Anyone else use AMaze GPS Navigation program? I admit, I didn't use the search key to see if this software has been discussed- but even if it has, it should be mentioned again because it works really well, it's free, and it has voice navigation. Works on BB's with GPS, of course. Great maps, satellite views, weather, easier to use than the others I've tried. Even has European maps! I believe it comes from Germany. Must have for those that like high-techie apps on their Berry!
    11-17-08 11:02 AM
    Maybe I'll check it out...I been using the BB maps n recently tried out BlackBerry Tracker as well. If its vot voice directions and its free its gotta b worth checking out! Thx
    11-17-08 11:27 AM
    It works great, easier than the Windows Live Search, which is modified for the BB anyway. Use the OTA link, it automatically "sees" your phone make and model and DL's the correct version.
    11-17-08 11:35 AM
    You can use a local search function for a business name, category (ie: Pizza), etc.

This is my 10th post, so now I can give a link!-next...
    11-17-08 11:39 AM
    Here's a link to the Homepage, I believe..

amAze - Free GPS Navigation for your mobile phone!
    11-17-08 11:40 AM
    I like AmazeGPS, but they need to update the UI on it.

It's really hard to navigate and input data.
    11-17-08 11:46 AM
    I'm gonna do more testing with it today, I've only played with it for a half hour or so, but inputting info seems easy. I'll have to check out the ease of navigating since it uses just arrows, I believe. Their reasoning is it's less intensive and quicker for the processing speeds. But the Satellite views are very cool and accurate, too.
    11-17-08 12:07 PM
    Hmm I will try that cheers!
    11-17-08 12:29 PM
    Can u track yur fone or whatnot with it?
    11-17-08 01:16 PM
    OK, played with it for a few hours today. The maps are kinda clunky and cartoonish and not the easiest to navigate with, but I didn't use them. The trick is to use the "navigation" function in the menu after inputting your destination info. This gives you a screen similar to the secondary screens on many GPS standalone units- An enlarged graphic that shows the next upcoming turn with a large arrow, with the distance to in both a color bargraph and a number display showing feet or portion of a mile to the next turn. This also activates the voice turn-by-turn, which I finally found out after NOT finding the voice while using the maps! The voice is fairly loud and very clear to understand. It is very accurate in Navigation mode, and its almost impossible to miss a turn, unlike a high-end tom-tom I used. The other "cool' thing is that in this mode you can use it in a kind of "stealth" mode- for instance, I had my S9 headset on, (or whatever earpiece you use, I would imagine,) and simply put my phone down on the console, then just listened to the directions through my headset. Never had to take my eyes off the road! This, I believe, makes it very practicle to use in a car or on a bike or motorcycle. Very functional. I like it once you get past that quirk with the odd maps.
    Last edited by garpt; 11-17-08 at 05:47 PM.
    11-17-08 05:41 PM
    Nice find! Thanks for sharing!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-08 06:27 PM
    I played around with this app last weekend. For a free program, this is a great navigation solution. I look forward to using it when I really need it. It is a bit cumbersome to use, but, you get used to it.
    11-17-08 10:41 PM
    I also like this application, however, here in Italy, the navigation is not very accurate even when selecting "Shortest distance". I usually have to take a highway that goes north and then west to go home, for some reason, instead of west it want to go east. If I do go east, I get a deviation of 5 kilometers.

I really love this program and I do hope that the author will make a new revision that corrects this problem.
    12-10-08 12:01 PM
    Nice to hear that.
    12-10-08 12:40 PM
    Has anyone had any luck with this on the Storm? I see it is listed as a supported device but it can never find satellites even when BB Maps can.
    12-11-08 09:12 AM
    I tried it on the Storm. I like Nav4All better for the Storm. However, Garmin now is working for the Storm. I downloaded and its real nice. Its 99 bucks, but at least the 1st 7 days are free.

If Gmaps ever gets around to fixing its issue with the Storm's GUI (that's their offical stand) then I would use that for Free.

As it is... the Fun UK Female Voice for Nav4All is pretty dang sexy.
    12-11-08 03:54 PM
    doesn't work on my 8330 verizon curve
    12-11-08 06:04 PM
    i put the amaZe app on my at&t 8310 and it worked great... i was testing it before putting it on my wifes verizon 8330. i agree with garpt that the nav screen is great! big arrows and clear speech! when i loaded the app on the verizon curve, it could not find the satellites, tho bb maps worked fine. i tried lifeinpocket and garmin... nothing but vz nav works. anyone have any success with a non-vz pgm that uses the gps?
    12-12-08 01:57 PM
    After reading this topic last night I decided to try it out. It worked great at first, leading me 27km downtown. Clear voice commands. At the end of the night though, on the way home it was a different story. I noticed a few negatives:
    - Very slow. Running it on the 8900 was unbearably slow and laggy.
    -The interface looks pretty dated and old, the maps don't look that great and are hard to follow. I didn't mind this TOO much because I was just listening for the voice prompts anyway.
    -Couldn't find an option to avoid highways. Highways were closed last night and I couldn't find the right option so I had to resort to BBmaps (google doesn't have avoid highways either?) to lead me home.

It isn't perfect but it's free so I can't complain. I'll continue to fool around with it and use it until I discover something better.
    12-12-08 02:27 PM
    I noticed on the BB dev site last night a 4.6.1 JDE which has a 8900 sim, dunno how long it's been up but now that it is Amaze can test for the device you have, dunno what would have changed to make it unbearably slow though, works fine on my 8310.
    12-12-08 06:09 PM
    doesn't work on my 8330 verizon curve
    Hey Dig,

Your 8330 would need a GPS puck. Try the Freedom GPS keychain one offered in the CB store.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 09:48 PM
    need help no satellite on amaze
    12-13-08 01:17 AM
    need help no satellite on amaze
    Dunno about the 8320, but with the 8310 sometimes I have to start the app, wait a bit, quit it and restart it for GPS to work, not sure why it doesn't work first time, other than timing out waiting for a response from the OS maybe and then the listener fails to retry or continue from that point on.
    12-13-08 01:47 AM
    hi when you say free that mean i don't use my data with this or i have to have a data plan i have a blackberry bold
    12-13-08 05:37 AM
    hi when you say free that mean i don't use my data with this or i have to have a data plan i have a blackberry bold
    The app is free, but it uses TCP/GPRS etc data to pull maps and/or routing information, the cost of data isn't usually free, even when it is included in the cost of your phone plan you are still paying for it, but the program itself is a "free" download, in that they don't charge you for the application.
    12-13-08 07:21 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD