The only thing is though that BlackBerry has them act like widgets when minimized so that's why people want to be able to pin them. Excel in a minimized state doesn't display any quick/convenient/relevant information. However, the only problem is with the increased use of Android apps and the lack of native apps, active frames are becoming less and less useful since most apps don't even utilize the concept. Even a lot of native apps don't have an active frame.
    That's because a minimized Excel window is usually displayed on a screen of at least 13" and is used with a mouse or trackpad and therefore content remains readable and easily actionable. This can't be done with a smartphone app on a 5" screen that's used with a finger. Therefore the content has to be visually adapted when the app is minimized, which is exactly what Active Frames do. Widgets instead are more of standalone mini apps that get placed specificly and permanently, whereas the multitasking pane in BB10 is meant to show what you actually do temporarily. But obviously this was the wrong approach right from the beginning.
    05-09-14 09:28 AM
    That's because a minimized Excel window is usually displayed on a screen of at least 13" and is used with a mouse or trackpad and therefore content remains readable and easily actionable. This can't be done with a smartphone app on a 5" screen that's used with a finger. Therefore the content has to be visually adapted when the app is minimized, which is exactly what Active Frames do. Widgets instead are more of standalone mini apps that get placed specificly and permanently, whereas the multitasking pane in BB10 is meant to show what you actually do temporarily. But obviously this was the wrong approach right from the beginning.
    I personally think it is the wrong approach. I'll do a comparison of widgets, active frames, and live tiles. Widgets feel awkward and redundant. They don't feel right in the OS since they're just kind of slapped on there and plus you have the widget and then the app icon. Active frames feel much cleaner, but they're not customizable and you always need the app running for them to be useful, and a lot of apps can't or won't use the active frame. Live tiles I think get it right. They're not redundant as the tile IS the app icon, they look clean and are part of the UI, and they're customizable.

I know the active frames are also used for multitasking, but BlackBerry's combo of a multitasking window and a widget/tile seems awkward. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    05-09-14 09:37 AM
    I want the phone app to close on it's own after I have opened it up to place a call, and the call is terminated.
    flyingsolid and MichealBerry like this.
    05-09-14 10:05 AM
    I know the active frames are also used for multitasking, but BlackBerry's combo...
    Well that assumption of yours leads us straight to the point :-)

Active Frames are not also for multitasking, but solely for multitasking and there is no combo.

The problem is that people right from beginning misunderstood them as widgets that aren't interactive and you cannot pin. Obviously BlackBerry didn't thought this might happen, hell I mean even CrackBerry Kevin wants to pin Active Frames.

As for Windows Phone, that's basically Android. On top you have a customizable homescreen and underneath (in Windows Phone via a left swipe, in Android via the menu button) are all apps via icons. I have to say that I personally don't like this idea of a permanent set up homescreen at all. What you see when you access your task switcher on Windows Phone or Android (via a long or double press of the home button in Windows Phone), that's the homescreen in BB10. It's just that if you're let's say a heavy Twitter or Facebook user who accesses the app continously throughout the day, you'll likely want to leave it open permanently and in this case the AF shows you up to date info or at least gives you a very quick access. But also this way it's in line with the concept as you just leave the app temporarily to access is it again shortly after.
    05-09-14 11:02 AM
    Well that assumption of yours leads us straight to the point :-)

Active Frames are not also for multitasking, but solely for multitasking and there is no combo.

The problem is that people right from beginning misunderstood them as widgets that aren't interactive and you cannot pin. Obviously BlackBerry didn't thought this might happen, hell I mean even CrackBerry Kevin wants to pin Active Frames.

As for Windows Phone, that's basically Android. On top you have a customizable homescreen and underneath (in Windows Phone via a left swipe, in Android via the menu button) are all apps via icons. I have to say that I personally don't like this idea of a permanent set up homescreen at all. What you see when you access your task switcher on Windows Phone or Android (via a long or double press of the home button in Windows Phone), that's the homescreen in BB10. It's just that if you're let's say a heavy Twitter or Facebook user who accesses the app continously throughout the day, you'll likely want to leave it open permanently and in this case the AF shows you up to date info or at least gives you a very quick access. But also this way it's in line with the concept as you just leave the app temporarily to access is it again shortly after.
    Well obviously BlackBerry meant them for MORE than just multitasking because they're called "Active" frames because they're actively displaying relevant information in a widget-like fashion. If they meant them to be just for multitasking, they wouldn't have added that and they would have been just minimized windows (which most are, anyway, as a lot of devs don't utilize the active frame).

As far as Windows Phones, those aren't really your app icons like Android, it's more of an app list...kind of like Programs and Features in full blown Windows.
    05-09-14 11:07 AM
    Better speakers!!!!!!!! Speakerphone on Z10 is....well......just can't hardly hear it. maybe an equalizer!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 11:42 AM
    Ability to share BlackBerry Express presentations!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 11:43 AM
    Updated DocsToGo application!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 11:45 AM
    I like active frames as they are. Nice way to display what is running without burying it under some sub menu you have to dig through. Easy way to minimize an app without 'forgetting about it". Works well to pause/minimize the app I might be in when I want to flick over to some sort of communication that might be coming in.
    Docking an app (widget) to continually run should be handled in a different fashion and parked either at the top or bottom toolbar areas. At least that's how I would handle it.
    05-09-14 12:14 PM
    How is a true DLNA is different than current DLNA in Z10 for example?
    True DLNA is Server & Client. At the moment the Z10 is only a Server. Generally speaking, and I am no expert, the Z10 is a server and can serve files (music, videos, photos) to your smart TV, smart Blu Ray player, etc. The client which the Z10 is not, can see and play all these files on you home network or any other DLNA servers on your home network such as PC, laptop, tablet, etc. There are many apps available that allows this, one app that comes to mind is Google Play Music which is able to see and play music file on your home network.
    05-09-14 04:22 PM
    Having the date visible on the homescreen or at least when we swipe up to preview hub.

Have the time change to the date at the same time as the battery level indicator changes to a percentage number when we swipe up.
    05-09-14 04:42 PM
    Has anyone said coffee maker?
    Yes, do you not read the forums?

Oh nevermind, it was toffee baker, my bad!
    05-09-14 04:45 PM
    When we want to send a picture their will be an "album view" just like in the pictures app.
    05-09-14 05:22 PM
    I guessed rearranging active frames in post #24 and its has been confirmed.
    What do I win?
    05-09-14 07:58 PM
    If you win, so do I. It looks like the ability to pin active frames will be included.

Posted using my amazing and intelligent Z10
    05-10-14 06:30 AM
    I want the phone app to close on it's own after I have opened it up to place a call, and the call is terminated.
    +1. Hate the active frame for the phone app. The icon is there already.
    05-10-14 07:14 AM
    The bbm active frame sucks.. at least show me the contact who I'm talking to not my ex gf. Pisses my new gf off that my screen keeps showing her face

Posted via a mess called CB10
    05-10-14 08:00 AM
    The bbm active frame sucks.. at least show me the contact who I'm talking to not my ex gf. Pisses my new gf off that my screen keeps showing her face

Posted via a mess called CB10
    Delete your ex gf then? Smh

Zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    menshawy likes this.
    05-10-14 08:28 AM
    True DLNA is Server & Client. At the moment the Z10 is only a Server. Generally speaking, and I am no expert, the Z10 is a server and can serve files (music, videos, photos) to your smart TV, smart Blu Ray player, etc. The client which the Z10 is not, can see and play all these files on you home network or any other DLNA servers on your home network such as PC, laptop, tablet, etc. There are many apps available that allows this, one app that comes to mind is Google Play Music which is able to see and play music file on your home network.
    Is there's actually other phones that work both ways?
    05-12-14 05:28 AM
    TAT are gone
    TAT is not really gone, it's name is actually BlackBerry Sweden and many staff are leftover from the TAT days.

So you could still say TAT. LOL

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 02:52 PM
    Equalizer for media player....

Posted via CB10
    This is coming in 10.3
    05-12-14 04:17 PM
    TAT is not really gone, it's name is actually BlackBerry Sweden and many staff are leftover from the TAT days.

So you could still say TAT. LOL

Posted via CB10
    The main people from TAT left and started a new company. I forgot the name of it but the people that mattered are more or less gone. Not many are left over.
    menshawy likes this.
    05-12-14 04:18 PM
    Delete your ex gf then? Smh

She's also a colleague so cannot do.. Why can't bbm just show the profile picture of the person I'm in conversation with instead lol?
    Last edited by Bdot-1; 05-12-14 at 07:29 PM.
    05-12-14 07:11 PM
    She's also a colleague so cannot do.. Why can't bbm just show the profile picture of the person I'm in conversation with instead lol?
    Umm then have a discussion with your current gf lol Smh sounds like much ado about nothing

05-12-14 07:36 PM
    Is there's actually other phones that work both ways?
    Almost all other phones and have been for a few years.
    05-13-14 09:27 AM
102 ... 2345