BBM had a declared subscriber base of around 90M a year or so back (BB's own figures!). I strongly doubt that number has increased since then.
    And how many of those subscribers are using devices that support BBM Video? Significantly less than the total.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-19-16 11:29 AM
    And how many of those subscribers are using devices that support BBM Video? Significantly less than the total.
    Yeah, xBBM was a bust wasn't it?

No BBM Video for you Oliver!!!

Knowing that xBBM was a bust, why anyone believed that BB could deliver the much harder thing of implementing a cross-platform Hub etc is beyond me.

When the BB Experience Suite was announced, I did two things: laughed out loud, and assumed that BB would shortly be releasing an Android phone. I wish predicting the lottery numbers was as easy as reading BB!
    04-19-16 11:37 AM
    But BB10 had all of that pretty much from day one. I know because the first thing I deleted on my z10 in February 2013 was linked-in, facebook, twitter and skype...
    Snapchat? Instagram? Whatsapp?

Only one of those came officially.

And look at it now, with the apps that have left.
    Ronindan and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    04-19-16 11:43 AM
    Yeah, xBBM was a bust wasn't it?

No BBM Video for you Oliver!!!

Knowing that xBBM was a bust, why anyone believed that BB could deliver the much harder thing of implementing a cross-platform Hub etc is beyond me.

When the BB Experience Suite was announced, I did two things: laughed out loud, and assumed that BB would shortly be releasing an Android phone. I wish predicting the lottery numbers was as easy as reading BB!
    Just don't think it was even possible to have HUB work for iOS, which would have made it pretty much a useless add on for BES/Good if it wasn't compatible with the majority of enterprise devices.

Never mind the manpower and cost for trying to do both iOS and Windows, along with even more apps for Android.

But I will say I hope they keep improving and maybe even adding to what they created for the PRIV. I've enjoyed have some of the functionality of BB10 back on my Droid..... I'll admit I'd even pay for it. If it was real world prices and not BlackBerry prices.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-19-16 03:34 PM
    Two days ago I came home for an 8-month long trip and I found my backup Passport SE waiting for me. I took it out of the package, I downloaded all 100 BB10 apps or so that I already have on my current Passport OG, I stuck the SD card from my Passport OG in my Passport SE, and there I was, fully operational in a few hours (download time of apps from appstore through internet).

What's the difference? My private files were on my SD card, not Google's, who owns your files if you store them with Google in US.

How long and how much it would have cost you to download 100GByte of data (what I have on my SD card) from Google's cloud?
    Your use case is rather simplistic.

The Hardware Question-img_20160420_081818.png

CB app got stuck... and I'm lazy right now :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-19-16 05:19 PM
    A few hours of manually downloading individual apps vs. 10 minutes for me, only having to click "Restore." See the difference?

With my files on Google, I have access to them from my home PCs, work PCs, phones, tablets, and I can even get to them from a customer's computer - which I do from time to time. Additionally, my work files consist of shares from 6 different people, who add and update things throughout the day. Using the cloud makes our small company FAR more efficient, and thus gets us a lot more business, because we can move faster and respond to customer's needs faster than our competitors - making us more money.

I have several hundred GBs of data online - mine and shared - and I don't need to download all of it at once, just the stuff I need at any given time. I also have a 128GB SD card in my G4 full of music and media. And several others that I can pop in at will. Best of both worlds...

As I said, most users want - and expect - the kind of seamless experience that I have - they don't want to have to take several hours to set up a new phone, having to find and re-download every app they have on their old phone. And most people don't have to.
    Just a question. Does not Apple offer the same functionality ?
    04-19-16 10:05 PM
    A few hours of manually downloading individual apps vs. 10 minutes for me, only having to click "Restore." See the difference?

With my files on Google, I have access to them from my home PCs, work PCs, phones, tablets, and I can even get to them from a customer's computer - which I do from time to time. Additionally, my work files consist of shares from 6 different people, who add and update things throughout the day. Using the cloud makes our small company FAR more efficient, and thus gets us a lot more business, because we can move faster and respond to customer's needs faster than our competitors - making us more money.

I have several hundred GBs of data online - mine and shared - and I don't need to download all of it at once, just the stuff I need at any given time. I also have a 128GB SD card in my G4 full of music and media. And several others that I can pop in at will. Best of both worlds...

As I said, most users want - and expect - the kind of seamless experience that I have - they don't want to have to take several hours to set up a new phone, having to find and re-download every app they have on their old phone. And most people don't have to.
    It's download time. It takes you the same amount of time to download those apps from Google cloud when you "restore". So please, cut the BS. You are talking to adults.
    It does not take me several hours to set-up the apps.
    It will take you half a day to restore 100Gbyte of data from Google. It takes me 5 seconds to swap the SD card with 128gbyte of data.
    Again, you are talking to adults not to 5-year olds.

The point is that BB10 offers the same speed to set-up and restore a new phone from an old one as Google or Apple.
    And, as has been pointed even on mainstream media, if you want any semblance of privacy, you store NOTHING in the cloud.
    You can keep 1TB of data in your pocket or wallet and it does not even weigh 50g.
    You can swap those SD cards in and out any one of your PC's, laptops, or phones or tablets in seconds, without consuming wireless data, battery, and lots of time, and keeping your data secure.
    But that's your choice to be inefficient, insecure, and kill the environment, not mine.
    Last edited by sorinv; 04-19-16 at 11:43 PM.
    04-19-16 11:32 PM
    It's download time. It takes you the same amount of time to download those apps from Google cloud when you "restore". So please, cut the BS. You are talking to adults.
    It does not take me several hours to set-up the apps.
    It will take you half a day to restore 100Gbyte of data from Google. It takes me 5 seconds to swap the SD card with 128gbyte of data.
    Again, you are talking to adults not to 5-year olds.

The point is that BB10 offers the same speed to set-up and restore a new phone from an old one as Google or Apple.
    And, as has been pointed even on mainstream media, if you want any semblance of privacy, you store NOTHING in the cloud.

Just ask FBI about that, or any Chinese who bought an iphone. They do not enable cloud devices, just like I don't for my Mac.

You can keep 1TB of data in your pocket or wallet and it does not even weigh 50g.
    You can swap those SD cards in and out any one of your PC's, laptops, or phones or tablets in seconds, without consuming wireless data, battery, and lots of time, and keeping your data secure.
    But that's your choice to be inefficient, insecure, and kill the environment, not mine.
    04-19-16 11:47 PM
    This is irrelevant. Let me tell you why.

So 3.5 years ago I bought a Nexus 4. The day I got it, I went ahead and downloaded the apps I knew I'd want. Those apps became part of my daily workflow. After 3 years on the Nexus 4, it was time to upgrade. I bought an LG G4. I popped in my SIM, connected to my WiFi, and logged into my Google account. My phone asked "would you like to Restore?" I clicked "Yes". 10 minutes or so later, with no interaction from me, all of my apps were installed, all of my data was there (except for a single app, which at the time didn't use Google Drive to store data - it does today), and I was ready to go with the same apps, settings, and workflow that I had on my Nexus.

Who CARES about "out of the box" functionality when you can get your own, customized to your exact tastes functionality with apps, which you don't even need to manually set up if you move to another device? That's what you can get with apps and the Android platform, and far more people find that to be far more important than out-of-the-box functionality.
    Same with iphone by the way.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    04-20-16 02:05 AM
    Just a question. Does not Apple offer the same functionality ?
    Yes, it does. It took just a couple of clicks to set up my new iPhone 6s+ with my current iPad Apps and cloud access. It even recovered the Apps I'd had on my 3gs that I stopped using years ago!

It's what modern OS's do... It's called "enhancing the user experience".
    Ronindan and MikeX74 like this.
    04-20-16 02:06 AM
    Yes, it does. It took just a couple of clicks to set up my new iPhone 6s+ with my current iPad Apps and cloud access. It even recovered the Apps I'd had on my 3gs that I stopped using years ago!

It's what modern OS's do... It's called "enhancing the user experience".
    It's the same with BB10, minus the need to use the cloud.
    In my case, it also detected all the apps I deleted three years ago and asked me if I wanted to download them. Same with all my books on Kobo, which are synchronized on all the 4 BlackBerry devices I have.
    That's the only cloud service I use.
    04-20-16 06:39 AM
36 12