First off....I am not a troll. I've been using Blackberry's since an ex-employer issued me with an 8800 and have gone through the Pearl, Curve 8320 and am now on a Curve 8900. My 8900 was on BES, everything seince has been on my own personal BIS plan.

Right now, alongside my personal 8900, I have an employer issued iPhone for work so have been comparing the two for almost two months now. I also have a friend/colleague who moved from Blackberry to an iPhone exclusively for work and personal use and have opinions from him as well.

Basically I still prefer my BB - the device feels better in my hands, I have the iPhone on-screen keyboard and the fact that the screen is always grubby. I hate the locked-down OS on the iPhone (can't even change the background colour or - as far as I can tell - the four most used icons on the bottom of the screen!). But I feel strongly that BlackBerry is falling behind:

OTA Sync - this is a big problem for me. iPhone has the MobileMe suite and I have seen this work. My colleage receives and email on his Mac desktop which happens to have a date in teh text. He clicks the date and is sent straight to his calendar app to set the text of the appointment. Within seconds the same appointment is there on his iPhone OTA. Same with contacts and photos.

Why do I have to go home, plug in my USB cable and manually sync? I have a PC that is running 24/7 with a static IP address and running "industry standard" MS Outlook - how can I NOT be able to sync remotely?

Application development - I know that this isn't all RIM's fault, but so far as I can tell, application development is lagging far, far behind iPhone. Two examples are Facebook and Twitter. The Facebook application for iPhone blows the BlackBerry one away - anyone who has used both will tell you that. Twitter applications for Blackberry are all either beta versions with bugs or are all missing features. Granted that are free most of the time, but I would rather PAY a few pounds/dollars for an application that is finished, polished and doesn't hang my device.

Evernote is a very, very good example. My iPhone version is a fully featured polished application that is useable. The new BB version (released yesterday) is so limited as to be worthless - it doesn't sync my notes, doesn't allow off-line reading, etc.

I know many will read this as a "come on and shout at me" but I really, really want to stick with BlackBerry as I love the devices. I understand that Apple and their developers have a huge advantage in that there is ONLY one device running one version of the OS and talking only to MACs running the same software, etc. There are far, far more variables involved in developing for the BlackBerry with different devices, OS's, desktop environments, etc. But I am struggling to convince myself, let alone other people, that the BlackBerry is anywhere near to competing with the iPhone in the consumer market. If an iPhone came out tomorrow with a keyboard I would be hard pressed to justify sticking with BlackBerry and that saddens me.
    05-12-09 04:11 AM
    You can get OTA syncing for your Outlook if you get a BES/Exchange service. They are available for personal use. You can also get Exchange + ActiveSync for the WinMob side of things. BES seems to add about $5 extra a month compared to plain Exchange services (either WinMob, iPhone, regular Outlook)
    05-12-09 07:59 AM
    You can get OTA syncing for your Outlook if you get a BES/Exchange service. They are available for personal use. You can also get Exchange + ActiveSync for the WinMob side of things. BES seems to add about $5 extra a month compared to plain Exchange services (either WinMob, iPhone, regular Outlook)
    I could - but the last time I checked (granted, over a year ago) the BES bolt-on at my mobile carrier was 15 ($23 per month) and the cheapest hosted Exchange Server I could find was 12 ($18 per month). Compare to 58 per year that's around six times as much.

Currently investigating BBerrySync at $6 per month for contacts and calendar, notes and task sync, but the fact is that iPhone + Mac + MobileMe just works out of the box and RIM are missing a trick here.
    05-12-09 08:06 AM
    I don't see you as a troll, you have some legitimate issues and have started a good discussion. Every phone has its limitations and blackberries are no exception.
    05-12-09 08:06 AM
    In the spirit of fairness....one of my grouches has been sorted. Found something called FUNAMBOL which is an online PIM with a sync client for Outlook and one for Blackberry. Now both devices sync every five minutes so neither is more than ten minutes out of doubt.
    05-14-09 09:37 AM
    In the spirit of fairness....one of my grouches has been sorted. Found something called FUNAMBOL which is an online PIM with a sync client for Outlook and one for Blackberry. Now both devices sync every five minutes so neither is more than ten minutes out of doubt.
    Sounds useful, Happen to have a link?
    05-14-09 10:20 AM
    Sounds useful, Happen to have a link?
    Funambol Open Source MobileWe for Billions of Phones
    05-14-09 10:22 AM
    i agree with you there, blackberry does have its downsides. i wish there were more fun apps available, but i use it primarily to stay in touch with people, and it has gtalk, aim, and bb messenger, as well as constant email push, so i'm happy
    05-14-09 10:35 AM
    Well put Bryan. My roommate has an iPhone and me a Pearl and we go back in forth trying to impress the other. While his phone does has slicker looking apps and games, my BB fills my needs as a general all-around communication device.

I'm not a big fan of AT&T and touchscreen devices but if apple were to come out with a phone having a physical keyboard on a CDMA carrier, I would definitely give it a look. For now, I'm a loyal BB user and plan on purchasing the Tour when it arrives on Sprint.
    05-14-09 11:09 AM
    A sh*tty BlackBerry (like my 8900...currently on my second replacement) is still better than an iPhone. This coming from a Mac user.
    05-15-09 12:12 PM
    Each device has its strong and weak points, just find what ultimately works well for you and go for it.

My girlfriend had the original iPhone and I was pretty fascinated with it for awhile, especially being a Mac guy. Though, the exclusive distribution of the iPhone on AT&T turned me off to this device right away. The iPhone has a great user interface and apps, but lacking some crucial features such as copy/paste and Spotlight abilities like in OS X (all apparently coming soon in 3.0). She now has a white 3G iPhone and I really, really like the web browser, the abundance of apps and the 16GB of storage space internally. I know the newer BBs have expandable memory card abilities, I just don't really care for it. I also like how you can change the on-screen keyboard on the iPhone for different languages. Still dislike that predictive text feature though.

That being said, I wouldn't ever think of getting rid of my BB. You may think I am behind the times with a 8703e (employer issued), and not realizing the new latest and greatest features on a Curve or Storm. But the 8703e was given to me by work and it works so well for what we wanted it to do, BES/push email and BBM. If the iPhone ever comes to VZW, I would definitely get it as my personal device, in addition to my BlackBerry for work.
    05-15-09 01:46 PM
    Your reasons above are actually the reasons many people around, myself included, have iPod touches.
    05-15-09 05:22 PM
    Your reasons above are actually the reasons many people around, myself included, have iPod touches.
    Been there, done that. My girlfriend's iPhone prompted me to get an iPod Touch back in February 2008. Works great where I know I can get wifi, but also limiting.

I would definitely eBay it for an iPhone on VZW, since my primary uses would be the web browser and internet connecting apps.
    05-15-09 08:09 PM
    BB is the bet thing for me, but I know it has its problems. No device is perfect and that's okay.
    I like the apps on my ipod Touch and that's why I have it, but overall, I prefer my BB because it's not buggy, easy to use, and I can depend on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 08:53 PM
    I Agree 100%!!! I just bought a BlackBerry Curve and it's been one Disappointment after another. When I purchased my iPhone everything was basically self explanatory and it was a joy to have. However, it was time for a new phone and I have the misfortune of having friends who have consistently Overrated the Blackberry Curve...silly Me..I thought I would love it too. I have been constantly looking for answers ever since. It's been constant compromise with this Phone. a)I download 3 add-on applications Facebook, Twitter and Yahoo Messenger) and I get a "message" from my device saying that I should delete so I can free up Memory (On a Brand New Phone...WTF?!!) Okay, So I deleted Yahoo Messenger. App loader on Desktop works fine but Media Sync doesn't acknowledge my Phone so I figure I'll have to live without that (meanwhile desperately looking for answers on these "forums". My Trackball (after only having this phone for about 3 1/2 Weeks) as I type this Post is sitting in a shoe-box ruined as I wait for a new one. The Trackball suddenly didn't want to scroll to the right. Tried to fix it....You know the rest. What gets to me is I'm usually pretty savvy with these things, or so I thought...until I purchased a Blackberry Curve 8300. I can go on and on about the last 3 1/2 weeks of aggravation. It's just a "smartphone"...it shouldn't be complicated. If it weren't, there wouldn't be cries for help that can fill volumes right on this very site.
    P.S. I definitely agree with the Author but the difference is I'm not sad, I'm just going "Back2iPhone". Only thing bad about them is their exclusivity with AT&T (which the masses are waiting with baited breath for that Monarchy to end....or at least give the Crown to Verizon Wireless)
    05-31-10 12:02 AM
    @bryan.anderson
    I know how it feels to feel disappointed in a device that you pay so much money for. I have been there a few times, just never with a BlackBerry. My advice to you would be to get a device that you feel good about. I love BBs, but I know that not everyone does. Its a mistake to stay with a brand that continually disappoints you. Its a waste of time and money. I would research some other devices. Seems like you like the iPhone. That would be a good choice, I had one and I liked it a lot. The virtual keyboard takes no time to get used to. The app selection is great, and the multimedia experience is the best around. Android has some really nice options as well. I'm sure you will be able to find something that you are happy with. Good luck in your search. Hopefully RIM will make something you like and you will come back to us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-10 12:22 AM
    To each his own.
    I am on a Bold 9000. It was my first BB, and I will continue on with the BB brand. Although I am not happy with the amount of App memory I have, technology leaps at the speed of light, and by the time I get a new BB, I will be unhappy with memory as other devices will have more. But, it does do the job. Emails, SMS, texts, twitter, facebook, MSN etc... Yes I am limited to the amount of apps I can have, but I do with what I got. My girlfriend has an iPhone. When she got it, I was like "cool toy", and to me it's exactly that, a toy. My biggest pet peeve with the iPhone is the sound quality.
    05-31-10 04:01 AM
    (can't even change the background colour or - as far as I can tell - the four most used icons on the bottom of the screen!).
    Yes you can. You change them the same way to organize other apps.
    05-31-10 04:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD