I have a BB Torch and Im finding the grouping the contacts a nightmare. This is a very basic function on most phones I've previously owned and Im very surprised the BB doesnt handle it better.
    I've searched the forums and found other people with similar problems but no satisfactory answer has been given, so I thought I'd ask again. (some of the posts were 2 years old)

Its really quite simple, I just want all my contacts listed in groups, family, work, friends etc etc. I dont want to have to scroll through over 400 contacts everytime. I know I can use search but its just so messy.

I tried making groups with the inbuilt function but it lists the group heading in amongst the list of contacts???? rubbish! Plus it still leaves the contact in the original list plus the group...what? why?

Can some bright spark help me out here or maybe point me to a suitable app?
    tia
    05-05-11 06:15 AM
    Probably not the solution you are looking for but I use the Title field to group. For All of my family contacts, I put Family in the Title. It isn't the most elegant solution, but it does list all of the family together in the address book.

Also, you don't really have to use the search application. If you open your address book and then start typing letters of the name your looking for it will narrow down your list as you type.

I hope that helps.
    05-05-11 07:07 AM
    Probably not the solution you are looking for but I use the Title field to group. For All of my family contacts, I put Family in the Title. It isn't the most elegant solution, but it does list all of the family together in the address book.

Also, you don't really have to use the search application. If you open your address book and then start typing letters of the name your looking for it will narrow down your list as you type.

I hope that helps.
    I know what you are saying but its still too cumbersome for me. I work as a building supervisor and make upto 60 calls a day.
    I used to have all my contacts grouped and listed nicely, trades, suppliers, clients (on the iphone) surely its not that hard. Especially as the BB is aimed more towards professional people and is lauded as such.
    I might also add that the iphone didnt do this natively, I had an app although if you grouped your contacts in Outlook the iphone would sync them into groups.
    05-05-11 07:49 AM
  4. T
    I don't understand. You want to open your address book and see a list of groups to choose from? I just set up filters for my contacts. But yes, if you choose a filter, say "personal," it only shows the contacts in that category when you open the address book. Even so, if you go to dial by name when making a call, any contact you type in will come up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-11 08:21 AM
    I don't understand. You want to open your address book and see a list of groups to choose from? I just set up filters for my contacts. But yes, if you choose a filter, say "personal," it only shows the contacts in that category when you open the address book. Even so, if you go to dial by name when making a call, any contact you type in will come up.

This is the way I do it, works great !!
    05-05-11 08:31 AM
    The grouping is a bunch of junk on a BB. Here's what you do: get a little more detailed with your contact information. For example: don't just put a name and number put the business that contact works for. Then from the home screen just type the person's name or name of business and it'll be there. There is a address book app in appworld, but I've never used it.

05-05-11 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD