Has anyone jumped ship to iPhone? How've you found the transition?

My upgrade is coming up and I'm thinking of switching purely because my Blackberry always freezes. My last one did, my current one did, everyone else tells me theirs do... it's a bit of an issue.

Even the BB7 phones reportedly freeze a lot... who's to say 10 won't be the same? (Also where are 8 and 9?)

I've never heard an iPhone user reporting freezing. Then again, I do tend to switch off when those guys start talking.

Are they really worth all that extra money? A iPhone is considerably more expensive than a decent BB.

I'd miss BBM for sure.
    03-25-12 09:56 PM
    Doing an O/S upgrade on the phone I have found helps with freezing. I have never experienced this on my Torch 9800 but my wife's older model had it for sure.

As far as transitioning to iPhone, I would go to a Windows phone before that but each to his own I guess.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    03-25-12 10:11 PM
    Bbm is probably the only thing I will miss if I move aswell...

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Device
    03-25-12 10:22 PM
    My contract with Sprint ended. Have the CRAPPY/3-4 BATTERY PULLS PER DAY/WEBSITE CRASHING HTC EVO. I'm now month-to-month. Going to play the waiting game for a bit.

Would not want to go back to a smaller screen after 2 years with the EVO but, unless my phone was an aberration, I'm now gun-shy of Android's OS.

Never owned an iPhone and I'm tempted to give one a 30 day spin, but if they do launch a larger screen iPhone this Fall, I'll be pissed being stuck with the smaller one.

Never owned a BB outside of work but I'm very curious to see the BB10 phone.

Old Palm user. Wish they would come back and bring WebOs with them.

If BB10 is hot, I'm in. I'll give me money to whomever earns my business.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    03-25-12 10:25 PM
    I will NOT buy another iphone. My expensive iphone is only two years old and it freezes up when I try to run apps. I think the phone has become obsolete due to operating system upgrades. I'm waiting for the new BB.
    madman0141 likes this.
    03-25-12 10:31 PM
    I handled a new iPhone the other day and it felt really cheap. My gen 4 touch feels more substantial. I still like my Torch and will replace it with the Blade.
    Stewartj1 and Jeovex like this.
    03-25-12 10:59 PM
    for the record, my bold 9900 has never froze before. anyway, i jumped over from an iphone, over to a blackberry. I've been on an iphone for a couple of years, from the beginning till an iphone 4, but i've never been truly satisfied somehow. I found satisfaction after trying out a Bold 9000 for a few months. I then committed myself to a bold 9900, never been happier. My playbook, which is running the same QNX base as BB10 has never froze before either. The only issue is with Android app player, which is rather buggy still. If you don't run android apps, it will run like clockwork. at least for me. i never had to restart my playbook other than to make the android app player work properly again.

Ultimately, i dont see why you shouldn't give it a try. Its just a phone, if you feel like changing to an iphone, just go for it. If you like it, great. If you don't, you can always sell it and get something else. The iPhone is a great device, and it's more expensive only in comparison. Because there's only one latest model at all time. If you compare an iphone to a bold 9900 the prices doesn't differ too much, at least not in my country.

But if i was you, i would hold out for a while if possible. New iPhone is reportedly coming out in October. BB10 phone in September. Just half a year away.
    Snap51 and Morty2264 like this.
    03-25-12 11:02 PM
    I've had freezing issues with my BB's in the past, pretty sure we all have but it was never enough to make me wanna switch and i've had less problems with this since upgrading to my OS7 9860.

My wife switched to an Iphone a while back, much to my dismay and encountered occassional freezing on that as well. After 2 months, a few other issues and missing BBM she came back to BB.

By all means, if you wanna give the Iphone a try, go for it. Check it out. If you like it, keep it but if not, at least you gave it a shot, right?
    03-25-12 11:21 PM
    I have jumped back and forth between iphone & BB. Each one was lacking some feature that could be found on the other platform (notifications, apps, web browsing, keyboard etc.) I always end up coming back to BB because of the consistency of the OS & what it provides as a productivity tool. The 9900 is far and away the best BB i've had in terms of a complete experience (speed, best keyboard, very good web browsing, top shelf construction). I am in the process of selling my 64gb iPhone 4S and going full-time to a Bold 9900. I will probably end up getting an iPad so that i still have access to the iOS app library. The iphone is a GREAT phone, but FOR ME a BB with keyboard will never be obsolete.

Hope this helps
    bbmme likes this.
    03-26-12 12:21 AM
    From my personal experience we get freezing and iphone's get force closing apps.

Our freezing is usually due to the very annoying spinning clock in the middle of the screen. Iphones have the same thing but it is not as bold. Its a spinning circile in the top banner.

Each is a great device for different needs. You'll never know until you use both how different they are from each other and which you will like.

Don't take a new iphone and compare it to your 2-3 year old blackberry. Try a new blackberry bold or torch and an iphone and compare. They are very very similar in speeds on everything from apps to browser.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-26-12 12:45 AM
    its funny most people think switching to iphone is going to be a life changing experience.... ITS NOT. my wife just got here first iphone (4s) and she hates it. the only thing she likes is the camera we have a 9month old and she takes as many pictures as she can. the reality is most BB user that really think android/ios is life changing are those that has like a bb0s5 phone or older. believe me bb0s7 phones are just as good as an iphone. if you are an apps person that just has to play angry birds all day than get an iphone
    03-26-12 12:47 AM
    Thought about everyday, but in the end blackberry for life!! I just ask myself, what do I really need in a phone eh plus I have playbook, its perfect. I also been super lucky with all my BlackBerry eh
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-26-12 12:48 AM
    Just moved to a bb9900 from an iphone, and don't miss it that much. I love the bold, before tablets I probably would have preferred iphone, missed my iphone, these days though I've fallen in love with the 9900, looking forward to what bb10 brings.

I haven't had it crash yet, but I've only had it for a month or so now, running 7.1.
    03-26-12 01:05 AM
    I did about a month ago. Battery life lasts a lot longer than my old 9810, data speeds are pretty much the same, app store has all the apps I want plus tons of games (play them when I'm bored or during long waits). But I did miss bbm for about 2 weeks but I'm over it now, communicate with my bbm contacts through text message now (which is fine but not as good as bbm though). Email works fine, dont see what all the "iPhone's email app sucks" complaints are about since I get them pushed to my phone just like it was when I had a bb. I have to admit I was not a fan of Apple's autocorrect feature at first because it kept substituting the wrong word every time but as time went by it started to recognize the words I'd wanted to be subsituted. Keyboard is amazing as everybody knows already. After a week or 2, I've gotten used to typing on it and now I'm typing as fast as I was on my BB's physical keyboard.

Overall im happy with it so far, just wish there was a bbm app for iOS. I'll probably be back once the bb10 devices come out and they better come with a 4"+ screen or else it may be a deal breaker for me unless the iPhone 5 still remains with the same 3.5" screen.
    Last edited by luqman24; 03-26-12 at 02:12 AM.
    tack and Plazmic Flame like this.
    03-26-12 01:10 AM
    Don't take a new iphone and compare it to your 2-3 year old blackberry. Try a new blackberry bold or torch and an iphone and compare. They are very very similar in speeds on everything from apps to browser.
    This.
    the reality is most BB user that really think android/ios is life changing are those that has like a bb0s5 phone or older. believe me bb0s7 phones are just as good as an iphone.
    And this. The OS7 Devices are very good. I love my Bold 9900 quite a lot. It has sufficient apps to get the job done, is fast, has a good browser.

I just get sick of people comparing the apps and browser of an OS4 Curve to an iphone 4s.
    03-26-12 03:09 AM
    I jumped ship away from iPhone 4 to the 9900. Does everything (minus games) that my iPhone did but now I can BBM family and the call quality, reception is a lot better. Still have the iPhone though but use it as an iPod.
    03-26-12 04:35 AM
    I moved from an iPhone 4 to a Lumia 800 and then to a Bold. I wasn't really using the iPhone much so switched and I never really liked the Lumia. Realised that my life had changed and so my needs from a phone had changed. I dont play games anymore, I use my phone to be more productive now and that's what bb are great at. So it all comes down to what you need from a phone
    Chrisy and Plazmic Flame like this.
    03-26-12 04:58 AM
    I did. After a string of bad Curves and a Storm2, I got an iPhone4s. Love it.

Get what phone you want. You're the one having to use it, not us.
    03-26-12 08:42 AM
    I did the switch in October. Let me give a little backstory first though.

I had a Bold 9650 in Late September. That phone broke and I had to get a replacement because I wasn't due for an upgrade for 2 weeks. So, I filed an insurance claim and VZW replaced my 9650 with a BRAND NEW 9930! So, I have a new 9930 and an upgrade in 2 weeks. Well, 2 days before my upgrade, I bought an iPod Touch for $199. The next morning I realized I could get a new iPhone 4S for the same price with an upgrade and have 2 amazing phones. So, I returned the iPod and bought a 4S.

I used the iPhone for the next 3 months and eventually came back to my BlackBerry. I realized after a few months that the games on the iPhone just weren't enough to keep me happy. I still use those games at night when I use my iPhone as an iPod Touch, but I find myself much happier using my Bold as a phone. I would still be happy with the Bold if I didn't have the iPhone on the side. Games are cool, but now that the PlayBook has some really cool games on it, I just don't NEED the iPhone/iPod Touch like I thought I did.
    03-26-12 09:01 AM
    My wife's iPhone doesn't freeze, but it is not without its quirks. And she absolutely hates Siri. She usually ends up swearing at it because it doesn't work anywhere near as nicely as the commercials would have youy believe. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
    03-26-12 09:26 AM
    My moms iPhone crashed yesterday. I always thought iPhones did not have issues like the that but apparently they do.
    My parents room it to the dealer.
    I thought about getting an iPhone for iMessage since almost everyone I talk to has the iPhone.

But my needs changed too when I started school and I need a physical keyboard and super reliable email.

No need for Android anymore nor iPhone since I now also have a PlayBook.
    03-26-12 09:34 AM
    If I were you, I would wander over to the Apple sub-forum here, iMore or other iPhone-centric forums to also ask the question of other former BB users. Evaluate the sets of responses to get a more normalized opinion set.

Also, if the keyboard is of high value to you, you can also check out the Android keyboard models. While I am not an Android fan their phones are certainly popular and may offer you a better option.

Good luck in finding the best phone for you.
    03-26-12 09:37 AM
    A great lot of very informative replies.

For me, I'm waiting to see how bb10 works out and when they expect to release the Blade - if at all. I doubt I'd go iPhone but only because every time I contemplate that I start noticing a lot of cracked screens and im tough on hardware., plus they're more expensive and lack profiles which I can't imagine living without.

I always suggest a wait and see strategy in these situations.

I hope you really enjoy what ever you pick.
    03-26-12 09:42 AM
    My contract with Sprint ended. Have the CRAPPY/3-4 BATTERY PULLS PER DAY/WEBSITE CRASHING HTC EVO. I'm now month-to-month. Going to play the waiting game for a bit.

Would not want to go back to a smaller screen after 2 years with the EVO but, unless my phone was an aberration, I'm now gun-shy of Android's OS.

Never owned an iPhone and I'm tempted to give one a 30 day spin, but if they do launch a larger screen iPhone this Fall, I'll be pissed being stuck with the smaller one.

Never owned a BB outside of work but I'm very curious to see the BB10 phone.

Old Palm user. Wish they would come back and bring WebOs with them.

If BB10 is hot, I'm in. I'll give me money to whomever earns my business.
    That must be an HTC thing. I have a friend with an evo and they also do battery pulls once in a while. I have a motorola and I have never had to do a battery pull. I've had force closes and i've done the occasional on/off reset but usually clearing my cache will fix most hangups. Just my 2 cents. YMMV
    03-26-12 09:59 AM
    None of my BlackBerry ever froze. If I had to leave the franchise, I would try a Windows phone first.
    03-26-12 10:10 AM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD