I work in the enterprise mobility space and found your comment very interesting. With so many of our customers switching away from BlackBerry...

I know you must be keep your company's identity secret but If you can answer any (or some) of the following I would be grateful.

1. What industry is your company in? Defense
    2. Did your company do some studies to decide what the relative costs were? What is the cost of running an iPhone versus BlackBerry? How much of that cost was related to securing iOS? iOS (at this time) is deemed Un-secureable
    3. What has been the reaction internally? Are employees annoyed that they have to give up their iPhones? People always think that iOS and Android are better than BlackBerry because they "do more". Well when they get locked down to even close to the same level as BlackBerry (since we all know BlackBerry devices are much more locked down than Android or iOS can be), they get annoyed at the IT department for crippling their phone.
    Answers in bold.
    araskin and quik4life like this.
    02-07-12 06:56 AM
    Anyone buying an Apple product these days is not part of the solution...they are part of the problem!
    I'm curious, who is part of the solution? Who's lead should we be following?

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    02-07-12 07:09 AM
    In other news, several of our most secret federal agencies, as well as a large number of corporations where security is job 1, have tested a number of alternative options to BB, executing untested or unverified code on seperately running programs so as to not corrupt the uber secure BB programs they currently run. This heavy reliance on sandboxing allows for these agencies and corporate entities to quickly test these alternatives and see how unreliable these OS' really are.
    02-07-12 07:21 AM
    No one here should argue that Apple changed the smartphone concept. Just as no one anywhere should argue that RIM virtually created the smartphone market. Apple does an amazing job of marketing, easily better than anyone else. Their products are polished, and "pretty" for lack of a better term. They dont worry about things that are flashy or ridiculously customizable (ie Android) or security etc. They make products that simply work one way and that is it.

THAT is the simple reason why the iPhone and iPad have done so well. It just works, appeals to the mass market of those that have no idea how to customize etc, and it looks pretty while doing it.
    02-07-12 07:30 AM
    A corrupt evil company like Halliburton switching to phones made by a another evil company that uses slave labor to make it's products. I think the two were made for each other.
    Well that sounds like a workable formula: Apple can take the business from only the evil companies, while RIM does business with the morally excellent companies. I think every day brings us closer to that reality.
    02-07-12 07:50 AM
    I'm curious, who is part of the solution? Who's lead should we be following?

Good question. YOU are part of the solution. It is YOUR choice to avoid products made in China...when possible. Follow your own lead...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/bu...pagewanted=all
    02-07-12 08:18 AM
    Good question. YOU are part of the solution. It is YOUR choice to avoid products made in China...when possible. Follow your own lead...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/bu...pagewanted=all
    How about Blackberry users? What should they do?

02-07-12 08:22 AM
    How about Blackberry users? What should they do?

Continue to not buy phones made in China.
    02-07-12 08:28 AM
    I was wondering when Q was going to come in and say heavily sandboxed! Lol. If you do a keyword search you have said that over 25 times.
    LOL!!! Really? I can imagine why...it *is* what I do and where I work....when I speak of the secure community, firewalls, FIPS certification, heavily sandboxed projects, (26 times), Good's inefficiency and inadequacy as compared to BES, cost vs gain of going to another platform, managing IT projects, contract awards for wireless fleet, managing BES administrators....it's what I do.

I realise in certain contexts the use of words such as passive/aggressive, troll, diversion are more appropriate....but I choose to stay within the realm of what I know best. I leave the one line zingers to trolls, passive aggressive folks, etc.
    02-07-12 08:29 AM
    Continue to not buy phones made in China.
    There you have a big problem.

Here's an example for you. RIMs supply chain is deeply embedded in china. Everything in the article (and the Bloomberg article it links to) is verifiable.

RIM publish no corporate responsibility report, no supply chain responsibility guidelines, they don't audit their supply chain or have a human rights code of conduct. Only Apple does.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreyc...ur-blackberry/

Where is RIMs transparency? It's coming off as holier than thou hypocrisy.

Not to mention their continued use of conflict minerals.

Last edited by xandermac; 02-07-12 at 08:40 AM.
    02-07-12 08:32 AM
    Do you work in IT. Do you actually know what you're talking about
    No. Yes.

Once RIM understands that "Yes, No" is the old market for technology, and "No, Yes" is the new market, they'll make great strides.

Companies are returning to "Business Decisions" and the dark days of "IT Decisions" are over.
    02-07-12 08:32 AM
    There you have a big problem.

Here's an example for you. RIMs supply chain is deeply embedded in china. Everything in the article (and the Bloomberg article it links to) is verifiable.

RIM publish no corporate responsibility report, no supply chain responsibility guidelines, they don't audit their supply chain or have a human rights code of conduct. Only Apple does.

Do You Know Who Manufactured Your Blackberry? - Forbes

Where is RIMs transparency? It's coming off as holier than thou hypocrisy.

In today's global economy it is almost impossible to buy ANY piece of electronics that does not have Chinese parts. For a variety of reasons I have chosen Blackberry as my communications device...and it is Made in Mexico. Where was your iPhone built?
    02-07-12 08:41 AM
    So what? How does that change the nature of the story? It is Apple news as well since the company is going iOS. It is BB news because it is often believed that enterprise is still a RIM stronghold. That has been less and less true for some time, now. Each passing day brings us more news about how iOS is ascending in enterprise while RIM is descending. That might be important, don't you think?
    There is no nature of the story. People change like this all the time. The UK Police force recently switched to BlackBerry.

This is merely another one of Apple's little minions doing what they are paid to do, and that is to continue the perception that the whole world is Apple crazy...

And this is from me, an Apple user but despises the 'church'. I wouldn't trust my business with Apple. I've tried but it was actually all about me switching to their style of thinking rather than them providing me with tools I needed.

Little stories like "Man enters U.S. customs using scanned image on... yes, an iPad2" serve only to keep the Apple name in the media. The story (which turned out to be false but that was not reported as widely... interestingly) if it were true... would have been about using a scanned image of a passport. Not the equipment by which the scan was displayed.

Same as iPod having their own category separated from mp3 players, which is all they are. Or Sky News in the UK being exclusive to Apple for their tablet app (until soon) was again not a coincidence. Especially given they repeat x number of times an hour that you can download the app "for your iPad". It's all advertising and people don't do it for the love of it. $$$ talks and perception follows.

Which has always made me wonder where they'd be without it.
    undone and ritesh like this.
    02-07-12 08:46 AM
    In today's global economy it is almost impossible to buy ANY piece of electronics that does not have Chinese parts. For a variety of reasons I have chosen Blackberry as my communications device...and it is Made in Mexico. Where was your iPhone built?
    And here are the excuses! Typical Yours was assembled in Mexico. 90% of their supply chain is rooted in china. Along with the internals take a look at all your blackberry accessories. Sorry, it's pure hypocrisy. At least Apple make it clear to me and I can make an informed decision. I'm done discussing this until people finally practice what the preach. Once you insist that RIM provide complete transparency i'll respect your opinion, until then it's meaningless.

Last edited by xandermac; 02-07-12 at 08:51 AM.
    02-07-12 08:46 AM
    And here are the excuses! Typical Yours was assembled in Mexico. 90% of their supply chain is rooted in china. Along with the internals take a look at all your blackberry accessories. Sorry, it's pure hypocrisy. At least Apple make it clear to me and I can make an informed decision. I'm done discussing this until people finally practice what the preach. Once you insist that RIM provide complete transparency i'll respect your opinion, until then it's meaningless.

Click to view quoted image

Excellent! Because it's off topic.
    02-07-12 08:54 AM
    Excellent! Because it's off topic.
    Agreed. Although, merely in response to the person that took it off topic. Feel free to clean it up or chastise everyone.

02-07-12 09:00 AM
    In other news, several of our most secret federal agencies, as well as a large number of corporations where security is job 1, have tested a number of alternative options to BB, executing untested or unverified code on seperately running programs so as to not corrupt the uber secure BB programs they currently run. This heavy reliance on sandboxing allows for these agencies and corporate entities to quickly test these alternatives and see how unreliable these OS' really are.
    I'm sure the NSA knows what they're doing.
    02-07-12 09:28 AM
    Agreed. Although, merely in response to the person that took it off topic. Feel free to clean it up or chastise everyone.

Yes you were simply responding. We'd prefer a report to a continued derailing, but I didn't intend my post to sight you as the guilty party.
    02-07-12 09:37 AM
    References to Halliburton's (bad) reputation are naturally sprinkled throughout this thread. Linking their reputation and the recent news about labor practices in Apple assembly plants in China should have been expected and accepted. These two companies belong in bed together. 'Nuf said.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-07-12 09:45 AM
    References to Halliburton's (bad) reputation are naturally sprinkled throughout this thread. Linking their reputation and the recent news about labor practices in Apple assembly plants in China should have been expected and accepted. These two companies belong in bed together. 'Nuf said.
    I can see it now. "We don't want customers like THAT."

RIM might want to check the customer list to see what other customers like THAT may take offense to that revisionist posturing.
    02-07-12 09:55 AM
    When you buy Chinese, you're not really giving your money "to China." You're giving it to American and other multinational corporations. The American free-traitors set up shop in China, Mexico, and other offshore locations so they could pay almost nothing (compared to US rates) for labor. They also connived trade agreements (NAFTA, CAFTA, MFN for China, etc.) so they could import tax free and line their pockets even more.

I used to sweat the China stuff (human rights, working conditions, etc.), but I no longer do. In America, we had a revolution when conditions under the monarch became too oppressive. What's wrong with a billion Chinese that they can't take up arms against their oppressors?
    02-07-12 10:00 AM
    You know. I can really care less about 4500 devices getting switched over (OVER 2 YEARS even!), really...this is news? What do the 65500 other employees use? Oh that's right this is probably just management....

A more compelling DOOM would be what the back end IT department is using to manage said devices. Maybe they are able to use the new BES that manages any crazy a$$ device that management THINKS they need to do there jobs.

Users are their own worse enemy, especially the ones that think they know better.
    02-07-12 10:13 AM
    You folks find it impossible to stay on topic.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-07-12 10:15 AM
98 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD