I got the below from Blackberry.com. WHat exactly does it mean??

Thanks!

UMA/GAN

UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access), sometimes referred to as GAN (Generic Access Network), provides carrier services (GSM�/GPRS/EDGE) over unlicensed networks such as Wi-Fi. It allows smartphones that are Wi-Fi capable to make GSM phone calls over Wi-Fi networks.
    12-31-09 04:49 AM
    its pretty self explanatory. it means if you have a UMA enabled device, such as the 8900 or the Bold 9700, and have a provider that offers UMA service like T-mobile and Rogers, you can do exactly what the thing says.....make phone calls over a wifi network.

it uses wifi to make the call, not the GSM network. calls can be handed off somewhat seamlessly between the two networks. it offers you a strong, "at home" wifi signal where you may have a weaker mobile network. most carriers let you do it and charge out of your regular bucket of monthly minutes. other options, carrier dependent, charge you an extra fee per month to make the calls unlimited as long as you are on wifi/UMA.

im a little confused as to why you, a verizon user, posted this in the AT&T forum, as AT&T phones are not UMA enabled and do not offer UMA services as of this point.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 12-31-09 at 07:07 AM.
    12-31-09 07:04 AM
    I thought ATT was UMA. I am with Verizon and do not know much about the other carriers. At some point I think I was told ATT was UMA as an explanation as to how their 3G phones can talk and do data (such as the internet) at the same time.

Sorry if on wrong forum....still learning about a lot of this stuff. LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-09 07:11 AM
    at&t doesnt offer UMA. tmobile and rogers do, among a number of other carriers.

i think all types of GSM 3G networks offer simultaneous voice/data. it has to do with the structure of the GSM network. CDMA doesnt offer this feature due to the contraints of their network structure.

a CDMA or non 3G GSM (GPRS/EDGE) device with an active wifi connection, would offer this feature of simultaneous voice and data as the wifi acts as a separate channel, dedicated to data.

the specifics of how it all works from an engineering/networking standpoint, i couldnt describe knowledgeably.
    12-31-09 07:21 AM
    also, UMA requires a wifi network (aka a home wirless router or a public network like at starbucks). so when you are out on the road or in a public place without a wifi connection, the phone resorts back to its native cellular network for calls and data and all its non UMA restrictions.
    12-31-09 07:25 AM
    And with multiple UMA phones, a pretty decent internet pipeline. Single UMA phone isn't bad.
    12-31-09 07:56 AM
    3G on W-CDMA UMTS/HSPA can do data and voice at the same time because it is supported with that protocol. 3G on CDMA is EVDO and it is pure data, no voice network tied to it. The voice network on CDMA is on 1XRT (1X). CDMA can do voice/data at the same time with stuff like SVDO/EVDV but those projects were thrown out after not many CDMA carriers were interested in the technologies.
    12-31-09 12:51 PM
    I wish at&t offered uma that would be sweet
    12-31-09 01:28 PM
    I wish at&t offered uma that would be sweet
    if you are already on strong signaled 3G GSM network that can do simultaneous voice and data and can connect to a home wifi network, its not really a big deal.

unless you felt like paying more per month for unlimited UMA calling, its practically the same thing either way.

the only time i would find UMA useful is if i lived in a poor reception area and owned an EDGE only device with UMA abilities. owning a 3G phone and having wifi ability is no different than being on UMA.
    12-31-09 09:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD