I don't know where I stand on this. I myself get quite annoyed when people use their cell phones in cramped or should-be-somewhat-quiet locations. Once, I had someone answer their cell phone in a library at university and had a conversation with someone. I so desperately wanted to tell her to shut up or at least go outside the library (as the signs say, which are in more than one location, so it's not like she couldn't see them); but anyway, I digress.

On a bus - a place from which you can't get away - I think you should still be "allowed" to use your phone; but perhaps in a more courteous way. If you're gonna talk about something really personal (and besides, if it's personal, maybe you wouldn't want strangers to hear it, anyway?), maybe you could tell them to call you back; or maybe resort to texting. It is kind of annoying to hear people gab about stuff that is really none of your business, but you're forced to hear it. Someone on here said it's very similar to listening to 2-way conversations in public (face-to-face); which I agree with. But both annoy me. I'm not saying I want total silence on buses or restaurants or anything like that; but at least have some discretion when it comes to the subject matter. And besides, texting is silent and you can say anything without people knowing or hearing!
    03-07-12 06:07 PM
    Some ppl talks very pleasantly while talking on phones in public. They keep their conversations short, speak with warm and not annoying voice level. But its like 5-10 out of 100. Young ppl really can avoid long conversation about the last party, friends relationship problems or their sexual life. When ppl are in normal mood they wouldn't even care; but after 10-12 hrs of school/work, things like that can be really really distracting.
    03-07-12 06:50 PM
    I heard in Japan, talking on the phone in the bus or public transport is considered rude... and its strongly discouraged

- Charles
    06-07-12 03:31 AM
    It is kind of silly when a proprietor of a restaurant has a sign asking customers to refrain from using cell phones yet he himself is fielding all kinds of landline calls (taking orders, reservations, etc.).
    It would be unusual for the proprietor to be sitting at the table next to you while you're having dinner.
    06-07-12 06:10 AM
    He should have used the Cone of Silence.
    06-07-12 06:21 AM
    Kenny Tarmack. Bob and Tom.
    06-07-12 07:49 AM
    If he wanted peace and quiet, he could have invested in a pair of noise cancelling or noise isolating headphones instead of trying to force it on other people.
    06-07-12 10:56 AM
    He should have used the Cone of Silence.
    This is a giant pile of win right here.
    06-07-12 11:03 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD