I've had an iphone and switched to bb.
    02-28-12 04:20 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    nothing tops the Bold 9900 as a communications device... i agree ..... Keyboard is world's best!
    recompile likes this.
    02-28-12 06:19 PM
    I gave the Galaxy Nexus a billing cycle. Back to the Bold 9930. I came back because I missed my Blackberry. And the GN calendar kept shutting down while I was typing in new appointments/tasks. Sorry,but I need my calendar to work on my cell phone. The big screen on the GN was nice, but the thing is a mini-tablet. The 9930 is so much smaller and easily slides into my pocket. Oh, and the GN battery life was awful.

So that's why I came back. I may stray every now and then, but BB is where my heart is.
    Chrisy and JR A like this.
    02-28-12 06:23 PM
    I gave the Galaxy Nexus a billing cycle. Back to the Bold 9930. I came back because I missed my Blackberry. And the GN calendar kept shutting down while I was typing in new appointments/tasks. Sorry,but I need my calendar to work on my cell phone. The big screen on the GN was nice, but the thing is a mini-tablet. The 9930 is so much smaller and easily slides into my pocket. Oh, and the GN battery life was awful.

So that's why I came back. I may stray every now and then, but BB is where my heart is.

I have a similar issue with the GN while typing. While typing fast I will accidentally hit the home navigation button rather than the space bar and it pops me back to my home screen, thus interrupting my train of thought. It drives me nuts, but wasn't an issue on my other Android phones since those didn't have virtual nav buttons.

To the OP: I switch between the Galaxy Nexus and 9930 but I am on my Bold the majority of the time. I enjoy playing around with Android, messing with new ROMs and such. But when it comes down to it, my BlackBerry works better for me.

I prefer the GN camera to the Bold's, I miss the official Google+ app (the beta recently put out by a 3rd party company is looking promising, though!). The thing I miss the most is Google Wallet. Of course, I can't use that on my GN right now, either! I thought I would miss the screen size, but I really don't. It IS nice to have when using it, however while using my Bold I never feel like I need a bigger screen.

When I'm on my GN I miss the keyboard, all the RIM/BlackBerry apps, call/speaker phone quality, universal search, shortcut keys, and sound profiles/bedside mode!
    And to me, not counting download speed from App World and app install time (which is ridiculously slow as we all know) - but in daily use, the Bold just feels quicker.

Just my $0.02!

Sent from my Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    soogriff and JR A like this.
    02-28-12 07:32 PM
    That's odd, I get emails 10-20 seconds faster on my iPhone than my 9900...I've timed them side by side.

The longest I've made it before putting my sim back in my iPhone is 3 days. There's too much I do on my iPhone that the screensize for the 9900 makes irritating, and I just watched my 9900 battery drop from 82% to 56% with an hour of message board browsing. My iPhone battery drops by maybe 10% in that same time. That's ridiculous. RIM is peeving me with this crap battery.
    Depends what kind of email account, exchange will be faster on an iphone but if you have your own hosted account you're stuck on 15 minutes waiting time. If the account supports imap it will be instant on a Blackberry.

I've also noticed when a new email comes to a Blackberry the email body is already there, on a friend's iphone he always seems to wait for the email to open, especially on EDGE, on GPRS it takes minutes to open.

Edit- is there no cheap prepay sims for you guys across the pond? In UK it only costs �5 a month on prepay and you get 500mb, something like that would be much better then swapping sims all the time.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 02-29-12 at 03:30 AM.
    02-29-12 03:25 AM
    I had a Galaxy S2 for less than 2 weeks.
    I thought that as a media device it was good, but as a phone not very good. I had problems with call quality, echoing etc.

I didnt really like the way that it handled email and messaging either and felt very "open".

So I came back to Blackberry and the Torch 9860.
    02-29-12 06:02 AM
    I left BlackBerry for Android. I used the HTC Thunderbolt for 10 months before trading it for a 9650. The Thunderbolt was a great device and did way more than BlackBerry devices (flash browser, front facing camera, Skype, Netflix, embedded pictures in email, widgets).

I liked all the capabilities it had but the few considerations it had were dealbreakers for me.

Horrible battery life. I had to get an extended battery. The phone was too big and heavy with or without the extended battery.

Couldn't see the screen in sunshine.

I didn't like that alot of apps asked for invasion permissions.

I went back to BlackBerry for those reasons. Smaller device with keyboard. LED and notifications much better. Battery life MUCH better.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    02-29-12 06:55 AM
    Forgot to add:

I also have a PlayBook now to cover all the things I liked about Android that my 9650 doesn't do or do well. Flash browser, large screen, video calling, great camera.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    02-29-12 06:59 AM
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and am thinking of either going for the 9860 or the Samsung Focus S WP w/ 7.5. Last BB I had was the Bold 9700 w/ 5. I have had all the iPhone's except the 4S. Just like the look of the 9860.
    02-29-12 01:48 PM
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and am thinking of either going for the 9860 or the Samsung Focus S WP w/ 7.5. Last BB I had was the Bold 9700 w/ 5. I have had all the iPhone's except the 4S. Just like the look of the 9860.
    You might be a good candidate to hold off and wait a few more months for BB10. Ok, 6 or 7 months. But if you prefer full touch screens, BB10 is probably going to give you a fuller experience than one of the current crop. Although I'm sure you'll find that BB7 is a huge leap forward from BB5; so if you've got the itch for something new now, the 9860 would probably scratch it as well.
    brucejr70 likes this.
    02-29-12 03:37 PM
    You might be a good candidate to hold off and wait a few more months for BB10. Ok, 6 or 7 months. But if you prefer full touch screens, BB10 is probably going to give you a fuller experience than one of the current crop. Although I'm sure you'll find that BB7 is a huge leap forward from BB5; so if you've got the itch for something new now, the 9860 would probably scratch it as well.

This. I'm on my second attempt to use the 9900 for longer than a day and I'm staring at my iPhone and considering just turfing the 9900 in the drawer for good. The screen size is killing me. As nice as the 9900 is, I type just as fast on my iPhone and can see the screen.
    The 9900 is a wonderful phone but this screen size is stupid.
    02-29-12 03:45 PM
    Hi,

I switched from an htc sensation back to my 9700. What did i miss the blackberry. The htc is now used for work. But mostly using my old friend Boldje!
    Im thinking to buy an 9900 soon. Really love that bigger keyboard. Bit old 9000 feeling.

Have tried iphones, android, windows, symbian. And i always come back to blackberry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    02-29-12 03:52 PM
    I had an origonal Iphone for 2 years... What I had learned early on is that a lots of the reason people seem to like Iphones and Android is what I call "eye candy" ..... they have slick interfaces but for me and some other friends who adpopted BB when our contracts were up.... The slick factor wore off and the functional aspect came into play...

Why I like the blackberry is I find it more functional... The BB user interface is more intuitive than before but that is where Apple has it nailed.... Their user interface is really easy but trouble starts when you want to get deeper into the phone... Many times you can't to to Apple's tightly controlled archetecture....

My final reason for leaving was the lack of durability of the Apple product.... To me at least they feel cheap next to a BB9800... I do not know how many times I have seen an Iphone be dropped and "no worky".... Do not say BB can't but with the number of times I have dropped mine ( clutz I am ) I have yet to break one.....
    JR A likes this.
    02-29-12 04:17 PM
    Not me. I went from the Bold 9930 the iPhone and I have to say for business the iPhone well out paces the 9930. Multi-media the iPhone again beats it hands down. I do miss being able to bridge my 9930 to my PB. While I did enjoy the BB while I had it after trying out an iPhone for a week (exchanged w/roommate), I had to go get my own.
    02-29-12 04:21 PM
    This. I'm on my second attempt to use the 9900 for longer than a day and I'm staring at my iPhone and considering just turfing the 9900 in the drawer for good. The screen size is killing me. As nice as the 9900 is, I type just as fast on my iPhone and can see the screen.
    The 9900 is a wonderful phone but this screen size is stupid.
    It's all just a matter of what you're used to and what fits you best. I wouldn't mind if the 9900's display were a little larger, but it's an easy compromise for me because I just cannot get used to typing on a touch screen. I love the keyboard, and the display is big enough for what I do with it. If you've been using the iPhone for awhile, I can easily see how you'd get used to the larger screen. And if you're one of those who has no problem typing on a virtual keyboard, then maybe the 9900 just isn't for you. We would forgive you. Eventually.
    reeneebob likes this.
    02-29-12 04:26 PM

Interesting. My calendar works perfectly. No crashes. Works just like it is suppose to. Also with the extended battery I able able to easily get a full day (when I wake up in the morning until I go to sleep around 12am on a normal night) with moderate-heavy use with LTE on as well.

Glad to hear the 9930 is working well for you.
    02-29-12 04:37 PM
    I left BlackBerry for Android. I used the HTC Thunderbolt for 10 months before trading it for a 9650. The Thunderbolt was a great device and did way more than BlackBerry devices (flash browser, front facing camera, Skype, Netflix, embedded pictures in email, widgets).

I liked all the capabilities it had but the few considerations it had were dealbreakers for me.

Horrible battery life. I had to get an extended battery. The phone was too big and heavy with or without the extended battery.

Couldn't see the screen in sunshine.

I didn't like that alot of apps asked for invasion permissions.

I went back to BlackBerry for those reasons. Smaller device with keyboard. LED and notifications much better. Battery life MUCH better.
    If you ever come back to Android in the future, your experience will most likely be much battery (screen and battery life). The ThunderBolt is known to be one of the worst Android devices ever when it comes to battery life (HTC in general actually) and it didn't help that it was a first gen LTE device. The newer devices last much longer and even have more powerful hardware.

Also, I can't agree that notifications are much better on the BB, because notification on Android are much more customizable. It is just a preference I guess. LED lights all work the same way.

