to Android.. its a great second string or alternative to BB.. but iphone? sorry, i just dont get it.

its funny most people think switching to iphone is going to be a life changing experience.... ITS NOT. my wife just got here first iphone (4s) and she hates it. the only thing she likes is the camera we have a 9month old and she takes as many pictures as she can. the reality is most BB user that really think android/ios is life changing are those that has like a bb0s5 phone or older. believe me bb0s7 phones are just as good as an iphone. if you are an apps person that just has to play angry birds all day than get an iphone
    Last edited by mystic205; 03-26-12 at 10:23 AM.
    03-26-12 10:17 AM
    That must be an HTC thing. I have a friend with an evo and they also do battery pulls once in a while. I have a motorola and I have never had to do a battery pull. I've had force closes and i've done the occasional on/off reset but usually clearing my cache will fix most hangups. Just my 2 cents. YMMV
    I'm ready to drop this phone in the Hudson River.
    03-26-12 10:21 AM
    I have the 9900 and I was gtting pretty pissed for the same reasons and most of the people here - the crappy camera, terrible battery life, and it did freeze on me quite a few times.

I was/am still considering the jump to the iphone....

However, yesterday I upgraded to OS 7.1 on my 9900 and I am quite impressed, the battery lasted me from 11am-10pm. No complaints here at all. The camera still sucks in my opinion and I need the newest eBay, PayPal, and Chase apps along with other useful apps that people don't even make for blackberry anymore... this is the only reson the switch is still on my mind.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-26-12 10:36 AM
    I would suggest Windows Phone, too, before the iPhone. The Lumia series is beautiful and WP7 has a very unique and attractive UI!

With that said, I would say that your only true gain with an iPhone compared to a BlackBerry 7 device is the App Store. The thousands of apps and games that you can download on an iPhone is incredible. In comparison to BB7, that would be your only gain, I believe. The BB7 devices are just as good as any iPhone or Android device. They match-up in speed, fluidity, etc. (for some reason, people find BB7 difficult to use).

Good luck with your search for the right device! If you do decide to leave, hopefully BB10 will be more up your alley!
    03-26-12 11:28 AM
    I'm ready to drop this phone in the Hudson River.
    That would just pollute the Hudson river. LOL.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-26-12 11:34 AM
    I love my iPhone. To the poster who said it felt cheap? My iPhone is the most solid piece of tech I ever owned. Not a creak, no movement. Solid. Never had a phone more solidly built. I'm using my 9900 right now because of a situation at work where BBM is more convenient but as soon as its done my iPhone is coming back out.

No freezing (even jailbroken), no lag, fast notifications on everything (even faster than the vaunted BlackBerry)...

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    GingerSnapsBack and Chrisy like this.
    03-26-12 11:39 AM
    I jumped from the BB to Android then to the iPhone 4S. I can use them all, and like things about each more than the others. It really depends on how you use your phone and your preferences.
    Chrisy and Plazmic Flame like this.
    03-26-12 11:54 AM
    I love my iPhone. To the poster who said it felt cheap? My iPhone is the most solid piece of tech I ever owned. Not a creak, no movement. Solid. Never had a phone more solidly built. I'm using my 9900 right now because of a situation at work where BBM is more convenient but as soon as its done my iPhone is coming back out.

No freezing (even jailbroken), no lag, fast notifications on everything (even faster than the vaunted BlackBerry)...

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    It makes sense that it feels more solid and doesn't creak, because it is an encased phone. No battery door to open, etc. Some find that a positive and some don't. It all comes down to what works best for you.
    reeneebob and Plazmic Flame like this.
    03-26-12 01:42 PM
    My upgrade is coming up and I'm thinking of switching purely because my Blackberry always freezes. My last one did, my current one did, everyone else tells me theirs do... it's a bit of an issue.
    Really? For some reason I can't recall ever telling you that.

I'd use this before an iProduct

03-26-12 02:28 PM
    I jumped ship but I switch between my old bb and iphone every so often. There are pros and cons to both, neither one provides everything I need but hopefully future models will.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    03-26-12 03:00 PM
    OS7 is great. I've noticed that the only time my phone freezes is when I'm installing or updating apps. Other than that it doesn't happen. I have a Bold 9930.
    03-26-12 03:17 PM
    I have always been a BB user, never wanted to switch, never was tempted...then RIM started to slide, IMHO. Promises and push backs on updates and rollouts, so I opened my mind to try something else when our company started looking around. I've made the switch now to the iPhone 4s and I have to say, as much as I hated the idea of EVERYTHING having to route thru iTunes, I am learning to like the iPhone. It works as advertised - MANY things I'd change if I could, but I just let them roll...I miss profiles, and I miss the option to silence the notifications when I'm on the phone, and I miss the ability to drag and drop things.

It's not perfect by any means, and I still have my Xoom tablet, not giving it up yet. I gave up on the Playbook long ago - I think RIM missed out by dragging their feet...they lost our company for sure.
    dezdon and Plazmic Flame like this.
    03-26-12 03:42 PM
    That would just pollute the Hudson river. LOL.
    LOL!! You mean more than it already is???
    03-26-12 04:30 PM
    looks like you have an 8900. I had that phone and it sucks compared to my new Bold.

going from an 8900 to a 9930 is a HUUUUUUUGE upgrade.

trust me, I know. Its night and day.

I had an iPhone and couldnt stand it. I love my 9930
    03-26-12 04:39 PM
    To the OP, I'm also coming up on an upgrade real soon and after owning BlackBerry phones for almost 5 yrs, I too find myself with a decision to make. I would like to stay with BlackBerry especially since I have a PlayBook, but the newer phones look very enticing, I continue to ask myself....do I really need all that in a phone. I also asked myself that same question before I bought my first "smartphone". Ultimately the decision rests with the person buying the phone......RESEARCH
    03-26-12 04:56 PM
    the only reason I would switch is if I HAD to have the cloud. It is a very nice feature, but not enough to get me to switch.
    03-26-12 04:57 PM
    I continue to ask myself....do I really need all that in a phone.
    Probably not... But sometimes we just want it anyway...
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-26-12 05:06 PM
    I only use my phone for personal use. I Jumped ship from my Bold 9650 this weekend (after 3years with BB) and my iPhone4s is in route with Fedex. I waited from the release of the original iPhone4 to see how Blackberry/Rim was going with things and well.... not real happy with the lack of love for BB from major players on apps and such. (Yamaha Music, Time Warner Cable etc..) I like my Blackberry. I also like technology and have been most patient with BB. I think its a great "business-secure phone".
    I could really give a hoot about Siri, but I was almost a year past renewal and Verizon sent a coupon for $35 off a device, then another $19.99 line credit. Other then the battery life of the 4s, I was hearing and seeing good things about it. I LOVE the camera..gotta admit its pretty friggin sweet.
    Ive pretty much mastered my Bold and am bored with it. Same ol apps and BB kept getting left out for integrations I could really use.
    The good thing is Im keeping my Bold and if i decide I dont like the iPhone for day to day use in my initial 30 days, I can exchange up to a iPad for access to those killer apps and reactivate my BB for my phone I guess. uggggg the damn slow mobile web browsing on the BB was another reason I was leaving.
    Still love ya Rim, I'll check back again at next renewal to see if you snapped out of this funk.
    03-26-12 05:20 PM
    Has anyone jumped ship to iPhone? How've you found the transition?

My upgrade is coming up and I'm thinking of switching purely because my Blackberry always freezes. My last one did, my current one did, everyone else tells me theirs do... it's a bit of an issue.

Even the BB7 phones reportedly freeze a lot... who's to say 10 won't be the same? (Also where are 8 and 9?)

I've never heard an iPhone user reporting freezing. Then again, I do tend to switch off when those guys start talking.

Are they really worth all that extra money? A iPhone is considerably more expensive than a decent BB.

I'd miss BBM for sure.
    I had a BlackBerry Curve for a year and a half and then got an iPhone 4S on its launch day and I have no regrets. The dual core processor does wonders and there's definitely no freezing. I'm a touch keyboard kind of guy, but if you really like those physical keyboards then that might be an issue for you. The only other problem in my opinion is the absence of an LED light for notifications.
    dezdon and Plazmic Flame like this.
    03-26-12 05:28 PM
    its funny most people think switching to iphone is going to be a life changing experience.... ITS NOT. my wife just got here first iphone (4s) and she hates it. the only thing she likes is the camera we have a 9month old and she takes as many pictures as she can. the reality is most BB user that really think android/ios is life changing are those that has like a bb0s5 phone or older. believe me bb0s7 phones are just as good as an iphone. if you are an apps person that just has to play angry birds all day than get an iphone
    Such a snarky comment but definitely the truth... but really, don't these former customers matter too? I myself had several BBs (8330, 9000, 9300, 9900 etc) and just got fed up of the freezing, random reboots, etc. I did not feel like putting more money into RIM's pocket just to experience the same thing again.

Personally, I made the switch to an iPhone 4S. It's been great, no issues with the transition. As most would say, your first hurdle is getting over the lack of BBM. BBM, in my opinion is great, but not enough for me to deal with the other issues. The second hurdle is usually the lack of a physical keyboard. Other than that, software wise, you won't have any issues and you'll be able to find anything to fit your needs and your wants.

I'm keeping an eye out for BB10 no doubt, really like Blackberry devices and the physical keyboard. Without getting too technical, they just gotta release a very solid OS for me to come back.
    03-26-12 07:54 PM
    The Iphone doesn't freeze? Thats completely not not true! Everytime a new I phone came out I would buy one and try it. I bought the first Iphone and it froze on me, the 3G froze on me, the 4 has frozen on me and I don't care to use the 4s. I switched to BB by default...
    Why?

Cause I need a keyboard, I bought the 3gs it froze on my at least once a week, I sold it and bought a Touch Pro 2, i loved that phone but it kept freezing on me, I dropped in and the screen cracked and I needed a phone, hopped on craigslist and bought a 9700 for 100 bucks at the end of 2010. I have been a BB user ever since and now that I have a 9900...I doubt I'll switch to any other platform.

For the record my 9900 hasn't frozen on me since i've had it, and you have a 8900, so i'm sure it does freeze on you, it was released in 2009...phones don't work at optimal capacity after a couple years.
    03-26-12 08:22 PM
    Has anyone jumped ship to iPhone? How've you found the transition?

Even the BB7 phones reportedly freeze a lot... who's to say 10 won't be the same? (Also where are 8 and 9?)

I've never heard an iPhone user reporting freezing. Then again, I do tend to switch off when those guys start talking.

Are they really worth all that extra money? A iPhone is considerably more expensive than a decent BB.

I'd miss BBM for sure.
    I jumped ship to the iPhone not long ago. It is an awesome device, I will tell you though that the iPhone itself does not crash/freeze (for me), however, apps do crash, not on a daily basis or anything like that but for no reason sometimes when you launch any given app the app will force close.

I had the Blackberry 9930 and it is a wonderful device, for the short 6 months I had it, I can tell you not once did it freeze. The boot time is something that is seriously pathetic. You can seriously watch your wrinkles form in the time it takes for it to freeze.

Now, I am giving WP7 a try and I gotta tell you, the Nokia 710 for being a "low" end model is one amazing device. It is faster than the iPhone 4 by leaps and bounds. If you are huge into social media, I have to say I don't think any of the OS' out there compares to it. Yeah, no Front Facing camera, but I can count on one finger the amount of times I used it on my iPhone 4 and that was just to check it out.

I switch phones maybe twice a year, just get bored easily and like trying a new OS. As for BBM, of course you won't find that on any other device, but there are alternatives, Ping Me is one that comes to mind.

Pricing, if you are concerned about pricing, the BB 9930 @ launch was 249 on a two year plan, the iPhone 199 for the 16g model. The Nokia 710 currently free on Tmo and AT&T is getting ready to launch the Nokia 900 or something like that which I believe will go on sale in a week or two at I believe 99 bucks.

Good luck with your choice, no choice you make will be wrong as it's your choice and go with what you want, not what the fan boys of any given OS say is best.
    03-26-12 09:46 PM
    I switched to an iphone 4s. Before that I've been a Blackberry user since the 9700 came out. I even had a 9900 for about half a year. Why the switch??

1. Applications - I work in the healthcare industry, I use medical applications that don't exist on the Blackberry.

2. Native Applications - Iphone has some really good native apps for which I had to pay for when I had my 9700 and 9900. Examples: The weather app and the ability to take a picture of your screen display. I paid for both of these apps when I was with Blackberry. No more.

3. Battery Life - Iphone 4S gives me more battery life than my 9900 ever did.

4. Operating System - I don't need to keep up to date on all the tutorials like how to wipe my device. I don't need to look for the dreaded vendor file or use the CMDER or whatever it's called to wipe and then install a fresh os. I don't need to do any of that. I get one update at the same time the rest of the world does and I'm happy.

5. Operating System x2 - No more lurking the crackberry website waiting for that next OS 7.1 leak or the official release. No more spending my time trying to figure out which forumer is right and which one is wrong when describing the leak. No more of any of that.

6. Operating System x3 - iOS is smooth. Super smooth, no hourglass lag. Miles ahead of my 9900. The browser is also super smooth. No more weird happening like not being able to delete my emails or the constant flashing red light. This kind of thing happened all the time on my 9700 and 9900.

7. No battery pulls - My iphone doesn't freeze. Bold 9900 froze many times on me in the app world.

8. Carrier doesn't have access to my phone - Unlike my old 9900, my iphone 4S is carrier bloatware free

9. Multiplayer Games - Yes I play them, do you? There are tons of multiplayer games for the iphone. Backberry games on the other hand, are a joke. I've bought some of them too. Glad I won't be seeing the notorious 10 frames per second angry pigs anymore.

10. No more feeling left behind - The executives did a great job by coming out and saying that the 9900 won't be upgradable to QNX. Kind of like how Nokia kicked themselves in the a*s*s by stating that they will not support Symbian in the future and then expected people to buy their new Symbian running phones.

The crackberry forum has loyals, hopefuls and dreamers. I'm not one of them. I am not going to sacrifice productivity for any of that.
    GingerSnapsBack and moiselles like this.
    03-26-12 09:52 PM
    While I haven't, I have recommended them to my friends. I just find it to be a better platform than Android even if its not the latest greatest thing out there. My sister is the most recent, my ex got one and a bunch of my friends have them so I have been around several and been able to try them out. None have had the crashing issue, but I have seen the screens break so that is one thing to watch. I chose to stick with BB because my Torch was cheaper(I bought it off CL), it had a bigger and brighter screen and had BBM which I actually use. Plus I liked the UI.

Should I leave BB though, iPhone is definitely the direction I would go.
    03-26-12 09:59 PM
    Man I just swapped my play book for iPad. I don't care what anyone says That's the best decision I've made.... Bb10 will be good no doubt... But I'm tired of stupid hour glasses and battery pulls.... And I don't think that bb10 will have apps straight away it will take time for devs to jump back on the platform...
    03-26-12 10:27 PM
105 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD