I was recently released from my job as an inappropriate picture was sent from my BB. Around July and August, my phone was lost for one morning, but the building security found it in a conference room where we had looked high and low. Since then, I have regularly shared with company HR that I felt my phone number is being shared on some perve website, as I get weird texts, while I also get weird calls. During this time, I have also made complaints about people at work for work related performance - one of them being our IT guy!!!! How can I tell if my cell phone was hacked and someone else sent texts and or a picture? What do I look for? Is there a date associated with when an app could have been loaded when I do find one? I need help, as I have angered people at work in trying to change our culture and accountability, and it was met with open hostility, and now this happens and I am gone......I know nothing about these apps, cell phone hacking, etc. Can someone take a moment to share on a subject I am completely ignorant!!
    12-18-12 10:44 PM
    So you were fired because an inappropriate picture was sent from your phone? And was it you who sent it, or this "hacker"?

There are lots of ways to accomplish that, either with or without "hacking" your device.

Now i don't know the details of this case, but overall I gotta say, that unless you're posting this because you're about to engage in a million dollar lawsuit against that company for wrongful termination, you'd probably do best to leave the matter be.

Chasing hackers, whether real or imaginary, is detrimental to your sanity and happiness in the longer run. Lets imagine that you find out that you WERE hacked and one of your enemies pushed you out of the company that way. What are you going to do with that information, beside use it to get increasingly bitter and paranoid? Leave it man...
    12-18-12 10:56 PM
    ^^
    What he said.
    12-18-12 10:58 PM
    I do understand your frustration and desperation, when trying to clear your name on something you did not do. However, the picture was sent from your phone. There is no way to tell whether it was you or somebody else. It's YOUR phone, from YOUR phone number, from YOUR email address. Best you could do is just stand firm that you were hacked. I'm very surprised that when you lost your phone, the so-called hacker could have gained access into your phone. Surely you should have felt the need to password lock your device. Example, my device is passcode locked and is set to wipe itself after 3 failed attempts.

Anyway, I don't think there's much you can do now except to accept that it was a bad turn of events, and stand firm that it was not done by you.
    12-18-12 11:02 PM
    If this happened to me, I'd want some answers. I would first try to find out the time these pictures were sent. Then, try to remember where the phone was at that time. If the phone was lost, there is a good chance that someone just manually did it and there was no "hacking" but just negligence on your part that your phone was unlocked for someone to do this.

Now if I knew that the phone should have been in a safe place/locked around that time, then I would go in my Options, list every app that I have installed. Remove any RIM developed apps, remove any popular apps that is developed by a big name developer (e.g. things like WhatsApp or ScoreMobile) and see which apps remain. Now remove any apps that doesn't have the permissions required to access your pics and send them via emails (the permissions that apps have on your BB are listed in the same options).

Hopefully this pin points an app or two that could be responsible for the "hack" if unsure, try to see their ratings and use logic to see if these apps/their developers could be trusted.

Now, if none of that app related thing works, it's more than likely that you left your phone unlocked and someone just did it manually without any special apps.

Good luck and your phone was NOT hacked. If anything, YOU installed something without checking the trust level AND you gave it the permissions required to do this!

EDIT: An app being responsible is quite unlikely as you're using a BB but it is always possible that such an app actually managed to get past RIM's check.
    12-19-12 01:40 AM
    That moment when you realize the importance of password locking your phone.

Does your company have any cctv cameras? That could help find who did it.
    12-19-12 02:58 AM
    Yes. Do go to the company that fired you, and demand to see their CCTV footage from three months ago. That's an awesome idea.

The only way it can get any better, is if he reads up on conspiracy theories before he goes, and makes sure to reference them in detail to everybody he sees there.

Also, try to look a little disheveled while you're there. That way they know for sure you're not just making this up!
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    12-19-12 04:32 AM
    It's not hacking if someone picked it up and sent out your phone number. I understand your frustration however. But like Google incognito mode says "Going incognito doesn't prevent people standing behind you from seeing what you're doing"...or something along those lines

Also yes, if it's a BlackBerry for work you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not having it password locked.
    12-19-12 10:47 AM
    Also yes, if it's a BlackBerry for work you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not having it password locked.
    Even if an organization uses BES for nothing else, the device password policy enforcement is worth is price of admission. Of course if you store incriminating pictures on the unencrypted microSD media card well you are living dangerously. Did the OP forget to security wipe his employer-issued BlackBerry smartphone?
    12-19-12 11:58 AM