The BB and PB combo is awesome though if you don't mind carrying multiple devices to do all those thing.
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-29-12 04:42 PM
    I guess the Thunderbolt was not that great all around. The LED was bad as I couldn't even see it when it flashed. I always have my phone on silent so I count on the LED. The Thunderbolt had the smallest LED and it was under the speaker grill. Bad, bad.

If I try Android again I'll make sure the LED is good and that the screen can be seen in sunshine. Those things killed it for me.

Also, ill not used an extended battery anymore. Too heavy.

I would try Android again though. But I'm very happy with my BlackBerry and Playbook at the moment!

My eyes feel less strained!

I actually prefer multiple devices now. That way I know my phone will last longer because I'm doing my browsing and most multimedia on the tab. The tab is better suited to that than my Android. The Android screen was too small for extended browsing, movies, videos, etc.

This way, my eyes don't hurt. And the playbook is big enough to be good on the eyes and small enough to be really portable. So yes, my two BlackBerry devices are needed to do everything my Android could do. But it is much better this way!

I can drain the playbook and it isn't an issue. But I need my phone to be alive! I was constantly draining the Android since I was doing everything in it.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 02-29-12 at 05:50 PM.
    avt123 likes this.
    02-29-12 05:44 PM
    I guess the Thunderbolt was not that great all around. The LED was bad as I couldn't even see it when it flashed. I always have my phone on silent so I count on the LED. The Thunderbolt had the smallest LED and it was under the speaker grill. Bad, bad.

If I try Android again I'll make sure the LED is good and that the screen can be seen in sunshine. Those things killed it for me.

I would try Android again though. But I'm very happy with my BlackBerry and Playbook at the moment!

I actually prefer multiple devices now. That way I know my phone will last longer because I'm doing my browsing and most multimedia on the tab. The tab is better suited to that than my Android. The Android screen was too small for extended browsing, movies, videos, etc.

This way, my eyes don't hurt. And the playbook is big enough to be good on the eyes and small enough to be really portable. So yes, my two BlackBerry devices are needed to do everything my Android could do. But it is much better this way!

I can drain the playbook and it isn't an issue. But I need my phone to be alive! I was constantly draining the Android since I was doing everything in it.
    At least you are enjoying what you have, that's all that matters.

Also, my Galaxy Nexus with the extended battery feels like it weighs the same as my iPhone 4. The Thunderbolt was a clunky device so the extended in that would be ridiculous lol.
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-29-12 05:54 PM
    Well, I *do miss my kickstand!
    avt123 likes this.
    02-29-12 05:57 PM
    Well, I *do miss my kickstand!
    Just curious have you considered a i4s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-29-12 06:10 PM
    I am still considering an iPhone 4. My family mostly has iPhones so iMessage would be great.
    02-29-12 10:15 PM
    I have a 9900, a S2 and an iPhone 4. If I want to be productive and do more on my phone while being on it less, the 9900 beats them all(for me). If I have lots of time on my hands(on the weekends), I usually pop my SIM card in the S2, great device. Had all the iPhones that got released except for the 4S. I find the OS very boring these days(to me) as I also have an iPod touch and an iPad 1(which doesn't get used cause I have a PB and a Tab 10.1) and the OS is the same on all of them. Idevices don't excite me anymore like the use too(and I was one of those guy who would always like up for new Apple products). If I were to choose one phone and have to sell the rest, the 9900 would be the keeper for me. The little things it does, it does way better than the other two, and those are the things I find most important to me as it saves me so much time. I get lots of emails and messages all day, so the less I'm on the phone the better and the 9900 does that for me! The 2 features I love about this phone are the LED light and the holster. If I leave my phone on the counter at home, I don't even have to wake it up to check if I have a message, just look at the LED and the color(saves me time) and when I have my phone in the holster and I get an alert, I pop out my phone and my message is on the screen(read it, reply to it or put it back in the holster, saves me time, no swiping or opening up any apps). The more messages and alerts you get, the more the 9900 shines!
    Last edited by Frosty_Power; 03-01-12 at 01:14 AM.
    03-01-12 01:10 AM

Lol, Chrisy, aren't You getting tired of explaining this over and over again?

So you left a dual core lte high end android for an old BlackBerry and a PlayBook, surely there must be something wrong with you

Maybe you should try this one, or maybe this other one, it never ends no?

By the way, I have an android owner and developer mate and since he got his free PlayBook at devcon Europe I loaned him my 9700. He's now looking to buy one and sell his LG Optimus

His Android app is called Androidnogo(for playing Go game) he's porting it to the PlayBook now
    03-01-12 01:29 AM
    So you left a dual core lte high end android for an old BlackBerry and a PlayBook, surely there must be something wrong with you
    The Thunderbolt isn't dual core and it was barely high end (it was high end for under a month). Also, no one said anything was wrong with her. I was just addressing some of the complaints that she had have changed.
    03-01-12 01:42 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD