What are the pros and cons to having GSM or CDMA in the United States?
    11-26-11 07:36 PM
    Pros of CDMA

• Secure communication channel
    • Ability to carry out several conversations simultaneously
    • Can reach even the remotest of areas, so provides wider network service
    • Operator can give better service, as it increases efficiency
    • Power consumption is reasonably lesser

Cons of CDMA
    • CDMA, though popular, is more recent than GSM. So it has more flaws than the latter
    • This method of communication cannot offer international roaming and many other advanced user services

Pros of GSM

• GSM is very popular, with over 450,000,000 subscribers as of today
    • This network supports international roaming, hence is the popular choice among users
    • GSM offers a stable network with a host of robust functionalities
    CDMA Vs. GSM – Which is More Preferable?
    11-26-11 07:42 PM
    Biggest one for me, GSM can use voice and data at the same time. CDMA is limited to one or the other at a single time. Although we have seen recent CDMA devices with dual radios that allow the use of voice and data simultaneously.
    11-26-11 07:54 PM
    Another difference is that GSM carriers typically have faster data speeds both downstream and upstream than CDMA carriers.

This article mentions the iPhone4S. However, the information could apply to any device, in terms of coverage, data speeds, use of voice/data simultaneously, etc.
    11-26-11 08:01 PM
    CDMA is a bit slower than GSM as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-11 08:01 PM
    On balance neither system has any unique technical advantages. If you are chosing a carrier, look at (and make practical tests if possible) the coverage available in the areas you expect to use the service most frequently. Each carrier has its own tower network, and its own distribution of good/poor coverage. Be particularly aware that relatively small not-spots can exist due to local signal blockage even in areas with overall good coverage, and this may be a showstopper if it happens to ciover your home or place of work.

This quote totally discredits the original source
    Pros of CDMA

Secure communication channel
    Questionable claim. Security of current networks is broadly comparable in resistance to interception - pretty strong.
    Ability to carry out several conversations simultaneously
    False - CDMA and GSM both support call waiting and on-hold/call switching.
    Can reach even the remotest of areas, so provides wider network service
    False. The radio coverage from any given antenna is governed by physics, not the data protocol
    Operator can give better service, as it increases efficiency
    Meaningless statement. Quality of service is governed by operator policy and radio coverage
    Power consumption is reasonably lesser
    Unsupported claim

Cons of CDMA

CDMA, though popular, is more recent than GSM. So it has more flaws than the latter
    Probably untrue, and any defects are unlikely to impact end-users
    This method of communication cannot offer international roaming and many other advanced user services
    False - Many CDMA devices support SIM for roaming onto GSM networks

Pros of GSM

GSM is very popular, with over 450,000,000 subscribers as of today
    So what?
    This network supports international roaming, hence is the popular choice among users
    See above
    GSM offers a stable network with a host of robust functionalities
    Capability and functionality are generally similar between CDMA and GSM networks
    11-26-11 08:23 PM
    This method of communication cannot offer international
    roaming and many other advanced user services
    False - Many CDMA devices support SIM for roaming onto
    GSM networks.

Death: Comparing network technologies. And that isn't in most phones.

Pros of GSM
    GSM is very popular, with over 450,000,000 subscribers as
    of today
    So what?

Death: more support worldwide.

GSM offers a stable network with a host of robust
    functionalities
    Capability and functionality are generally similar between
    CDMA and GSM networks

Death: No. GSM Owners have Talk and Web.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I noticed in the mountains, VZW and Sprint (CDMA) typically get better than ATT and T-Mo (GSM). And GSM gets better signal in brick Buildings than CDMA.
    In my case. Not sure if that means anything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-11 09:30 PM
    So, I live in Miami, and I'm rarely (if ever) going to go into rural areas in the US, and I'm going to be traveling a lot... I also have an unlocked Verizon 9930 which will work with my foreign SIM cards.

Should I stick with VZ and simply use my SIM cards when traveling, or should I ditch Big Red and go to ATT?

Also, with me, CDMA seems to use a lot more power than GSM did...
    Last edited by bobbydudeman; 11-26-11 at 10:27 PM.
    11-26-11 10:24 PM
    So, I live in Miami, and I'm rarely (if ever) going to go into rural areas in the US, and I'm going to be traveling a lot... I also have an unlocked Verizon 9930 which will work with my foreign SIM cards.

Should I stick with VZ and simply use my SIM cards when traveling, or should I ditch Big Red and go to ATT?
    As you said, the 9930 also has a GSM radio, it is 2G compatible pretty much everywhere. Though, take in count that it only has two UMTS bands, which is mostly used by european and asian networks, and a few other places like africa and limited in south america.

If you dont care about 3G or H+ abroad, then it should not matter at all.
    If you switch to AT&T, you wont get 3G or H+ with the 9930.
    Last edited by gbsn; 11-26-11 at 10:36 PM.
    11-26-11 10:33 PM
    I never had H+ abroad with my European spec 9700, and it never seemed to be a problem, but 3G is absolutely necessary, no questions asked... I used a BB 8520 for a couple of months, the lack of 3G was really noticeable.
    11-26-11 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD