and these are two questiosn that seem to get posted a lot but there's not a clear answer

1. If I had a sync (not a backup; on Blackberry Desktop v6, which I don't see an option for manual backup) could I restore my contacts or see them somehow? I searched my entire computer for an *.ipd file but can't find it. I had lookout mobile watch installed but it seems it didn't backup a lot of the contacts

2. What if I don't know my pin? Is there a place I could get this? ATT didn't seem to retain that information and I need it for when I call RIM to deactivate my phone

3. God damn cabbies lol!
    07-12-11 03:41 AM
    and these are two questiosn that seem to get posted a lot but there's not a clear answer

1. If I had a sync (not a backup; on Blackberry Desktop v6, which I don't see an option for manual backup) could I restore my contacts or see them somehow? I searched my entire computer for an *.ipd file but can't find it. I had lookout mobile watch installed but it seems it didn't backup a lot of the contacts
    If you did not do a backup and just did a sync, you will not be able to get your contacts unless you have those saved in Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, etc. I have not used Lookout Mobile Watch, so I do not know how it backs up. BlackBerry Protect does back up contacts, but it does not sound like you used it.

2. What if I don't know my pin? Is there a place I could get this? ATT didn't seem to retain that information and I need it for when I call RIM to deactivate my phone
    Go here Your PIN will be shown on your account page.

3. God damn cabbies lol!
    Sorry to hear.
    07-12-11 03:53 AM
  3. T
    It depends on how your sync is configured. I use DM and have contacts, calendar, memos, and tasks set up to sync one way from device to desktop. The contacts get saved to outlook express, and the other items are saved in .csv files of some sort.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-11 09:24 AM
    If you did not do a backup and just did a sync, you will not be able to get your contacts unless you have those saved in Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, etc. I have not used Lookout Mobile Watch, so I do not know how it backs up. BlackBerry Protect does back up contacts, but it does not sound like you used it.
    In order to sync, don't you have to sync to something (e.g Outlook).
    07-12-11 09:32 AM
    thanks for the kind replies everyone. this has to be one of the most mannered forums on the internet. this entire month blew to say the least. so a few things

1. I thought I'd check my att wireless page too, but I didn't see it, and I have a new phone that shows up instead. Can someone check under what section (my att->billing or wireless) their pin shows up, IF it shows up?

2. Since I guess there's no way to get the pin without the phone from a backup...Is there anyway to get my pin from say a router I've connected to?

3. So I had desktop 5 and I backed up, then upgraded to 6. I wonder if it resulted in my backup being deleted somehow ;( Or was the IPD format tossed out a while ago?
    07-12-11 09:53 AM
    If for some reason you still have the box your BB came in, then your PIN would also be on the box...
    07-12-11 09:59 AM

3. God damn cabbies lol!

Answers:
    1. If the phone was synced, then the contacts would be available through the whatever application the data was synced with.

2. Even if you knew the PIN, your carrier is the one that needs to contact RIM to have the device blocked on the network.

3. Cabbies are not responsible for your loss. Jokingly or not the responsibility is yours.
    07-12-11 12:31 PM
    thanks for the kind replies everyone. this has to be one of the most mannered forums on the internet. this entire month blew to say the least. so a few things

1. I thought I'd check my att wireless page too, but I didn't see it, and I have a new phone that shows up instead. Can someone check under what section (my att->billing or wireless) their pin shows up, IF it shows up?

2. Since I guess there's no way to get the pin without the phone from a backup...Is there anyway to get my pin from say a router I've connected to?

3. So I had desktop 5 and I backed up, then upgraded to 6. I wonder if it resulted in my backup being deleted somehow ;( Or was the IPD format tossed out a while ago?
    Sounds like you have a backup but have not synced your data to desktop PIM software. If you want to know what to search for on your PC, try backing up your new BB device. Do you backup your hard drive?

You won't get the PIN from a router. You might be able to get it from a BIS web page but you won't get it from the att billing page.

With you new BB, you might want to setup Blackberry Protect.
    07-12-11 01:55 PM
    Another testimony why BlackBerry Protect is cheap insurance towards a potential handset and/or data loss.

Sad that it has to be this painful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-11 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD