My friend is arguing that, if BlackBerry were told by police/fbi/government to give access to their phones, they would comply in a heartbeat.

I can't find anything on the internet - has anyone got any links or know of any cases where BlackBerry have refused access to their phones?
    04-06-16 02:35 AM
    04-06-16 03:19 AM
    They mentioned one incident in 'Losing the Signal' when BlackBerry refused such a request.
    04-06-16 03:19 AM
    Your friend is actually somewhat correct. As long as BBRY is presented with a lawful order, they will most likely comply with it.

Blackberry reiterates stance on encryption: Lawful Compliance and no back doors.
    04-06-16 07:32 AM
    Their approach is the responsible legal one. If you want access, get a warrant.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 08:20 AM
    Their approach is the same as mine for my private property: "No problem officer, you're welcome to look around. Just show me the warrant.". No warrant. No Access.

This is how things work in a nation of laws.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 08:22 AM
    Their approach is the same as mine for my private property: "No problem officer, you're welcome to look around. Just show me the warrant.". No warrant. No Access.

This is how things work in a nation of laws.

Posted via CB10
    In Lazaridis' days, I heard him in an interview on BBC World News in 2011, the answer was VERY DIFFERENT. He said something like: even we don't have access to our users' encryption keys, so we cannot give you access, warrant or not.
    04-06-16 08:46 AM
    In Lazaridis' days, I heard him in an interview on BBC World News in 2011, the answer was VERY DIFFERENT. He said something like: even we don't have access to our users' encryption keys, so we cannot give you access, warrant or not.
    He was referring to BES devices when he said that. Which is true, because the BES owners have the keys and not BB. So law enforcement would have to serve the order to the BES owner. However, BIS was an entirely different entity. If the phone in question was connected via BIS, then yes, BB could accommodate.
    04-06-16 08:52 AM