am i crazy? i fianlly got my droid x a month or so ago, and i am looking to trading back for a BB.

has anyone else done this? i am jsut kinda tired of a HUGE phone. dont know..missing my BB..
    12-29-10 07:51 AM
    I tried my brother-in-law's Droid over the holiday weekend, I can't imagine switching back to a Storm!
    12-29-10 08:04 AM
    I got my DroidX about the same time you did. After a series of defective Bolds (9650), I decided I had had enough. The Droid was a totally different experience, but after a month I am totally sold on it. It is extremely fast and with the addition of a few convenience apps like Launcher Pro it is very simple to navigate. The addition of a third party keyboard made typing easier than on a BB keyboard. No way I am going back to the world of Blackberry. I haven't read much about defective Droids, but having experienced four defective Blackberrys, all of which had problems not uncommon to other BB owners, no Bluetooth, bad microphone, no GPS, all manufacturing defects, and having Verizon replace them with phones that were returned to them for the very reasons I was returning them, I decided that it was a losing battle. I am extremely happy with my Droid. It isn't for everyone. You need to be willing to deal with a very steep learning curve initially, but once you are there, there isn't a better phone, IMHO.
    12-29-10 08:20 AM
    am i crazy? i fianlly got my droid x a month or so ago, and i am looking to trading back for a BB.

has anyone else done this? i am jsut kinda tired of a HUGE phone. dont know..missing my BB..
    If you don't mind me asking, what are your main issues with the Droid X? I have never used any style of Droid device so I really have no sense of what they can and cannot do.
    12-29-10 08:22 AM
    If you don't mind me asking, what are your main issues with the Droid X? I have never used any style of Droid device so I really have no sense of what they can and cannot do.
    Good question since all I have done is held and played with a few of them that I have had customers of mine at work stop in that had them. They seem ok both Motorola and HTC but not ready to flip just yet. I would like to know the same thing though and I do frequent the Android Central website to read what they talk about as well.
    12-29-10 10:16 AM
    I played an afternoon with my nephew's HTC Incredible (2.2) over the holidays. I really liked it a lot; but for me, the only real excitement was the speed of the internet. I don't play games or watch videos (an occassional YouTube) so that is lost on me. I liked the larger screen and the "feel" of it was fine. I even found typing a text message very easy...I did not miss SurePress as much as I thought I would. As far as screens - I still liked BB's FB, dialer, contact, BBweather, email, SMS, etc., as well or better than the HTC's...mine seem more colorful, I don't know.
    So for me I found out that it won't kill me to switch from BB to Droid; I can type just fine w/o SP; and that for what I do, other than Internet speed, my S2 is still OK. Do I want a bigger screen & faster speed, you bet I do. My NE2 is up in June 2011, so if BB has nothing OUTSTANDING, then off to Droid I go!
    12-29-10 02:13 PM
    My brother-in-law has a DroidX and he loves it, but he isn't very tech savvy, just goes with what is popular, but I will say if I went back to Android, you would be hard pressed to find a better experience over the X...maybe the EVO, but the X is an awesome phone.

Easy to type on, tons of apps(duh), awesome scree and really he said battery life isn't all that bad, granted he did put an extended battery in his.

If I switched now, probably go X...would like to try a bigger phone, but still do think the 9700 is the best form factor out there...IMO of course.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    muse480 likes this.
    12-29-10 02:36 PM
    I left BB and went Android when the Droid came out. I also owned an iPhone at the time. There is no way in **** I would trade my Droid X in for a BB. For my use, that would be an extreme downgrade. I use all the features my Android device provides, features that are not available on BB and wont be until they use better hardware. The Droid X also has the best battery life out of any Android device on the market (last time I checked). It also is extremely reliable at holding a signal and has great call quality. It has 2 antennas so it makes things work great.
    Last edited by avt123; 12-29-10 at 05:45 PM.
    12-29-10 05:43 PM
    And android is being attacked by a trojan malware worm in china.

12-29-10 11:02 PM
    I had the X and got tired of the size real quick. I also hated always monitoring my battery life....I have a Curve 3G and love it. I also have an iPad for the web and apps.
    12-29-10 11:44 PM

Do it! I had the droid x and it's just too buggy plus the battery life is a disgrace even with the big battery.
    12-30-10 08:51 AM

Good thing we don't live in China

and as per our Android section we have two excellent post.

It begins, and ends with the user, and his /her responsibility
    Don't download apps from a Chinese server. Anyone connected to the internet not from China should know this. There is absolutely nothing to worry about.
    12-30-10 10:04 AM
    To answer the OP's question I think going back to a non-QNX powered Blackberry would a step backwards in time. I've been a long time Blackberry user. And the platform will always have a place in my heart. But honestly it's a step backwards. Hopefully QNX will bring what blackberries need. But i don't see that being and option anytime soon. Heck the playbook will not even be releasing on time.
    12-30-10 10:07 AM
    To answer the OP's question I think going back to a non-QNX powered Blackberry would a step backwards in time. I've been a long time Blackberry user. And the platform will always have a place in my heart. But honestly it's a step backwards. Hopefully QNX will bring what blackberries need. But i don't see that being and option anytime soon. Heck the playbook will not even be releasing on time.
    I agree, BlackBerry phones will always be a favorite of mine. They just haven't made any that are worth buying at this point.

12-30-10 11:44 AM

And this trojan is absolutely nothing to worry about. It is only available in third party chinese app stores.
    12-30-10 12:51 PM
    My nephew bought one because he thought his 9650 was sh1t and he loved the openness and the freedom yadda, yadda, yadda of the Droid. Bigger screen, more power....on and on and on....

The thing went back in two weeks....

And as far as not downloading anything that goes through a Chinese server.....some people might not know that, until it's too late.....
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 12-30-10 at 01:01 PM.
    12-30-10 12:57 PM
    You're not crazy. I really like Android and what it can do. Unfortunately, it is not nearly as mature as Blackberry. When there is work to be done, I want my Blackberry. When I want to navigate or check the weather or do Facebook or Twitter or find a movie etc. I want my Android device. (Wish I could have both worlds in one phone). I've had two Androids that were too big: myTouch Slide and Samsung Vibrant. The Vibrant wasn't as heavy as the Slide, but it was still awkwardly large for me. I've now got an LG Optimus T which is only a little bit bigger than my 9700 and gets about double the battery life of either of my former Androids. You might think of just trading for a smaller, more efficient Android and see if that fits your needs.
    12-30-10 02:20 PM
    You have to pay attention to what apps, widgets, and services you install/use on an Android phone. Some of them can drain your battery. Looking pretty != good choice.

In the Vibrant (which I have) the Stock Exchange client drains ridiculous amounts of battery. The stock Mail Client also isn't as good as the Droid X's, either.

There are no number stamps on GMail, Email, Talk, Messaging, Phone, etc. Apps to tell you how many unreads you have.

Some Android phones (like the Vibrant) are missing trivial widgets like Upcoming Event. Samsung even ripped out the stock media player widget.

Mid-Ranged devices aren't worth buying on contract. They simply end up costing too much over the course of the contract, and are almost never future proof.

I have issues picking a mid ranged Android device over a high end Galaxy S or Droid X model with good hardware and 8-16 GB of internal storage + SD Card slot just because it's a bit smaller, but YMMV.

I think the Droid X is better than the Galaxy S, simply because the specs are very similar, it still has a lot of internal storage, it has a better user interface/widgets and Email client, and Motorola has much better software support for their flagship phones than Samsung can ever dream of.

Droid X runs 2.2.1. Galaxy S in the US is still stuck on 2.1.

Also, fragmentation is also a big problem with Android, but as a BB user you probably don't mind that :P
    12-30-10 04:00 PM
    You're not crazy. I really like Android and what it can do. Unfortunately, it is not nearly as mature as Blackberry. When there is work to be done, I want my Blackberry. When I want to navigate or check the weather or do Facebook or Twitter or find a movie etc. I want my Android device. (Wish I could have both worlds in one phone). I've had two Androids that were too big: myTouch Slide and Samsung Vibrant. The Vibrant wasn't as heavy as the Slide, but it was still awkwardly large for me. I've now got an LG Optimus T which is only a little bit bigger than my 9700 and gets about double the battery life of either of my former Androids. You might think of just trading for a smaller, more efficient Android and see if that fits your needs.
    The size does not bother me, nor does the weight; I don't want to carry around a soda cracker in my pocket. It's true, it is not as mature as BB, but there is ONE BIG DIFFERENCE - they work QUICKLY at improving it and with each build it has become more and more refined. I used my nephew's Incredible over the holidays and I have the same complaints about it as I do about the S2 (other than internet slowness) - where are the large pictures in the contact/phone/messaging areas - more colorful, detailed icons/screens - we have this large colorful screen, let's use it for heavensake! The screens, for the most part, looked very "blah," for lack of a better term.
    12-30-10 04:26 PM
    You have to pay attention to what apps, widgets, and services you install/use on an Android phone. Some of them can drain your battery. Looking pretty != good choice.

In the Vibrant (which I have) the Stock Exchange client drains ridiculous amounts of battery. The stock Mail Client also isn't as good as the Droid X's, either.

There are no number stamps on GMail, Email, Talk, Messaging, Phone, etc. Apps to tell you how many unreads you have.

Some Android phones (like the Vibrant) are missing trivial widgets like Upcoming Event. Samsung even ripped out the stock media player widget.

Mid-Ranged devices aren't worth buying on contract. They simply end up costing too much over the course of the contract, and are almost never future proof.

I have issues picking a mid ranged Android device over a high end Galaxy S or Droid X model with good hardware and 8-16 GB of internal storage + SD Card slot just because it's a bit smaller, but YMMV.

I think the Droid X is better than the Galaxy S, simply because the specs are very similar, it still has a lot of internal storage, it has a better user interface/widgets and Email client, and Motorola has much better software support for their flagship phones than Samsung can ever dream of.

Droid X runs 2.2.1. Galaxy S in the US is still stuck on 2.1.

Also, fragmentation is also a big problem with Android, but as a BB user you probably don't mind that :P
    I just sold my Droid X but I also got to play with a friend's Captivate. IMO, the Galaxy S phones are the best Android devices. They seem to have the best hardware for running Android. The X is a powerhouse too but it falls short on some things. For example, I couldn't stand loading live wallpapers on my X because they made it sluggish but they ran well on Galaxy S phones because they have a much better GPU. The only thing I think the X/D2 have over the Galaxy S phones are much more space for app storage. Other than that, I think the Galaxy S phones are better.

Also, BBs aren't nearly as fragmented as Android devices. All BBs run the same skin unlike Android and you can actually pull updates from the official BB site even if carriers dont release them. You can pull updates with Android as well but they take longer to release because of all the different skins and devices that run different kinds of hardware, not to mention you have to hack the phone to do so.

12-30-10 06:48 PM
    To respond to the point of people not knowing before it's too late, people should know anyways for their own good. Linux isn't for everyone, but I do learn a lot about what I'm putting in; and pulling out of my system. Self-sufficiency is becoming a lost art - thankfully, very slowly.
    12-30-10 07:48 PM
    Had the Evo for almost a month and sent it back. Happily back on my Tour at the moment and planning on getting a newer BB.
    12-30-10 08:17 PM
    I just sold my Droid X but I also got to play with a friend's Captivate. IMO, the Galaxy S phones are the best Android devices. They seem to have the best hardware for running Android. The X is a powerhouse too but it falls short on some things. For example, I couldn't stand loading live wallpapers on my X because they made it sluggish but they ran well on Galaxy S phones because they have a much better GPU. The only thing I think the X/D2 have over the Galaxy S phones are much more space for app storage. Other than that, I think the Galaxy S phones are better.

Also, BBs aren't nearly as fragmented as Android devices. All BBs run the same skin unlike Android and you can actually pull updates from the official BB site even if carriers dont release them. You can pull updates with Android as well but they take longer to release because of all the different skins and devices that run different kinds of hardware, not to mention you have to hack the phone to do so.

The Droid X has a better GPU than the Evo, so I call shenanigans on the Live Wallpaper thing (I've played with one more than enough to know that a Live Wallpaper doesn't lag this phone, unless you have a ton of widgets on the Homescreens - and that'll happen on most Android phones). But while you're talking about a phone being sluggish (Full Disclosure: I own a Samsung Vibrant - Two here in fact, and I've had mine replaced twice (both replacements were brand new in box with security tape on them, not refurbs))...

Galaxy S phones have a proprietary filesystem called RFS in them for wear leveling which leads to terrible performance. Sure, the GPU is great, but whenever something is accessing the filesystem, the phone lags. It's in all of the Galaxy S phones, and if you go to YouTube there are demonstrations (easily reproduced). Examples:

This makes it a huge headache to multi-task because apps that perform file operations in the background trigger lag. Background syncs can trigger lag. Installing/Updating Market apps makes the phone unusable until the installation/update is complete. You know, things like that.

Galaxy S phones have 2GB space for App Storage (over 1.5GB free out of the box), which is more than enough. That's not the issue.

The issue is Samsung's terrible support and the phone's terrible performance in Read/Write operations.

Phones with FroYo have App2SD, anyways, so App Storage is not an issue.

Another thing is while the Galaxy S phones are advertised as having 512M RAM, they actually only have 384 and ~128 is dedicated to the GPU - inaccessible by normal applications.

Droid X has better reception and battery life than Galaxy S phones (which matters more than some Live Wallpaper - those are fun for a day or so, though!).

In the end, it's you choice to make.

The only thing that's better on the Fascinate is the screen (oversaturated and drains ton of battery, plus a funny pentile matrix... but yes, it looks good when watching videos).

The software on the Droid X is also much better. Better IM Client, Email Client much better than Galaxy S.

Galaxy S has more internal storage (16 vs DX's 8, DX ships with a 16G SD, Galaxy S with a 2G), and supports more media formats, though (DivX, etc.).

Both of them have DLNA functionality. I think the Droid X also has an FM Radio, which the US Galaxy S Variants do not have.

Oh, and I don't even want to start about the inaccurate GPS (they patched it to make it lock faster, but it's stil inaccurate as **** - borderline unusable).
    Last edited by N8ter; 12-30-10 at 11:22 PM.
    12-30-10 11:20 PM
    I really have thought to go to a droid also but the only thing holding me back is the BBM. I really don't want to give that up. So I was wondering if anyone knew whether I could get BBM somehow on a droid? Is that possible?

12-31-10 12:58 AM
    I really have thought to go to a droid also but the only thing holding me back is the BBM. I really don't want to give that up. So I was wondering if anyone knew whether I could get BBM somehow on a droid? Is that possible?

No. RIM doesn't licence BBM out to third parties. It's basically the only thing worth keeping a RIM smartphone for as a consumer. That's why they have such an aggressive BBM-focused ad campaign going on.

You can use something like WhatsApp though, which offers many of the same features of BBM. I've tried it, but I could only find one person willing to install it, which makes it a waste of an app to me.
    12-31-10 01:58 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD