Truth be told, I feel a very large percentage of the apps nowadays aren't extremely useful. Maybe a few here and there might appreciate a good "find a nearby bar" app, but couldn't one do this on already present elements like the maps app? Or Use Google the old fashioned way...

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 10:12 PM
    Truth be told, I feel a very large percentage of the apps nowadays aren't extremely useful. Maybe a few here and there might appreciate a good "find a nearby bar" app, but couldn't one do this on already present elements like the maps app? Or Use Google the old fashioned way...

Posted via CB10
    I actually agree with you to some extent. Obviously there are a lot of terrible apps out there. But there are also a lot of very very good apps. Also, the extent to which apps have penetrated in to business and enterprise these days is absolutely astounding. There is almost no professional industry that does not have at least one indispensable iOS or Android app. Apps are completely transforming the way some industries operate.
    2ndHalfCor likes this.
    08-25-13 10:14 PM
    Well, apps are definitely necessary for any platform to succeed. But one can see that the BB10 platform still is lagging behind in sheer lead time to the rest of the platforms, and in time I'm sure you will start to see bigger name apps appear. The Android runtime on the platform is a nice touch, but not all apps are usable this way, and it is a short term fix at best.

Problem is: how do we get these big name players to budge?
    OK, I will play Captain Obvious.
    The "big name players" need a platform to have market share, or at least momentum. Yep, the chicken-egg again.

How can a new platform have a chance then? The obvious possibilities:
    1. Offer a genuinely superior 'base' (ie app-less) experience relative to the incumbents. This would draw customers which would then draw app makers. It doesn't appear BB10 offers enough in this respect as evidenced by poor sales.
    2. Offer phones far cheaper than comparably equipped app blessed platforms. This seems to be the most common armchair CEO solution. Loss leader prices to gain market share (although profits would obviously suffer), then apps would follow, then normalise (ie increase) prices. Nokia , with the 520 and variants, seems to be heading toward success with this method. Of course, they have MS giving them a billion or so a year which obviously helps. BB10 obviously fails miserably in this respect.
    3. Straight out offer bags of cash to Netflix, Instagram etc to develop and support apps for your platform. The apps will then presumably attract customers to your phones. MS is using his strategy to good effect. Note that this won't always work. Some companies have apparently decided that market share must come first before apps are developed. Google, with their superlative mapping solution for example, won't go anywhere that doesn't have a ton of eyeballs already. BlackBerry seems too partial to its cash reserves to do much here.

I believe if BlackBerry wants to survive as a handset maker they are going to have to:
    -accept losses and sell phones at or below cost (ie #2)
    -pay large sums directly to big app names (ie #3)

This would cost hundreds of millions or even into billions of dollars, but if they can get to double digit sales market share in a year or two, they can start to charge enough to make a profit on their hardware.
    08-25-13 10:18 PM
    For someone who is in the web development business that's a pretty funny thing to say "Maybe it's the lack of Flash...I don't know". Issues regarding HTML5 video are widely known and discussed in this space and of course Flash was one part of that. There is much much much more to browsers than video. Educate yourself: Apple iOS 5: HTML5 Developer Scorecard | Blog | Sencha
    Sarcasm my friend.
    Undbiter65 likes this.
    08-25-13 10:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think it depends on how much you use a device, and what you use it for.

I need my device to be as close to a laptop replacement as possible; I do a lot of social networking, writing, emailing and manage two numbers from one device.

I have to be able to update databases on the go, be able to get folks navigated to places and have access to miscellaneous info (like first aid) at a moment's notice.

I work in a creative field, and have to be able to enter an idea or dream by voice or one-handed on the fly, and have it accessible via cloud on any device I own or will have access to. Same goes for browser; it helps to have a browser that has all my bookmarks available on desktop or mobile.

Collaboration is another biggie. Cross-platform videochat while editing documents? Check.

So, yep, my needs are probably odd, but you can see why a sparse ecosystem is tough for me. I rely on a lot of cross-platform apps to help with my workflow.
    08-25-13 10:51 PM
    I don't know the technicalities and the benchmarks, but I'm pretty sure iPhone doesn't have the best browser...

Posted via CB10
    Not today. But it wasn't so very long ago that they did. And the point was addressing the past when mobile apps became prolific and important. At which time the iOS browser was at the top of the game, so claiming it was because their browser was found lacking compared to other platforms would be an incorrect assessment.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-25-13 11:07 PM
    I think the app store for iOS accelerated much of the expectation that everything could be made easier with a dedicated app. Want a nearby restaurant, go to an app, etc. And I think that pretty much spoiled everyone into a lazy trend of relying on apps and expecting an app to be made for every single need. Sadly, this has pushed more than a few reasonably good operating systems to the wayside ( like BlackBerry 10).

Posted via CB10
    walt63 likes this.
    08-26-13 12:06 AM
    I think the app store for iOS accelerated much of the expectation that everything could be made easier with a dedicated app. Want a nearby restaurant, go to an app, etc. And I think that pretty much spoiled everyone into a lazy trend of relying on apps and expecting an app to be made for every single need. Sadly, this has pushed more than a few reasonably good operating systems to the wayside ( like BlackBerry 10).

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't call it lazy; much as I wouldn't call someone who prefers a bike ride to walking for getting from point A to point B lazy.

I believe it is fairly impossible to argue that apps can make easier and/or more productive. So why not try to get them?

I know several people who still say they prefer Macs to PC. Smoother OS, better hardware, they say. Only drawback? Not enough of the "right" programs.

I think for a lot of people, they want extra functionality from their smartphones as well, regardless of the base OS.
    08-26-13 12:29 AM
    It's a mixture of many factors: does the brand name carry the need to have less apps (Blackberry doesn't, unlike a few years ago), the extra functionality of the operating system (If the operating system has more out of the box, people would be more lenient), the selling power and functionality of the app ( if an app is extremely important and irreplaceable, the operating system gets a push).

It's an interesting phenomena.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 12:44 AM
    It's a mixture of many factors: does the brand name carry the need to have less apps (Blackberry doesn't, unlike a few years ago), the extra functionality of the operating system (If the operating system has more out of the box, people would be more lenient), the selling power and functionality of the app ( if an app is extremely important and irreplaceable, the operating system gets a push).

It's an interesting phenomena.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. It is interesting. Did Apple stumble into a new way of doing things? I think so. I know it is unforgivable to challenge SJ's genius, but I think they kind of lucked out with regards to pushing apps even better than Winmo and Palm did. It took a LOT of pressure off of them.

I think Google successfully used similar strategies to create it's own ecosystem. It allows the development community enhance generalized apps, allowing it to specialize on apps that keep people grounded like Gmaps, Gmail and Google Now.

Here's the thing... I still think BBRY has it's own ecosystem, but just didn't make the necessary moves to make it's core apps ecosystem conerstones for whatever reason. BBM? A world of possibilities. BB Travel? Excellent idea. Even Remember could have been a bit more.

Just thinking out loud. I don't have the answers.
    08-26-13 01:04 AM
    the discussion on this topic cannot be defined
    08-26-13 02:25 AM
    This is a perfect example of how hilarious the app obsession is.

Is it cool that you can find studs with you phone? Yes. Does anyone REALLY care? No. Will anyone REALLY use it? Likely not, since the kinds of people who need to find studs would likely have equipment truly designed to do that.

It's just like Siri. Cool? Very. But among the dozens and dozens of iPhone users I know, NO one (with the exception of one fellow who uses her exclusively to set alarms) uses her except as a gimmick.

We need apps; 100%. But I'll take 10 truly useful ones over almost a million gimmick apps.

My gf thinks I love my Z10 more than her... she's on to me.
    08-26-13 02:29 AM
    This is a perfect example of how hilarious the app obsession is.

Is it cool that you can find studs with you phone? Yes. Does anyone REALLY care? No. Will anyone REALLY use it? Likely not, since the kinds of people who need to find studs would likely have equipment truly designed to do that.

It's just like Siri. Cool? Very. But among the dozens and dozens of iPhone users I know, NO one (with the exception of one fellow who uses her exclusively to set alarms) uses her except as a gimmick.

We need apps; 100%. But I'll take 10 truly useful ones over almost a million gimmick apps.

My gf thinks I love my Z10 more than her... she's on to me.
    I get your overall point, but I hesitate to call any app that can provide utility to even one person useless. Most of the apps I use daily would probably be considered useless by BB10 users.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    08-26-13 02:38 AM
    I agree! It's true. There are apps that would help me with my job. Even an IV Drip Rate calculator would be great. They are available on iOS and Android, but BB World has nothing of the sort. I'm holding out hope that this will change though, given the time for the new OS to mature.

I also don't see the problem with a versatile device like a BB10 phone being able to be a tool AND a toy sometimes. It irks me when people say "oh I don't need need Netflix because my BB is a tool not a toy. So it doesn't belong on the platform and nobody should get it". Well for some people it could be both, and consumers want that option.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    08-26-13 03:01 AM
    APP stands for application, in the apps you guys mention, is simply the application of the capacity of the device to show you something the device is sensing thorough the sensors, or to show you information. the truth is that is simply a way to deliver the information that seems really ground breaking but all of the apps you have show me in this tread as amazing are simply substitute of a device that does that better and is design specifically for that, so i want a device that does what i want better and now a new package for the half function, the camera is a side camera because if you are doing something really important on your life you would want a professional camera taking the pictures, is i wanted to locate metal in concrete i would buy a device specifically for that, is not saying apps are not important, is just that apps are suppose to innovate the actual experience and improve it, not gimmick.

It really seems like people these days are not really interested in actual innovation, but just in what other describe as innovation.

i don't want a device that does it all, i want a device that controls it all, that can talk to my professional camera so the picture can be sent to a place to print, or a device that can talk to a professional grade sensor that can save the location of the metal bars inside a 40x40 inch concrete column and save the info share it, use that to my not brake the super expensive drill.
    08-26-13 09:18 AM
    APP stands for application, in the apps you guys mention, is simply the application of the capacity of the device to show you something the device is sensing thorough the sensors, or to show you information. the truth is that is simply a way to deliver the information that seems really ground breaking but all of the apps you have show me in this tread as amazing are simply substitute of a device that does that better and is design specifically for that, so i want a device that does what i want better and now a new package for the half function, the camera is a side camera because if you are doing something really important on your life you would want a professional camera taking the pictures, is i wanted to locate metal in concrete i would buy a device specifically for that, is not saying apps are not important, is just that apps are suppose to innovate the actual experience and improve it, not gimmick.

It really seems like people these days are not really interested in actual innovation, but just in what other describe as innovation.

i don't want a device that does it all, i want a device that controls it all, that can talk to my professional camera so the picture can be sent to a place to print, or a device that can talk to a professional grade sensor that can save the location of the metal bars inside a 40x40 inch concrete column and save the info share it, use that to my not brake the super expensive drill.
    The point is, the stud finder, for example, isn't meant to replace a dedicated stud finder device. It's meant to be used in a pinch. For a DIY project, not for when you are trying to add an addition to your home.

Take the flashlight. It's not meant to replace a 3D cell flashlight for a overnight security guard. It's meant to be used for when you get home late and the front porch light is out and you can't see the keyhole. Or when you blow a fuse and you just need just enough light to find the circuit breaker.

The camera isn't meant to be used to take photos of swimsuit models for the next issue of Sports Illustrated. It's for taking a few pics when you're hanging out with friends or at the zoo and you don't have your dedicated camera or you let your girlfriend use your camera for a bit.

Same with games. Sure I'd rather play games on my XBOX or PS3, but when I'm waiting for the bus or train or waiting for the movie to start, I can kill time with a couple of games on my phone.

And sometimes I prefer the app over the dedicated device. Sometimes, instead on watching a TV show or music video on my TV, I like to use the VEVO app or Netflix app and watch them on my tablet when I'm just laying in bed. Now, I wouldn't want to watch Lord Of The Rings on my tablet, but when I want to rewatch an episode of Orange Is The New Black, my tablet is good enough and gets the job done.

All this talk of, "I'd rather use the dedicated tool for the job", of course we would, if we are able too, but sometimes, an APPlication on our smartphone and tablet is good enough.
    08-26-13 09:56 AM
    A couple of questions:

1. What is the easiest method to sideload an Android app on a BB10 device?
    2. Is there an app to sideload an app?
    3. Is there a web site that has the most free apps? Besides Google Play can Android apps be bought?
    4. Are there any after market browsers for BB10 that support "text reflow"?
    5. If I get a Android tablet can I download from Google Play and then sideload on a Z10?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 08-26-13 at 10:38 AM.
    08-26-13 10:25 AM
    Smartphones have always been a device of convenience. It's a jack of all trades, master of none, be it email, taking pictures, watching movies etc. It wasn't designed to replace your desktop or laptop with a large screen and keyboard, or your DSLR, or your home theatre. It strives to provide you with good enough,mobility,and the convenience of carrying one device if you so chose in exchange for being the best of everything.
    DenverRalphy and h20work like this.
    08-26-13 10:26 AM
    Not today. But it wasn't so very long ago that they did. And the point was addressing the past when mobile apps became prolific and important. At which time the iOS browser was at the top of the game, so claiming it was because their browser was found lacking compared to other platforms would be an incorrect assessment.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Well it depends on how you measure it. It's still one of the fastest and most stable browsers on the market.

But if you measure stuff like HTML5 compatibility, there is a test for that, it might not get first or second place.

But that matters little in practical use. HTML5 isnt very widespread yet, and clearly Safari is compatible ENOUGH with HTML5 so as to not cause me problems.
    08-26-13 11:33 AM
    I'd rather use my real stud finder which locates wood studs, and not just metal studs. Most houses don't have metal studs. The phone will detect nails, if you're lucky enough to pass over one. This app is only half way usable.
    This is the same rationality many posters used when it was announced 9900/9930 devices would not have an autofocus camera. "If I want to take a photo, I will use a camera" "Its a communication device, not a camera" "Why does a communication device need a camera anyway" etc... I'm sure the app isn't as good as stud finder. But it is something that could be useful for a simple DIY project and will have value to users.
    08-26-13 12:21 PM
    You know, I've been thinking of using Gadget Box for this. When I have my studfinder handy, I'll always use it.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    08-26-13 12:40 PM
    From the article:

"The iPhone's three-axis magnetometer is an instrument that measures magnetic forces. Internal Apple software uses the instrument to position the phone's 360� orientation. Stud Find uses the magnetometer as a metal detector."
    This would be a nice addition to the BlackBerry 10 Gadget Box App! Already has a level, compass, ruler, speedometer, metric converter, lux meter, flashlight etc.
    08-26-13 04:22 PM
    I will ALWAYS stand on my opinion that a website should not have an app. With responsive development, there's no need for it. The only reason why many websites have an app is because Apple's lack of a good mobile browser when first launched.

And let's me explain what I mean by websites. CNN WSJ Yahoo, Google...simple websites that doesn't present special features.

The mobile browser should be strong enough to handle a website flawlessly.

Games and utility apps, still need.

Posted via CB10
    Why do people like you never think of notifications? Which the browser can't do..

I never check Facebook anymore but if someone inboxes me I know because of the app. Same for twitter and pretty much any social media/i.m. App.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 04:28 PM
    Why do people like you never think of notifications? Which the browser can't do..
    Totally true. Though I must confess, I wish some apps didn't have notifications. I'm forever going in and turning them off for some apps on my Z10 and iPhone!
    Craig Abernethy likes this.
    08-26-13 04:35 PM
    Stud finder? Really? That is an important app?
    Try living in a house with wood lathe and / or plaster wire mesh. Stud finders don't work. The best way to find a stud is using a switch or plug,.measure 16 inches, then pound the wall. You'll find the stud.
    08-26-13 05:15 PM
99 1234