I'm constantly showing a grey Wifi icon on my 9700 even though it says I'm connected to Wifi. I can even surf the net using BOLT with my Mobile Connection turned off. For my wifi, it just says i'm connected, but I do not have a green checkmark.
    I thought that if the icon is grey, I have no connection, so how is it that I can use Bolt with wifi being grey and what can i do to make it a solid white?

I never had the problem on my 8900 and I'm using the same internet provider.
    05-24-10 12:58 PM
    It means you are connected, but not connected to your BIS server - not using Data... those without a data plan never see their Wifi symbol turn White.
    05-24-10 02:24 PM
    what OS do you have? i had one .5xx version installed and it would never turn white even when connected. when i upgraded to .593 it started showing up white again.
    05-24-10 02:32 PM
    Is this possible...

...no signal whatsoever (planned maintenance on my local cell tower), but full connection to BIS via wifi?

I just sent this pic to my photobucket account by device email, logged on there and copied the details, then posted here - all from my phone via wifi in white not grey, with zero bars and an SOS cell signal.

I didn't think that was possible

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-10 07:01 PM
    I have data plan and even when I have it on I still get a grey wifi symbol.

I'm on .656 and have a Rogers plan. I tried earlier versions and kept getting the same problem.
    05-24-10 07:11 PM
    I need to set up my wifi!

05-24-10 07:57 PM

I'm on .656 and have a Rogers plan. I tried earlier versions and kept getting the same problem.
    have you tried resending your service books?
    05-24-10 08:26 PM
    Is this possible...

...no signal whatsoever (planned maintenance on my local cell tower), but full connection to BIS via wifi?

I just sent this pic to my photobucket account by device email, logged on there and copied the details, then posted here - all from my phone via wifi in white not grey, with zero bars and an SOS cell signal.

I didn't think that was possible

It's absolutely possible. You can do all BIS features thru wifi AFAIK. It will still work if you turn off your mobile network and your wifi is up.

05-24-10 09:48 PM
    It's absolutely possible. You can do all BIS features thru wifi AFAIK. It will still work if you turn off your mobile network and your wifi is up.
    Phill, dLo is 100% correct.
    If you're Wifi is white, everything is being sent/received through Wifi, regardless of cell signal strength.

05-24-10 10:06 PM

While in your native Browser, press MENU, select Options, Browser Configuration, and make sure the first line says Browser: Internet Browser.
    (The Internet Browser setting will still use Wifi as a default if available. I never change this setting.)

Unplug your wireless router for a minute then plug it back it in. At the same time, you might as well do a physical battery pull on your 9700 too.
    After they're back back on, see if the Wifi logo is white.

05-24-10 10:24 PM
    to the op... i see you are on rogers... you must be on one of those voice data bb plans... there is a provisioning error at rogers with plan codes with the combo data/voice bb plans.

I had my wifi solid white and after i changed my planned it was all grey... i was able to somewhat solve my problem via tier 2 support temporarily. Rogers is now aware of this and hopefully will fix it sooner than later.
    05-25-10 01:34 AM
    I'm a TELUS user, my blackberry has the same issue!

Even with mobile network turned OFF, it greys out and turns white off and on, regardless of what hotspot used. I'm using the latest build of OS 5 and it does this. When it greys out, I have no access at all. The only time I have access is when it turns white. This is purely annoying as IRC only works with wifi, otherwise I get the stupid "critical tunnel error". I want to be able to use wi-fi and not my data unless I'm not home or away from a hotspot/access point.

So long story short: Wifi logo goes grey, no connection, wifi goes white, connection works. This repeats. I think the wifi chip is defective. Iphones have similar issues. The freezer or a cooling fan inside it would help, or a chip that doesn't overheat would be nice.

05-25-10 02:53 AM
    Hi Brian, I'm Telus like you. Refer to my last post a few up from this one. Let me know your results please!

05-25-10 06:24 AM
    All settings are as you instructed to be. Router is fine, old router was also fine, it's a backup. Wifi still cuts in and out. Pretty annoying. Only settings I changed were to disable all graphics and images in the browser to save on data.

Otherwise, everything else is defaulted.

05-25-10 06:44 AM
    Guys,

going to hotspot browser is not going to change a thing. neither is rebooting the router.

the wifi white/grey defines if you are connected to the bis... which happens for a few reasons... service books, hrt routes or simply provisioning restrictions/issues.

if you have wifi (you can test by disabling the carrier signal radio and browsing the net using hotspot browser) and are still seeing a grey icon then its more than likely service book, hrt or provisioning issue.

- To see if its service books... go to service books and delete the 2 wifi* service books and reboot.
    - To see if its hrt go to hrt and delete the wifi 60 and then register the hrt again.
    - if it still doesnt work call the carrier... which they will claim bis over wifi does not work and is not a feature but you gotta keep on calling and hope for the best.

With rogers atleast plans that are add on bb plans seem to work fine and are fully unrestricted.
    05-25-10 08:30 AM
    Sounds like I need to make a call to Rogers...
    05-25-10 07:49 PM
    Sounds like I need to make a call to Rogers...
    my advice is to call and if the tech is not helpful just hang up and call again... i was told there will be an email going around about this issue so hopefully you will get a good tech who can get this going... they will go on about wifi we dont support wifi... we dont know what kinda router all kinds of bogus reasoning... but going to have to be stubborn if you are going to get it going.

Let us know how you make out.
    05-25-10 08:35 PM
    Hey guys,

Thought I'd quickly shed some light on this topic:

I currently did a hardware upgrade to a 9700 and ditched my 8900 (which was just over a year old).

I was getting the same grey wifi icon on my 8900 as well and went through Rogers Tier 2 tech support for help and they were unsuccessful in getting it back up to speed. I was then told that because my phone was OUT of warranty I'd have to BUY a new phone for a not-so-nice 'discounted' price of *drumroll pls* $300!!! That was very frustrating. I escalated my conversation with the tech person and asked for the Loyalty Department. There, they were able to give me an even BETTER discount because of the frustration I was getting from my 8900 and the somewhat helpful tech team.

So instead of paying a crappy discounted price, I got the 9700 for the promo price and re-signed my contract for another 3 yrs, without even having to change my sweet plan. Also, because I wasn't using my data plan, Rogers credited me $15 for the week I didn't have a usable device! You just need to ask.

Conclusion: If after wiping the handheld, reloading Rogers Carrier 4.6 OS, rebooting numerous times etc...and your BB STILL has a grey icon, then your BB is defected. If you're in warranty, request a phone swap in your city. If you're out of warranty, call your carrier and demand a new phone w/out having to pay the ridiculous hardware upgrade prices. Negotiate the deal to get your way. Forreal. Because now, I have a shiny brand new white 9700 with no issues and I didn't even have to pay anywhere to full price for it - just renewed my contract.

Good luck everyone with their grey icon problems. It's really a b*tch to deal with if you rely on data services all the time.
    06-01-10 07:02 PM
    its not a warranty issue nor a hardware issue. its simply a rogers provisioning issue. Don't waste your time with warranty replacements.

the BB Unlimited plans have different codes than the 25/500mb add on plan.

The reason your phone worked is because when they sent it to you it was provisioned correctly from box on... if/when you change plan you will see you will have the same problem.
    06-01-10 07:10 PM
    its not a warranty issue nor a hardware issue. its simply a rogers provisioning issue. Don't waste your time with warranty replacements.

the BB Unlimited plans have different codes than the 25/500mb add on plan.

The reason your phone worked is because when they sent it to you it was provisioned correctly from box on... if/when you change plan you will see you will have the same problem.
    Hey, sounds like the right answer. I'm having the same issue with Rogers right after they changed my data plan. What should I tell them, other than they add, re-add the plan again and again and fix nothing? Thx!
    06-03-10 12:27 AM
    I have the same issue on my 9700 on Rogers. I think it happened when I switched to the my10 BlackBerry package.
    06-03-10 05:30 PM
    I believe the last few threads are correct. My data plan got changed, and that when I lost the white wifi logo. But I can still get to use wifi. I called Rogers blackberry tech. twice, they told me wifi works. Do not worry about the logo???

Anyway, anyone calling Rogers and get this resolved pls post.

Bold007
    06-05-10 10:41 AM
    So as an update, I have called rogers and it was escallated to Tier 2 support, haven't heard back in over a week. In any case, if I remove my SIM card and try to connect to wifi, I still get the grey icon but I can surf the web with Bolt or the native browser. If i keep the SIM card in and turn off Network connection, both work as well. So even though the WiFi icon is grey I can browse without a SIM card, then isn't that not a provisional issue but a blackberry issue? Strangely enough, I have not seen a WiFi icon to be white no matter where I try to connect.
    Last edited by adubrovs; 07-04-10 at 09:09 AM.
    07-02-10 03:48 PM
    I was down usa for the weekend, I had my roaming set to off. But where I stayed had free wifi. Browsing was fine, but I was not getting my emails. My logo was greyed, had this for about a month now.

Anyone? Is this why i was not getting my emails?

I believed I used to get my emails thru wifi, when the logo was lit.??
    07-04-10 08:50 PM
    After approx. 6 weeks, I got back the logo and checkmark on my bold. Noticed this morning, did not do anything.
    07-12-10 08:48 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD