Oh...well I was hoping that I could but oh well. I'm looking to get a new phone and the droid was first choice but I'm going to pass on it I've met some nice people on BBM n don't really want to give that up just yet. I'm going to stick with getting a bold or another tour. Thanks so much for your help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-10 02:09 AM
    Oh...well I was hoping that I could but oh well. I'm looking to get a new phone and the droid was first choice but I'm going to pass on it I've met some nice people on BBM n don't really want to give that up just yet. I'm going to stick with getting a bold or another tour. Thanks so much for your help.

LiveProfile is similar to BBM for Androids. And you always have GoogleTalk, AIM, Yahoo, and ICQ....
    12-31-10 07:25 AM
    No. RIM doesn't licence BBM out to third parties. It's basically the only thing worth keeping a RIM smartphone for as a consumer.
    That's a pretty narrow-minded view. I rarely use BBM myself, but I still prefer my BB over anything else out there right now. Maybe it's the only thing YOU find of value on a BB, but there are several million of us who find a lot more to like about them.
    12-31-10 08:08 AM
    The Droid X has a better GPU than the Evo, so I call shenanigans on the Live Wallpaper thing (I've played with one more than enough to know that a Live Wallpaper doesn't lag this phone, unless you have a ton of widgets on the Homescreens - and that'll happen on most Android phones). But while you're talking about a phone being sluggish (Full Disclosure: I own a Samsung Vibrant - Two here in fact, and I've had mine replaced twice (both replacements were brand new in box with security tape on them, not refurbs))...

Galaxy S phones have a proprietary filesystem called RFS in them for wear leveling which leads to terrible performance. Sure, the GPU is great, but whenever something is accessing the filesystem, the phone lags. It's in all of the Galaxy S phones, and if you go to YouTube there are demonstrations (easily reproduced). Examples:

This makes it a huge headache to multi-task because apps that perform file operations in the background trigger lag. Background syncs can trigger lag. Installing/Updating Market apps makes the phone unusable until the installation/update is complete. You know, things like that.

Galaxy S phones have 2GB space for App Storage (over 1.5GB free out of the box), which is more than enough. That's not the issue.

The issue is Samsung's terrible support and the phone's terrible performance in Read/Write operations.

Phones with FroYo have App2SD, anyways, so App Storage is not an issue.

Another thing is while the Galaxy S phones are advertised as having 512M RAM, they actually only have 384 and ~128 is dedicated to the GPU - inaccessible by normal applications.

Droid X has better reception and battery life than Galaxy S phones (which matters more than some Live Wallpaper - those are fun for a day or so, though!).

In the end, it's you choice to make.

The only thing that's better on the Fascinate is the screen (oversaturated and drains ton of battery, plus a funny pentile matrix... but yes, it looks good when watching videos).

The software on the Droid X is also much better. Better IM Client, Email Client much better than Galaxy S.

Galaxy S has more internal storage (16 vs DX's 8, DX ships with a 16G SD, Galaxy S with a 2G), and supports more media formats, though (DivX, etc.).

Both of them have DLNA functionality. I think the Droid X also has an FM Radio, which the US Galaxy S Variants do not have.

Oh, and I don't even want to start about the inaccurate GPS (they patched it to make it lock faster, but it's stil inaccurate as **** - borderline unusable).
    User experience matters most to me. The Galaxy S phones performed noticeably better than my Droid X from my experience. In areas where my X would chug or lag, my friend's Captivate just work without issue.

Even with some of the limitations on the SGS phones, I would still take them over a Droid without hesitation. This is coming from someone who had an X since summer and really enjoyed the phone.

12-31-10 11:52 AM
    LiveProfile is similar to BBM for Androids. And you always have GoogleTalk, AIM, Yahoo, and ICQ....
    Requires yet another account setup. As does GoogleTalk, Yahoo, AIM, ICQ, etc. I've already installed WhatsApp and it doesn't even require an account setup, just a phone number verification via SMS. People still don't want to install it.

That's why BBM > IM. You don't have to install anything. You just have to own a Blackberry smartphone. That's also a problem, though. Most "consumers" don't want Blackberries (here). They want phones with good, hi-res displays, fast processors, and good web browsers and decent app stores to back them up.

No, it's not narrowminded to say it's the redeeming factor of bBackberries (I think RIM would agree with me, personally, at least their PR/Advertisement departments would). Most other phone platforms offer push email and have caught up in that area, push notifications and push messaging are on most platfoms as well. The day will come that Microsoft Exchange will be good enough for most people and even their enterprise customers will start to switch (more than they are now) because BES won't be as needed. I already expect Messaging solutions to start implementing features to nullify the BBM advantage.

IRT Droid X vs. Captivate...

If you think a Captivate is better than a Droid X for anything other than being compatible with more codecs on the phone (and a bit more storage, provided you buy a bigger SD Card for it - out of the box it has less), than whatever. That's your opinion.

I have a Galaxy S phone and I know what the user experience is like. I'm in the process of selling it so I can ETF my account and look into buying something else.

The combinatinon of bad performance and shoddy support make this a bad investment. Droid X's are also holding value much better than Galaxy S devices, as well...

I'm sadfaced that I didn't just go with Verizon and get the Droid X, personally. I've never been as regretful of a purchase as I am with this Galaxy S phone. Many agree.

See T-Mobile/Samsung Twitter/Facebook pages.
    12-31-10 04:29 PM
    If you prefer Android, why are you on CrackBerry and not AndroidCentral? Android users are so loud and ANDROID IS BEST! Fine, go love your platform, us BlackBerry users are forever loyal and don't need to shout every five seconds. Our devices give us what we want, that's it.
    12-31-10 07:10 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD