02-01-12 10:29 AM
26 12
tools
    ... one of (but not mainly) the reasons why BB never soared in the US like Android and Apple is because it's a Canadian company/product? I know there has always been some friendly teasing going on toward our neighbors to the north in mainstream media.

I don't have anything against Canadians, and I love my BB's, but has anyone ever thought of or noticed this stigma?

EDIT (added in from later post)

I am aware of the locations of where other companies products are manufactured. People know where iPads are made (especially after that explosion accident in China), but people cognitively connect Apple as an American brand.

It's not about where it's made but what is perceived, and the reason why I bring it up is because after a recession and tough time, Apple and Android being both US rags-to-riches stories are giving us Americans something to flaunt/root for after we come out of this "Lost Decade".

Just fruit for thought.
    Last edited by jranciano; 01-27-12 at 06:58 PM.
    01-27-12 06:12 PM
    I don"t really think so personally. Todays iPhones and Androids are a lot different than yesterdays Blackberries. The image is aimed at much younger audiences now, and Androids offer very cheap entry whereas Blackberries never used to really offer that.

Just my opinion anyways.
    01-27-12 06:21 PM
    Smart thinking never though about that, but I doubt it since most people outside of crackberry have no idea where Blackberry is from. If you ask most will say Korea?china?Japan?
    01-27-12 06:23 PM
    Lol...I have never even thought about Blackberries being made in Canada. I love my BB because of all the great things that is does and is capable of. I have never noticed or heard of any type of stigma concerning where BB was made. Its a great product for me and that's all that really matters.
    01-27-12 06:26 PM
    Lol...I have never even thought about Blackberries being made in Canada. I love my BB because of all the great things that is does and is capable of. I have never noticed or heard of any type of stigma concerning where BB was made. Its a great product for me and that's all that really matters.
    I second that. I never even gave it a thought, truthfully. I just really like the product and promote it as often as possible...
    01-27-12 06:35 PM
    ... one of (but not mainly) the reasons why BB never soared in the US like Android and Apple is because it's a Canadian company/product? I know there has always been some friendly teasing going on toward our neighbors to the north in mainstream media.

I don't have anything against Canadians, and I love my BB's, but has anyone ever thought of or noticed this stigma?
    I'm not sure that one works, unless you're talking about the Mexicans actually making the phones. There's more prejudice in that direction. And I'm not sure that holds water, either. We know that iPhones are made in China by child labor that work enough hours to be close to slave labor. But that doesn't stop anyone from buying an iPhone.
    01-27-12 06:39 PM
    I am aware of the locations of where other companies products are manufactured. People know where iPads are made (especially after that explosion accident in China), but people cognitively connect Apple as an American brand.

It's not about where it's made but what is perceived, and the reason why I bring it up is because after a recession and tough time, Apple and Android being both US rags-to-riches stories are giving us Americans something to flaunt/root for after we come out of this "Lost Decade".

Just fruit for thought.
    01-27-12 06:51 PM
    Yeah, what is it with Canadian products? 1st you give us a hard time with soft wood lumber, now our phones!
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-27-12 07:00 PM
    I'd wager that until the big service outages, 99 out of 100 technically literate folks would have said "American design, Asian manufacture" if asked about Blackberry. They would have just assumed Cisco/RIM/Dell/Apple/Logitech/etc... had common geographic makeup.

When it was just "RIM announced" or "RIM released" or "RIM produces", there was never a geographic modifier.

Seems like within the past year, it's always "Beleaguered RIM of Waterloo Canada delayed..." or "Troubled Canadian smartphone maker RIM failed to meet..." etc.

Could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

If you seriously think it's one cause, there is more information here.
    01-27-12 07:36 PM
    Part of the misconception in the original post is thinking that BlackBerry never soared in the US. Actually, BlackBerry was taking off very well at one time. Palm was on the way down. Windows Mobile wasn't as great a platform as it could have been. Apple and Android weren't players in the market yet. The Pearl had come out as a consumer device, followed by the Curve 83xx series (which was a #1 seller).

It wasn't until RIM underestimated the iPhone, and Android ramped up to be what it is today, that BlackBerry fell behind. Five years ago, BlackBerry was pretty much choice #1 when it came to smart phones. Even the US government took in a device designed (and networked through) Canada as their only secure communication option for elected officials. They were soaring.

I don't think the fact that it is a Canadian company has anything to do with their current perception. I think it has to do more with slow (and minor incremental) product updates, and poor marketing - especially with the iPhone marketing campaign and a new Android device announced just about every week.

Think about the BlackBerry ads. Commercials that don't show what the devices do, some commercials without even showing a device (in action), DJs talking about BlackBerry while showing people dancing to the DJ's spinning, people talking about BBM with very little showing of actual devices. How is that supposed to compete against iPhone commercials showing how many apps it has, and how easy it is to use?

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    01-27-12 09:08 PM
    OP, you give us Americans' geography and general knowledge too much credit

Seriously though, I really doubt RIM being Canadian has much to do with the decline/slow consumer acceptance. If nationalism was really the driving factor, BBs would have never taken off in the US. I feel it's more the lack of advertising, fewer apps and business user image that have held BB back a little. I feel the iPhone was always marketed as a consumer first phone, and that has helped sales a lot. Even Android has had a steep hill to climb, being the 'nerdy platform,' but it's done better than BB in the fight as the second option OS.
    01-27-12 10:00 PM
    YES! ive said this for years. When RIM was doing well it was talked about everywhere. When it started doing bad it was also talked about everywhere, but now it is ALWAYS linked to Canada or at least to 'the little company that started in so and so' sometimes the people dont even bother to get the city or province right they just say CANADIAN.

This is a huge issue with Canadian companies in US and Ive seen it many times. I will support RIM as long as I can, but at the same time I do believe that for my personal use the iPhone was just easier for me (to get a decent phone and decent music player in a small package) other than that I have been pushing Playbook HARD and i have NEVER told anyone to buy an iPhone.

Canada FTW
    01-27-12 11:55 PM
    I honestly don't think that the majority of people even know that RIM is Canadian, that BlackBerry is Canadian or that RIM makes BlackBerry. And most Americans I know or listen to on the radio seem to have a mostly positive view of Canada and its people, except for maybe Tucker Carlson...
    01-28-12 12:07 AM
    well it does seem like the media is personalizing the brand when refering to RIM being Canadian. but the American media does this all the time ie the Korean manufacturer this or German manufacturer that. Bottom line is RIM needs BB10 phones out ASAP to even begin a turn around of perception. PlayBook OS 2.0 will help but the phones need to be out.

also i don't think the American media owe RIM anything. as a forigin company RIM needs to compete on their terms or take it on he chin. RIM can absolutely compete in the USA market with a BB10 handset if PlayBook is any indication. timing is everything however...
    01-28-12 06:07 AM
    Being a Canadian company in the US is probably more often considered to be irrelevant as US-Canada relations are very good and the two countries do a lot of business with each other
    01-28-12 09:26 AM
    The recession sucks but if a phone is made in in Canada it doesn't bother me. Heck the phones are designed in Canada and they have a production plant in mylasia. Not quite as large or crazy as the apple one we heard about recently.
    I'm sure androids are built overseas as well. They're just thought of here and outsourced to be built in Cheap to run Factories.

Sent from my blabbering thumbs using Tapatalk
    01-28-12 09:31 AM
    not a chance or made in Japan wouldnt have been a bit thing in the 70's-80's.

for me its all industrial design. the bold and curve look so out of date with little design stripes and different trims and all. its all so 80's.

clean simple lines, sleek and stylish controls, simple yet eligent all at once. thats what the market wants and it is not what RIM has.
    01-28-12 10:01 AM
    YES!!! You can never trust a country that produces Justin Bieber!

Seriously? Nah... don't think so. As Xopher stated, a supposed Canadian bias did not stop RIM from ruling the roost not that long ago.
    01-28-12 10:34 AM
    Admittedly, I was slightly bummed to learn that the best smartphone at the time was from Canada. I really wanted to poke my chest out and say, "Yes, we make this... We're awesome. " lol

But as others have stated, Americans really don't care (and many, probably still do not know) about what country makes the device. However, Nokia smartphones aren't doing well here, either. #shrugs

Overall, bad marketing, subpar specs( that leads to subpar performance), lack of apps and innovation, are the reasons RIM is behind. And as someone else pointed out, BlackBerry was once the top dog. Most in part to having the business market on lock, and the Curve being so popular.

Sent from Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk
    01-28-12 02:53 PM
    *sigh* The original Curve... still brings tears of joy to my eyes.

O Canada!!!!
    01-28-12 02:58 PM
    I doubt if most Americans know or care that RIM is a Canadian company.

I always did know, and I thought it was cool, since I don't know anything else made in Canada beside beer.
    01-28-12 03:04 PM
    I doubt if most Americans know or care that RIM is a Canadian company.

I always did know, and I thought it was cool, since I don't know anything else made in Canada beside beer.
    Or Celine Dion and Bret "The Hitman" Hart...
    01-28-12 03:08 PM
    Or Celine Dion and Bret "The Hitman" Hart...
    I'm talking about manufactured products, not celebrities.

Canadian whiskey is good though. But other than BlackBerrys and alcoholic beverages, I can't think of anything else from Canada that I've purchased here.
    01-28-12 03:12 PM
    I'm talking about manufactured products, not celebrities.

Canadian whiskey is good though. But other than BlackBerrys and alcoholic beverages, I can't think of anything else from Canada that I've purchased here.
    It was purely tongue-in-cheek. I had to look that up, actually.

I do have a Canadian "dime."
    01-28-12 05:40 PM
    How many smart phones are actually made in the USA?
    02-01-12 10:23 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD