That on wifi BB browser can perform faster than an iphone 4..
    I wouldn't believe this myself, but-
    I was showing my mother that she could watch videos on youtube on her
    Curve 9300 . So she has the wifi turned on and as I search the
    vid and click play I am blowen away by how fast it starts streaming
    Without needing to buffer. I though right away that this seems faster than
    any mobile browser I have used. Later I tried my 9780 against my gf's IP4
    And again my 9780 creamed it by at least 2 seconds which is a lot considereding
    I tried a few other pages and the BB loaded them incrediblley fast ESPECIALLY
    By comparison to how it runs off of 3G like I am mainly used to using.
    I know BB compress data and it reads pre rendered data from a rim server
    Or something like that forgive me but I am wondering.. Should they b doing that??
    Like would the browser not work wayyy faster if they weren't compressing it or what ever is
    Causing it to be slow.
    Good chance I am way off on a lot of this that is why I am trying to gain some
    insight regarding this issue from some of the more knowlesgeable users here on the forum
    I wish I could tell u more about the wifi connect what I can say is it is provided
    By bell aliant in Halifax NS, Canada
    Thanks and sorry for the TL/Dr post lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Adam McNugget; 12-12-10 at 10:18 PM.
    12-12-10 10:11 PM
    I don't think the issue on 3G has to do with the data compression. It probably helps. When you're on 3G you're dealing with other users all transferring data so the bandwidth is shared and will be slower. On a home WiFi, you have much more bandwidth available to transmit data to the phone. If you go to a public WiFi location with a lot of users connected, you will notice it can be slower than 3G depending on how many people are connected and what they are doing.
    12-12-10 10:33 PM
    You're not the only one to claim this. I hope you're ready to get lots of comments from iPhone fanboys claiming, "it's not possible that a BB can do anything better than an iPhone can." Just ignore them though, because there will always be mixed results.

BlackBerry only compresses data over the carrier network though, it's all normal (un-compressed) when using a wifi connection...
    12-12-10 10:38 PM
    Your original post does not specify whether the Curve 3G in question is running OS5 or OS6...reason is because in OS5, your Blackberry still connects to RIM's servers even over Wi-Fi (unless you manually select Hotspot browser), whereas in OS6, your BB always connects directly to the Internet via Wi-fi and bypasses RIM's NOC (don't believe me? Go to any IP address site on your Curve with 3G and then wi-fi in OS5 and OS6, and you'll see what I mean)
    12-12-10 10:41 PM
    browser wise when u use any bb on 3G vs any iphone on 3G, the iphone kills it speed wise no comparison especially the ip4. thats why i thought it was crazy that a bb could load some pages and vid i tried faster than the ip4. i only tried my 9780 side by side vs the ip4 and it was indeed slightly faster, but when i was using
    the 9300 on stock os5 even that seemed like it was seriously fast really caught me off guard. so it has to be something to do with this whole data compression thing. makes me think maybe they could have the fastest mobile browser if they rethought a few things. like i said i could be way off i don't have all the facts but i know what i have seen and that is the bb browser moving like lightning lol
    12-12-10 11:19 PM
    While the content may load faster in terms of speed, I think no one will argue that the quality of the content is better on the iPhone then on a BB for both website render as well as YouTube video quality. The BB will load the 3GP version of the YouTube video, the iPhone loads the MP4 high quality of the video. Even if you choose HD quality on some YT videos on the BB, you still don't get the same quality as you do on the iPhone. This is also one of the big reasons why caching and playback of the video is quicker on the BB as well... the size of the video file itself is smaller. But of course, no one looks at the real technical reasons for their findings...
    12-12-10 11:50 PM
    I recently switched from an i4 to the 9800, and on my wifi, with a Linksys router, hi-speed DSL, the i4 was faster connecting to the internet. Maybe just at my house, but that's my experience.
    12-13-10 07:13 AM
    Iphone 4 has the worst youtube player on any mobile platform. Especially over wifi. I dont know what cuases this, but I experience it everytime I use it. Other than this specific data application, the Iphone 4 is faster..........much faster.
    12-13-10 08:49 AM
    While the content may load faster in terms of speed, I think no one will argue that the quality of the content is better on the iPhone then on a BB for both website render as well as YouTube video quality. The BB will load the 3GP version of the YouTube video, the iPhone loads the MP4 high quality of the video. Even if you choose HD quality on some YT videos on the BB, you still don't get the same quality as you do on the iPhone. This is also one of the big reasons why caching and playback of the video is quicker on the BB as well... the size of the video file itself is smaller. But of course, no one looks at the real technical reasons for their findings...
    The paid version of the "Player for YouTube" app plays the HQ video. Despite what many App World reviewers say, I find that it works just fine on 3G on my 9780, and the quality is good.
    12-13-10 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD