What if RIM or a phone company in general allowed you to customize your device before you buy it, like dell laptops for instance, so you would get a base price, and if you wanted to upgrade to a high end screen, or keep the trackball instead of trackpad, or add wifi or pay for more memory. I think this would be a great and cost effective way to do something different. You could also throw colors in the mix
    Last edited by brdl04; 03-23-10 at 01:37 PM.
    03-23-10 01:35 PM
    I like that idea
    03-23-10 01:36 PM
    Sounds interesting. So who's gonna be the first company in to do it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-10 01:37 PM
    Sounds interesting. So who's gonna be the first company in to do it?

I think because RIM has so many different models, they should do it.
    03-23-10 01:38 PM
    Won't happen, do you have any idea how hard it would be to keep track of all that for software developers? RIM might have a few models out there but they all follow a common thread in their own device lines. This would just make it impossible to develop software for the platform.
    03-23-10 01:54 PM
    Won't happen, do you have any idea how hard it would be to keep track of all that for software developers? RIM might have a few models out there but they all follow a common thread in their own device lines. This would just make it impossible to develop software for the platform.
    How does computer OS's differ then?

It doesn't seem to be a problem.
    03-23-10 01:57 PM
    It won't happen because it's simply not cost effective compared to mass producing only a handful of different smartphones and letting consumers pick which out of all of them is the right one for them.

If RIM were to offer a service like this, expect to pay premium...

03-23-10 02:04 PM
    How does computer OS's differ then?

It doesn't seem to be a problem.
    It differs because there are API's built to handle it that are far more mature than on any smartphone. These things are really limited in terms of computing power so a lot of stuff is tailored directly to the capabilities of the platform they reside on.
    03-23-10 02:07 PM
    Colorware!! And you basically have all those choices now with the line of Blackberry smartphones. RIM does have more than one model of Blackberry.
    03-23-10 02:11 PM
    Colorware!! And you basically have all those choices now with the line of Blackberry smartphones. RIM does have more than one model of Blackberry.
    Agreed, Colorware is pretty good at customizing already, plus there still are blackberries with trackballs out there, just not as new.
    03-23-10 02:40 PM
    If I may augment the idea. I would like to be able to buy a device that didn't have an operating system preloaded and have choices of what OS I wanted to put on it. For example, I could buy an HTC device and pay fir the webos software to go on it. That way, if that OS doesn't work for me, it I want to try something different, I can keep the same device, but get a different OS.

03-23-10 02:45 PM
    if i may augment the idea. I would like to be able to buy a device that didn't have an operating system preloaded and have choices of what os i wanted to put on it. For example, i could buy an htc device and pay fir the webos software to go on it. That way, if that os doesn't work for me, it i want to try something different, i can keep the same device, but get a different os.

Posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    but this would mess with the functionality of the device itself. The hardware would have to change along with whatever platform was being installed. Bb software will not run on a pre or hero. The hardware ie processors and such will not allow this.
    03-23-10 04:30 PM
    Why not have a standard that all platforms and devices have to meet? Regulations? Besides, this is just an idea. A dream really.

03-23-10 05:37 PM
    Why not have a standard that all platforms and devices have to meet? Regulations? Besides, this is just an idea. A dream really.

Before the gov't starts telling phone companies how to build their phones, maybe they could first tell them to stop locking the devices to specific carriers?? Or at least unlocking the phones once the subsidy is over.
    03-23-10 05:43 PM
    Before the gov't starts telling phone companies how to build their phones, maybe they could first tell them to stop locking the devices to specific carriers?? Or at least unlocking the phones once the subsidy is over.
    Or that. I would be on board for unlocking the phones after a year or so.

03-23-10 05:48 PM
    At the very least, I would like to see RIM offer as you guys have said, Colorware options. It would be nice to be able to pick your phones color, without having to spend a lot of money on a custom housing.
    03-23-10 06:13 PM
    At the very least, I would like to see RIM offer as you guys have said, Colorware options. It would be nice to be able to pick your phones color, without having to spend a lot of money on a custom housing.
    It would be nice, but I wouldn't take advantage of it I would always choose black or grey. Just my flavor.

03-23-10 06:19 PM
    What this guy said.

Do you have any idea how incredibly expensive that'd be. We're talking blackberries or any cell for that matter is manufactured on a tremendous scale. To customize each one is time and money. Not worth it for the company.
    03-23-10 07:36 PM
    It's not the manufacturer that wants it locked to the carrier. It's the carriers that want them locked. And there is a reason for it.
    03-23-10 07:38 PM
    I would also like to add to this dream, and please remember folks, this is a dream. We all realize it will never happen. Chrissakes, RIM can't even pull a decent web browser out of their hineys so we all know customizing anything is an impossible task here. However, I would love the option to load the guts of any phone into the housing of my choice. Like my avatar, or the guts of a 9700 into the body of a 9000 with a trackpad. Or the innards of a 9700 into a 7290 old blue also with a trackpad. Mm mm mm

03-23-10 08:42 PM
    It's always fun to dream.
    03-23-10 08:43 PM
    It's always fun to dream.
    When I dream, I don't dream about Blackberrys.

Well, unless that's code for some sort of new sexual position..
    03-23-10 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD