02-06-12 03:10 PM
    Where is the reporting when RIM signs on a new client? Why is it only reported when they lose one?
    houshinto#IM, CDM76 and sk8er_tor like this.
    02-06-12 03:26 PM
    Of course reported by Apple Insider, a fully unbiased news source.
    cntrydncr223 and sk8er_tor like this.
    02-06-12 03:33 PM
    So what? How does that change the nature of the story? It is Apple news as well since the company is going iOS. It is BB news because it is often believed that enterprise is still a RIM stronghold. That has been less and less true for some time, now. Each passing day brings us more news about how iOS is ascending in enterprise while RIM is descending. That might be important, don't you think?
    02-06-12 03:38 PM
    If the story is true what does it matter the source.
    Mikey_T, jntrup and morfy50 like this.
    02-06-12 03:39 PM
    Always doom and gloom.

I love RIM baby!!

Whooooooo yeah!
    CDM76, sk8er_tor and swiftex like this.
    02-06-12 03:48 PM
    Here's one, a tone that doesn't favor a particular manufacturer:

Ricoh Gives Some Employees More Mobile Freedom

Excerpt:

"At the more liberal end of the spectrum, the copier maker provides its salespeople with a stipend they can use to purchase any brand of device. Administrative personnel can also choose their own devices, but have to purchase it themselves. At the most restrictive end of the spectrum, the company still assigns mobile devices to field service personnel, but even here, has plans to expand its fleet of devices to include more popular devices like iPhones and Google Android-based phones."
    02-06-12 03:58 PM
    If the story is true what does it matter the source.
    Do we know it to be true because someone printed it?
    02-06-12 03:59 PM
    It happened, or it didn't. Regardless of whether it was reported in "Canadian Protectionism Monthly" or "Offshore.com".
    02-06-12 04:00 PM
    The article states that they were satisfied with Apple's security. Really ?????

I really hope some sort of security breach happens to some enterprise user with an iPhone to prove Thor right that when that happens, corporations will come back to BB in full force.
    02-06-12 04:03 PM
    We do not know it to be false because of who printed it.

Here is some other coverage. Really, if the only defense is "Look at the source!", that's not much of a defense for items easily verified. "It doesn't matter" is a better defense.

TFTS
    02-06-12 04:03 PM
    "Denial is perhaps the greatest of all human conditions."

- The Architect -
    bunky1971 and Mikey_T like this.
    02-06-12 04:04 PM
    I LOL'd at this part

"As such, Halliburton is looking to iOS devices to provide employees with secure access to many of its internal applications from outside the company's network, exclusively through their iPhones."
    02-06-12 04:05 PM
    This reminds of an old saying about Elvis fans who think he's still alive. As the saying goes, they won't believe he's dead until he tells them himself.

Ultimately, if the story is untrue, then Halliburton and/or RIM will deny it. At this point, neither has occurred.
    02-06-12 04:09 PM
    From the TFTS article:

Naturally this is a huge blow to RIM, who might well see other enterprise users follow suit, and considering that Blackberry’s biggest presence is among corporate users, poses a serious problem to RIM’s long-term health as an organization.

Read: Halliburton Dumps Blackberry For Apple | TFTS
    I mistakenly thought this might be of interest as it seems to represent a trend rather than an isolated event. I also thought the timing of the story was interesting since we are all anticipating the advent of 2.0 and BB10. It seems the enterprise sector is not as interested in waiting for the new hotness from RIM. I would expect RIM to be proactively selling RIM strongholds on the upcoming products. Either they are and it just doesn't matter, or they aren't and need to get on the ball.

Since this is not of interest to anyone, however, we can all just stick our fingers in our ears and repeat the mantra of how much we love our BB/PB.
    02-06-12 04:15 PM
    I doubt the source makes it false in this instance. Halliburton is a grossly corrupt and scary company on a side note.
    JasW likes this.
    02-06-12 04:17 PM
    From the TFTS article:

I mistakenly thought this might be of interest as it seems to represent a trend rather than an isolated event. I also thought the timing of the story was interesting since we are all anticipating the advent of 2.0 and BB10. It seems the enterprise sector is not as interested in waiting for the new hotness from RIM. I would expect RIM to be proactively selling RIM strongholds on the upcoming products. Either they are and it just doesn't matter, or they aren't and need to get on the ball.

Since this is not of interest to anyone, however, we can all just stick our fingers in our ears and repeat the mantra of how much we love our BB/PB.
    I'm not sure this means the enterprise sector is not interested in waiting for the new "hotness" from RIM. I don't know if the enterprise sector thinks as one and if they did whether or not it is "hotness" that they collectively long for. Other than that odd interpretation I do believe the article.
    02-06-12 04:21 PM
    Halliburton dumping BlackBerry, switching to iOS | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

"Over the next year, we will begin expanding the use of our mobile technology by transitioning from the BlackBerry (RIM) platform that we currently use to smartphone technology via the iPhone," the company said. Halliburton representatives confirmed to AppleInsider that only 4500 of the company's 70,000 employees still use BlackBerry devices, so the transition probably won't take as long as it might have a few years ago.

According to AppleInsider's sources, Halliburton actively engaged with Apple in its transition. Halliburton is far from the first company to do so; Clorox ditched the BlackBerry last year, and 92 percent of its employees replaced it with an iPhone.
    02-06-12 04:24 PM
    OP always that RIM supporter.
    02-06-12 04:25 PM
    So what? How does that change the nature of the story? It is Apple news as well since the company is going iOS. It is BB news because it is often believed that enterprise is still a RIM stronghold. That has been less and less true for some time, now. Each passing day brings us more news about how iOS is ascending in enterprise while RIM is descending. That might be important, don't you think?
    Actually, the source doesn't change anything. Apple is doing a great job of strengthening the security of iPhones. But I'm learning to look for ways to deflate the panic every time some news sources reports that some company other than RIM is doing better, probably at the expense of RIM. RIM isn't disappearing overnight, it does have a chance to regain marketshare, RIM's rising from the ashes won't be overnight, either. And the one true constant is that things change.
    02-06-12 04:31 PM
    OP always that RIM supporter.
    Hello, old friend. I am frankly surprised to be the first to mention this. I expected to see Kevin write about it with a bit of CB spin/perspective. It is news, and it is important. Why leave it to the likes of me to frame the issue? Like it or not, this is what people see and know about RIM. If the supporters have nothing to say about it, this is how the conversation will go. Don't shoot the messenger.
    Mikey_T likes this.
    02-06-12 04:32 PM
    I LOL'd at this part

"As such, Halliburton is looking to iOS devices to provide employees with secure access to many of its internal applications from outside the company's network, exclusively through their iPhones."
    Don't LOL too hard. There are some very impressive niche market apps (with prices to match) on iOS that no one is porting to other platforms. Particularly in the medical field.
    02-06-12 04:36 PM
    It seems the enterprise sector is not as interested in waiting for the new hotness from RIM. I would expect RIM to be proactively selling RIM strongholds on the upcoming products. Either they are and it just doesn't matter, or they aren't and need to get on the ball.
    I hope I didn't sound like a doubter. But, with no further comment to stir conversation, it seemed too much like a growing list of "chicken little" threads driven by FUD. Frankly, I'd be surprised if I didn't see RIM leaking some of their corporate customers. There have been OS6, OS7 devices -- both released with a shortage of apps and stability, plus little or no backward compatibility. BB10 is promised for late this year, but there's only the Playbook to hint at what features might be included and what apps might be available. And no guarantee that BB10 will be any more stable than OS6 or OS7 and requiring new phones to handle the OS.

When you compare iOS, there's a whole different picture. Each iteration of the OS is backward compatible several generations of hardware. Most of the apps don't lose compatibility. Security is improving for iOS. There are more heavy duty niche market developers for iOS -- if you want specialized apps, that's more likely on iOS than the other platforms.

Corporate users will be happier. There's greater familiarity, via friends, family or personal use. The corporate bean counters will be happier. No need to replace phones every time there's a new OS.

Having said all that, I still don't believe the sky is falling....yet. But the new management at RIM needs to get its act together.
    02-06-12 05:02 PM
    Having said all that, I still don't believe the sky is falling....yet. But the new management at RIM needs to get its act together.
    I have no idea what the signs are that the sky is falling. Not so long ago, I would have said it was when the enterprise started dumping BB for another platform, or when all competitors produced a tablet with better email and PIM than RIM, or when countries like Indonesia prefer Android. Who knows? But it does concern me that, as we see these things cold-day-in-He!! type events happening one by one, the RIM fan community manages to convince itself that none of these things are important.

So, whenever the sky does completely fall, the fan base still will not admit it or recognize the event. They will step over fallen pieces of sky while blaming the litter on media bias.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    02-06-12 05:16 PM
    I have no idea what the signs are that the sky is falling. Not so long ago, I would have said it was when the enterprise started dumping BB for another platform, or when all competitors produced a tablet with better email and PIM than RIM, or when countries like Indonesia prefer Android. Who knows? But it does concern me that, as we see these things cold-day-in-He!! type events happening one by one, the RIM fan community manages to convince itself that none of these things are important.

So, whenever the sky does completely fall, the fan base still will not admit it or recognize the event. They will step over fallen pieces of sky while blaming the litter on media bias.
    Bravo! ! !
    02-06-12 05:19 PM
98 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD