Stud finder? Really? That is an important app?
    Try living in a house with wood lathe and / or plaster wire mesh. Stud finders don't work. The best way to find a stud is using a switch or plug,.measure 16 inches, then pound the wall. You'll find the stud.
    Sometime said it was important?
    08-26-13 07:34 PM
    No, no, no. It's an app for horse breeders to help you find a stud for your filly.

Another version is for the ladies who are looking for gifted lovers.
    08-26-13 07:44 PM
    The you-don't-need-apps argument makes me imagine a conversation Henry Ford might have had with an unbelieving possible buyer...."why do you need these newfangled machinery??? my horse and buggy can get me to the church on Sunday just fine....This is the work of the devil and it will never sell...."
    Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile, he invented mass production via assembly line. Karl Benz invented the first modern automobile. Not that this changes your point or anything.
    08-26-13 07:44 PM
    oh and this application doesn't prove anything. if i had a contractor doing work at my house (lmao) and he started rubbing his iphone on the walls to find the studs, i'd kick him out.

You're able to buy a stud finder atWalmart for as little as ten dollars. If I'm doing work that involves finding studs in my walls, I'm probably going to use a hammer or a drill to pound a nail or drive a screw into said stud. All of these tools would be in my toolbox so I can do the job properly.

And if I'm working with a guy who is trying to find studs with his iphone while I have my toolbox that contains a hammer and a stud finder, well, I'm not sure if I'd bludgeon the guy with my hammer or smash his iphone with it.
    08-26-13 07:49 PM
    I think the whole point of the post (which was NOT to insist that smartphone-bound stud finders are the new wave) has been lost on some. I guess it was to be expected...
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    08-26-13 07:59 PM
    I think the point of this thread is to talk about an unimportant stud finder app, which people don't need or want, and somehow make it seem like it is an essential app that we can't live without.
    08-26-13 08:33 PM
    I think the point of this thread is to talk about an unimportant stud finder app, which people don't need or want, and somehow make it seem like it is an essential app that we can't live without.
    Yeah... No.

The point of the thread was to point out that Web Support and that everything can be solved with a web interface is not true.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    08-26-13 08:46 PM
    Yeah... No.

The point of the thread was to point out that Web Support and that everything can be solved with a web interface is not true.

Maybe, but why claim that a stud finder app was a "great example" of a useful app, which it clearly is not??
    08-26-13 09:02 PM
    I don't know if anyone is trying to make this seem like an essential app that we can't live without.

And who are we to say what someone else wants and/or needs as far as apps go?

Notice I said want AND need.

I think some people are reading way too much into this little stud finder app.
    08-26-13 09:07 PM
    And why "I dont need apps, Ill just save a web page to my home screen" is a ridiculous answer to app-lack. And rarely a replacement.

Presenting: Stud Find!

iPhone App Actually Locates Wall Studs | ENR: Engineering News Record | McGraw-Hill Construction

The app that takes the guessing out of finding wall studs... It's a mini metal detector!

This is the kind of awesome and creative tools app can be. And why people want them!

This is a great example of why people want apps...-img_00000940.png

Posted via Z10 and CB10 on Rogers
    wincyUt likes this.
    08-26-13 09:08 PM
    Maybe, but why claim that a stud finder app was a "great example" of a useful app, which it clearly is not??
    It's a great example of potential in my book.

Would I ever use it? Probably not. Could it be a guide in a pinch to someone? I'd say yes.

I doubt anyone is going to build a shopping mall armed with iPhones, but what about the guy who is hanging with his son hanging lopsided pictures in the garage?

I don't use my Wi-Fi hotspot app, and I recall folks around these parts claiming stuff like that is useless. I wouldn't go that far. It's indicative of the fact that developers on other platforms are willing to stretch the hardware regardless of how frivolous we might think it is.
    08-26-13 09:09 PM
    I don't think this app is meant to replace a real stud finder or to be used when adding an addition to your home. I think this is more for small projects and DIY projects, not for really big projects.
    Exactly, I mean I think I will use my real zippo to light my smokes and not the app

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 09:13 PM
    oh and this application doesn't prove anything. if i had a contractor doing work at my house (lmao) and he started rubbing his iphone on the walls to find the studs, i'd kick him out.

You're able to buy a stud finder atWalmart for as little as ten dollars. If I'm doing work that involves finding studs in my walls, I'm probably going to use a hammer or a drill to pound a nail or drive a screw into said stud. All of these tools would be in my toolbox so I can do the job properly.

And if I'm working with a guy who is trying to find studs with his iphone while I have my toolbox that contains a hammer and a stud finder, well, I'm not sure if I'd bludgeon the guy with my hammer or smash his iphone with it.
    Wow! Seriously?
    08-26-13 09:39 PM
    But this app takes the fun out of hammering holes in the wall looking for a stud!

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    08-26-13 10:15 PM
    Wow! Seriously?
    yeah, so much for "bb are for professionals"
    08-27-13 09:14 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000940.png 
Views:	318 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	196047

Posted via Z10 and CB10 on Rogers
    There's even a free one in there called Metal Sniffer - who needs an iPhone now?!!

Good to know the app gap in smartphone studfinder apps is not a big one.

08-27-13 12:40 PM
    And why "I dont need apps, Ill just save a web page to my home screen" is a ridiculous answer to app-lack. And rarely a replacement.

Presenting: Stud Find!

iPhone App Actually Locates Wall Studs | ENR: Engineering News Record | McGraw-Hill Construction

The app that takes the guessing out of finding wall studs... It's a mini metal detector!

This is the kind of awesome and creative tools app can be. And why people want them!
    Wow! Just what I need a $500.00 phone to replace a two dollar hardware device!
    Last edited by Wilsonia Goldens; 08-28-13 at 08:13 AM.
    08-27-13 01:24 PM
    Wow! Just what I need a $500.00 phone for to replace a two dollar hardware device!
    ...that you carry everywhere with you?
    mikeo007 and Poirots Progeny like this.
    08-27-13 02:52 PM
    Thanks you so much for pointing out this app, "CeeXTop". Here lies the unfortunate problem that BlackBerry is having with all these folks who don't do thorough search for apps in the BlackBerry World but conclusively assume that whatever apps they are searching for don't exist on BB10. Yes BlackBerry needs apps like IG, Snapchat, Netflix etc but that doesn't mean that there isn't a robust library of apps for an average user. Its not an all or nothing. It's each individual's ability/aptitude to search for useful apps that ultimately makes the difference in their "app experience".
    Who on this platform (who has a real life i.e work/family/studying/social life etc) can honestly say that they or someone they know, has had time to review all the apps on the iOS? Lets be practical, BlackBerry app library is fairly good but has lots of room for improvement. In a few years BlackBerry World would be a lot more robust. Patience, Time & Dedication (adding more apps continuously) is the name of the game.
    No! Browser or nothing at all!
    08-27-13 03:02 PM
    ...that you carry everywhere with you?
    If you are hanging a picture or something heavy enough that I needs to be secured to a stud rather than a butterfly wall anchor, you probably already have a tape measure (in which case you can measure 1/2 inch in from the corner and every 16 inches should be close to dead center of the stud), or a hammer and nails, or a drill and screws. What I'm getting at here is, if you are doing the job, you do it right. I would much rather use my tried and true stud finder I've had for years, and paid 7 bucks for than a stud finder program for a phone.

I understand what the op is getting at here, but this application was a terrible choice. Maybe if it were an app that automatically brings you back to life after you die, it would be an app I couldn't do without. Sorry, this hokey hunk of coding may impress a few charlatans at a party, but no real carpenter or even weekend warrior is going to take this seriously.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 06:22 PM
    Yeah... No.

That's just the thing... I have my os on my laptop, that's just about it. Link is installed, and winamp. I do the majority of my things, both on my phone, and on my computer, through the browser. Sure I use cb10, but it is just a convenience for, I could live without it. I have links to my fantasy football league, seahawks insider, and rotoworld on my icon tray, because the Espn app won't work on 10.2. when it works, awesome bring it on, but I can live without it.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 06:26 PM
    Sorry, this hokey hunk of coding may impress a few charlatans at a party
    I don't disagree. Most people won't ever use it, but the people you mention (that I quoted above) are the type of people that make companies successful.

I know people that have purchased devices because a friend showed them theirs with a Bible app that has audio installed at a party; the one person doesn't even use that app, but the idea that that device has a good ecosystem stuck.

It only helps to have a lot of apps, even relatively obscure ones.
    08-27-13 10:15 PM
    That's just the thing... I have my os on my laptop, that's just about it. Link is installed, and winamp. I do the majority of my things, both on my phone, and on my computer, through the browser. Sure I use cb10, but it is just a convenience for, I could live without it. I have links to my fantasy football league, seahawks insider, and rotoworld on my icon tray, because the Espn app won't work on 10.2. when it works, awesome bring it on, but I can live without it.

Posted via CB10
    By that logic, using the native email app is just a convenience (yes, even though it's incorporated with the OS, it's still an app). Try removing or disabling all native email functionality and use only your web browser for all your email needs. How long do you think you'd suffer through that before determining that the app is much more important than using the browser?
    08-28-13 09:10 AM
    It's part of the same reason the whole world isn't ready to switch to Chromebooks. Sure you could get by for some things, but most of us would probably freak out after a few hours on a Chromebook.
    08-28-13 09:17 AM
99 ... 234