Awesome! I was just about to ask about being able to load paths in the background without having to create a new path. Can't wait to test it.
    06-09-09 12:32 PM
    have to admit I didn't read all 22 pages of this thread didn't know the update issue was reports.
    np - I would be way more happy, if I could reply what would be the reason for this... For me in Europe its really hard to find a place without a cell signal - in the past the border to the east was always a good place... *sigh* the world it not what is used to be since the CCCP is gone

I'll let you know next time I go out camping (june20th) how long the Sats take to pickup so if someone else ask you have an idea.
    I think there should be a noption which would allow you, to update the GPS stat pos (so that in the middle of nowhere the signal pick up would be much faster) - but i do not know how this is implemented in the BB device itelf (might even variant by models)... that's why I just came up with this TomTom device story - since there I know for sure, that they have such a function...
    06-09-09 12:53 PM
    Great app, Matthias! Just an FYI. I just loaded beta os 5.0.0.93 on my Curve 8900 and your program comes up and works great. However, under views they are all available except Compass.( Path, Elevation, Speed, GPS, Timing, and Direction Views are all there). I really liked using the compass. Any chance that will come back in a revision?
    06-09-09 04:28 PM
    I really liked using the compass. Any chance that will come back in a revision?
    are you sure, that you then have installed the version for OS 4.6+ ? [just as note - the compass only works, when you move around - since it's based on the received gps data]
    06-09-09 04:48 PM
    I figured it out. I reinstalled, just to be safe that I did install the correct version. It still does not show the word Compass, but, believe it or not, clicking on Direction View brings up the compass. Keep up the good work, Matthias.
    06-09-09 05:20 PM
    I'd like to chime in on something I found odd over the weekend and it may tie into the thread about cell-tower location.

First, I've used gps-logger many times and it would start up and connect to my bluetooth puck almost instantly. I would wait till the Freedom got a satellite reading generally before starting gps-logger.

I was in a pretty deep canyon most definitely spotty/limited cell reception. Generally in the same area both Sat and Sun for two different hikes. I started the Freedom and got satellite lock. Opened logger and it would not connect - no blinking bluetooth light on the BB. I went to the bluetooth module (not the advanced gps setting option) and tried establish contact using properties/refresh. The blue light blinked - went back to logger - stopped blinking. Tried it again. Closed logger. Reopened and did the bluetooth again. Finally, I saw lat/long. It then worked for the entire 6 hour hike up 4,800 feet over 5 miles!!!

Fine.

Sunday, a bit south of the other location and up another side canyon. Same problem as Saturday. Could not get the BB and Freedom to link under gps-logger. Futzed around and it finally got lat/long. Tracked fine for the 4mile hike.

So, while I figure gps-logger only needs cell towers to send the files via email, is there something else it needs them for even if just checking on a connection?

Monday morning, here at home - NO problems. Immediate connection between BB and Freedom puck with Logger.
    Last edited by F2; 06-09-09 at 08:04 PM.
    06-09-09 07:37 PM
    I figured it out. I reinstalled, just to be safe that I did install the correct version. It still does not show the word Compass, but, believe it or not, clicking on Direction View brings up the compass. Keep up the good work, Matthias.
    I am sorry - but the direction view is not the compass view (they are very similar but not the same) - it's very strange - can you post me the OS Version String that is given by the device?
    06-10-09 12:38 AM
    So, while I figure gps-logger only needs cell towers to send the files via email, is there something else it needs them for even if just checking on a connection?
    that's a really good question - inside GPSLogger there is not a single line of code that deals with BT... So I can't tell at all - for me it looks like, that the Puck is not able to provide data at a certain time [when the puck would not be recognized/paired, then the application would instantly end and say "No GPS Supported on your device"] - So the app get's an GPS-data-Provider but for some reason (might be the same as I have described for the TomTom) the devices does not find satellites
    06-10-09 12:50 AM
    Love the app! One thing I noticed when I use a large font- when I go to Path Manager, then try to get Details of a path, I cannot scroll to the top to see everything. To see distance and time I have to use a smaller font. When I run and bike I like the large font. Thanks
    06-10-09 09:42 PM
    Love the app! One thing I noticed when I use a large font- when I go to Path Manager, then try to get Details of a path, I cannot scroll to the top to see everything.
    thanks for the feedback - that can be easily fixed in the next release
    06-11-09 02:17 AM
    Ok not sure if this helps but turn off bluetooth and cell tower inconnection and then try going into gpslogger it just sits there like when I'm out of range. I was playing with it on a plane before takeoff they said they can be on as long as the connection is off. I found that it behaves the same way as when I'n out of towerrange.
    06-11-09 04:22 PM
    When I load a path into the background, if I zoom in the position marker jus sits in the center of the screen. Zoom out all the way and it will work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 08:16 PM
    thanks nobius - I realized this myself yesterday - that's indeed a bug in 0.6.2 - it will be fixed in the next release...

Matthias
    06-12-09 01:49 AM
    GPSLogger update to 0.6.3

What's New?
    • If a location was loaded it will be always shown in the 'Path View'
    • New dialog to enter locations in the Degree, Minutes, Seconds (Milliseconds) format
    • Alignment of speed & elevation views based on relative (and not on absolute) time...

What's Fixed?
    • When using large fonts the path & location details could not be fully read...
    • Zoom works again when you are actually logging...

All changes can be found @ GPSLogger Changelog

Please note, that I have moved all the content to a new domain: http://www.emacberry.com [bb.emacf1.com does not exist any longer]

That's also the reason, that you might get an Information when updating to the new Version [a module with the same name (GPSLogger) exist] - simply continue by pressing "OK".

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

Matthias
    06-12-09 07:56 AM
    I may have missed it but once I load a former path into Logger, is there a way to clear it so NO path shows at the moment? (I can QUIT logger but from inside?)
    06-12-09 10:54 AM
    I was looking for something like this so that when I go for a bike ride I can track how far I've gone. Thanks
    06-12-09 12:17 PM
    thanks nobius - I realized this myself yesterday - that's indeed a bug in 0.6.2 - it will be fixed in the next release...

Matthias
    Thanks for fixing it! It works great now. I'm going to repeat my request that when looking at the Locations list that it have the distance to each location listed in [] instead of the date you entered that location. The date is pretty meaningless. I know I can look at the details individually, but it would be better to have them all on the list at once.

Another nice option for Locations would be to be able to export the list.
    06-12-09 01:10 PM
    I may have missed it but once I load a former path into Logger, is there a way to clear it so NO path shows at the moment? (I can QUIT logger but from inside?)
    I really wonder, that nobody posted a remark about this before - right now there is indeed no option to get rid of a previously loaded path... [in contrast to background path's that could be unloaded via the #menu]
    06-12-09 02:24 PM
    Sorry about the discovery but I was reading your manual and trying the zoom and moves and decided I did not want to look at that old path anymore and wanted to remove it from the path screen - not possible.

But I'm still confused - you mentioned removing BACKGROUND path - and the #menu - can't find that feature either.
    06-12-09 02:58 PM
    You have two ways of loading a path - you can "load" it - or you can load it to the background - Background Path's (you can load multiple) are just rendered (but you can't step into the path forward/backward) - only when a Background Path is loaded you have the menu entry to remove the background path's...
    06-12-09 03:27 PM
    ...I'm going to repeat my request that when looking at the Locations list that it have the distance to each location listed in [] instead of the date you entered that location.
    will be there in the next release...
    06-13-09 05:07 AM
    GPSLogger update to 0.6.4

What's New?
    • Option 'Use absolute elevation values': for some reason some devices (like Storm and Bold) seams to return "inverted" altitude value. Even if it's possible in WGS84 to have a negative altitude there are sample logs of users showing negative elevation values > ~250m - this is for sure not correct...
    • Location Manager will always show distance to current location in the location list...
    • Export format: CSV (incl. double quotes as value encloser)...
    • Export option: Only marked locations

What's Fixed?
    • KML Export: Marking of Max Speed when at the same location then with Max/Min Elevation
    • Added [BACKSPACE] as key shortcut for deleting a path or location in the corresponding manager screens

All changes can be found @ GPSLogger Changelog

Please note, that I have moved all the content to a new domain: http://www.emacberry.com [bb.emacf1.com does not exist any longer]

That's also the reason, that you might get an Information when updating to the new Version [a module with the same name (GPSLogger) exist] - simply continue by pressing "OK".

Installation & Update

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

Matthias
    06-16-09 02:24 AM
    GPSLogger update to 0.6.4.1 HOTFIX

What's New?
    • Renamed Option 'Use absolute elevation values' in 'Use inverted elevation values' (and adjusted the internal implementation)

What's Fixed?
    • Logging will record altitude again

Installation & Update

Matthias
    06-17-09 07:08 AM
    A couple of suggestions I noticed about Location Manager:
    1. the distance in () is great, but the [date] is still there and scrolls way off the screen when distance info is there. I suggest removing the date info since it can also be accessed on the Details screen. It's not imperative info anyway
    2. The sorting on the Location screen is by date entered, which really makes looking through a longer list difficult. I suggest sorting Alphabetically
    3. When entering in a location manually, you should make the data entry fields be numeric-only to make typing easier
    4. I think a Notes field would be a nice thing to have for each location so people can put some details in about each entry

This app is really coming along great. It's one of my favorite apps for the Blackberry.
    06-17-09 12:46 PM
    A couple of suggestions I noticed about Location Manager: 1. the distance in () is great, but the [date] is still there and scrolls way off the screen when distance info is there....
    this might be the case on your device / on your display size... the additional information in the list does not hurt at all...

3. When entering in a location manually, you should make the data entry fields be numeric-only to make typing easier
    that can be done indeed...

4. I think a Notes field would be a nice thing to have for each location so people can put some details in about each entry
    right now the internal data model does not allow this - I know a lame excuse from a developer
    06-18-09 02:41 AM
570 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD