My wife an I are being haunted by ghost emails, one apiece. It's bizarre. I've read a lot of threads about old emails appearing, but none that I've seen quite address what we're experiencing.

Me--my Curve 8900 is being haunted by one email, sent to my yahoo.com account from (drumroll) Cingular.com, in 2003. It started appearing in my BB inbox about a month ago; I receive it every other day, roughly. This is the only anomaly I'm dealing with.

My wife--her Bold is also being haunted by a single email, and it's arguably weirder. The email she's receiving (at a similar frequency) is being sent to her BB yahoo.com inbox, and it's a message she originally sent to a third party from an educational email account she had in 2000, no longer in existence. The account in question was closed in 2002; she didn't even get a Blackberry (or similar) until 2008. This single, 10-year old message she sent from a long-defunct account to a colleague is, magically, being sent to her a few times a week. Huh?

Now, I'm aware that it's not uncommon for BB users to re-encounter an email from a week or two ago--corrupted databases, problems with enterprise servers, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't seem to be that sort of problem.

Ideas? I'd love to clear up this spooky situation before Halloween
    Last edited by lokstah; 10-19-10 at 05:31 PM.
    10-19-10 05:28 PM
    You should apply to be on one of those paranormal shows on TV and have them run tests on your devices. It sounds like your BBs are plagued by spirits. Hopefully they aren't demonic.

For real though, have you tried deleting the account from your BIS account and then adding it again?
    10-19-10 05:37 PM
    You should apply to be on one of those paranormal shows on TV and have them run tests on your devices. It sounds like your BBs are plagued by spirits. Hopefully they aren't demonic.

For real though, have you tried deleting the account from your BIS account and then adding it again?
    A brilliant suggestion, given how easy it is. I hadn't thought to do that... but I will. Thanks!

I'll know if it works within a day or so, so expect me to report back. In the meantime, I'm still welcoming other suggestions, so long as they don't involve holy water. I don't want to short anything out.
    10-19-10 05:39 PM
  4. T
    This is eerie. One wonders if the emails we send and receive are being archived in a central repository and if these two you're receiving are coming through due to some glitch.
    10-19-10 05:43 PM
    A brilliant suggestion, given how easy it is. I hadn't thought to do that... but I will. Thanks!

I'll know if it works within a day or so, so expect me to report back. In the meantime, I'm still welcoming other suggestions, so long as they don't involve holy water. I don't want to short anything out.
    Yea definitely post back and let us know if that helps.
    10-19-10 05:44 PM
    This is eerie. One wonders if the emails we send and receive are being archived in a central repository and if these two you're receiving are coming through due to some glitch.
    Indeed. It's as eerie as it is irritating--equal parts both. The one my wife is being haunted by, in particular, is utterly bizarre. There's no reason at all there should be any association between her current email account(s) and that particular message. It's literally a message she sent to a professor from a long-defunct student account many years ago... (shiver).

I could chalk my ghostly, 7-year old Cingular.com email up as a nutty artifact of the post-Cingular/ATT account merge, but hers is the stuff of horror films. Well, nerdy horror films, at least.

?
    10-19-10 05:52 PM
    This isn't the first time I've seen something like this happening in general.... it is however the first time I've seen it on Blackberries. I've read articles estimating that almost 10% of all traffic on the Internet is undelivered emails, rouge packets, and of course spam email bouncing around with nowhere to go.

So, it doesn't surprise me that emails appear out of thin air. Hypothesis: the emails are cached on some old server that isn't administered properly and a recovery process is sending them. Once delivered, the acknowledgement of delivery is never received or lost and the email again queues up again to be sent when the recovery process is run again. Exchange is notorious for sending random emails until they're removed from the mail recovery center.

This didn't help the problem, but I usually find that if I know why, the fact they appear aren't so frustrating. You could also create a filter in BIS to just delete emails from xyz @ abc.com. It doesn't stop them from being received, but you certainly won't see them anymore either.
    10-19-10 06:01 PM
    Thanks, Witzman. You may be onto something. (You're certainly onto a solution, where filtering out those specific emails is concerned).

The evidence which strikes me as telling (telling of what, I'm unclear) is that we're dealing with two different phones, repeatedly receiving two different emails in two different in-boxes, from two different sources. When the two phantom emails originated (2000 and 2003, respectively), my wife and I weren't even married. What's common between them, though, is the ATT account that services both phones via a family plan. Also of note: neither of these emails are appearing in our regular internet inboxes.

I'm not familiar enough with how these systems operate to know, Witzman. Does this additional information make your hypothesis more, or less likely?

Thanks for taking an interest, everyone. PS I need an old priest, and a young priest.
    10-19-10 06:14 PM
    Well, here to report: I deleted my phone's email accounts, waited a while, did a battery pull for good measure, re-established those accounts, and went on with my day.

Sadly, the haunting continues. My ghost proceeded to return with a vengeance, appearing twice in my inbox this evening.

(the power of Christ compels you! the power of Christ compels you!)
    10-20-10 02:04 AM
    Lol, have tried to reply to them and see what happens?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-10 04:21 AM
    Could you post the emails? Blockout sensitive info but show the dates that they were sent (2000). You would think there has to be a reasonable answer for this. It seems the Att service is the only common ground for both of these emails.
    Or is this a Halloween hoax on the op's part? If its the latter, GG...lol

10-20-10 02:15 PM
    is that we're dealing with two different phones, repeatedly receiving two different emails in two different in-boxes, from two different sources. When the two phantom emails originated (2000 and 2003, respectively), my wife and I weren't even married.
    Did the two of you have Blackberry phones back then? It isn't out of the question that email that old is bouncing around on the network. I've witnessed weirder things in the past when computers and servers were involved.

I'm not familiar enough with how these systems operate to know, Witzman. Does this additional information make your hypothesis more, or less likely?
    Considering that the modern mobile communication networks are extremely complex, especially when piggybacking the Internet, I believe I am on the right track. The emails are bouncing around on the mobile network, delivered to your accounts direct to the phone, but since the old emails are defunct, there isn't an acknowledgement of delivery. The email never gets "removed" from the delivery queue. There was a similar problem in my past where an email kept getting bounced between servers because both the sender (typo in reply-to) and recipient (deleted email address) servers said neither of them existed. A non-delivery report was sent, but both servers were set to reject delivery for all NDR's. Worst of all settings was a blank "time to live" so nothing ever killed the process and created an infinite loop. I eventually found it, but not until after the email server was so overloaded I had to take it offline for several hours.

Sorry for the detailed information, I tend to give more detail than is needed sometimes. It's a byproduct of my job.
    10-20-10 06:46 PM
    This is probably one of the more interesting things I've read in a long while, but hey there is good news here. At the VERY least, neither of the emails are from some old lover, lol, now THAT would be creepy!!

Look forward to discovering the resolution. I had something similar happen to me years ago, but it only happened twice then disappeared on it's own.
    10-20-10 06:54 PM
    I have the same problem. It is an email from 2005 from a friend of mine. It comes every few days but never appears on my Yahoo email account on the computer, just on my blackberry. I have gotten it 14 times now. If I reply, he gets the email fine. But who needs email from 2005??!
    12-08-10 03:07 PM
    This is the text of the "haunt email" (after I forward it to myself from my phone- it isn't on the Yahoo computer). This is the exact same problem as the original poster...!
    From March 2005! Fourteen times!

------Original Message------
    To: xxxx
    Subject: Re: hope this is the right address...
    Sent: Mar 1, 2005 3:12 PM

Yes, and thanks! Hope your trip has some pleasures.

On Mar 1, 2005, at 11:46 AM, xxxx wrote:

> happy birthday alan!
    > love, xxx in the charlotte airport
    >
    >
    >
    > ____
    12-08-10 03:15 PM
    It would be more interesting to see the complete RAW Header of those e-mails. Then you can tell where it really comes from.
    12-09-10 07:56 AM
    I see dead emails,they want me to do things for them like reply,forward and delete.you think I am a freak?the email said that you were about to send it and asked it a question,the email said the answer is EVERYDAY.lol

12-09-10 09:52 AM
    I also have the same problem. The email is delete, the sender info is blank and it is only to my yahoo account. I also get the "Welcome to Yahoo!" email just about everyday on my BB - but neither of these emails are in my account online????
    12-10-10 12:56 PM
    Call in the pros--exorcismsRUs.
    12-10-10 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD