GPSLogger finally made it into AppWorld

Hello GPSLogger users finally the app have become available in AppWorld - I have released the new build within the TestCenter Section - and what I really would/could need now are some more 5 star reviews :-) [of course only if you think that the app deserve it ]

The new 1.8.0.3 build contain some GUI changes as well as the option to select between GPS options: Default, Data Optimal (high battery usage, highest accuracy), Response Optimal (high battery usage, good accuracy), MS-Based (medium battery usage, medium accuracy), Standalone (low accuracy), Celltower ("no power" usage, lowest accuracy).

Please note that Celltower mode might not be available with all providers (like here in Europe with Vodafone) - but there might be other areas around the world where this will work. In any case GPSLogger comes now with a "Test GPS-Settings" button which will evaluate if your settings will be able to provide a GPS-Fix...

So get your GPSLogger update via AppWorld: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/17638
    11-03-10 02:46 PM
    Hi.. i am a hang glider pilot.
    I will test this application and compare the results to my digital variometer and let you know how it goes.
    Thank you.
    11-16-10 11:10 AM
    i just tested it going all around my block.
    Exported the log file to KML and opened it with google earth.
    The logged path is not straight but jerky by 7 meters of difference at some points, and a jump of 35 meters across the street that i never did.

Is this normal or should i adjust something else? I am using a BB 8900.

And last, does it also logs altitude? How is this possible without a pressure sensor on the phone? I fly at semi-rural locations where cellphone coverage is a bit weak, plus the FCC does not allow us to be up there with a cellphone screwing up the carrier towers (check this if you are curious about why).
    Thank you.
    11-16-10 12:26 PM
    i just tested it going all around my block.
    Exported the log file to KML and opened it with google earth.
    The logged path is not straight but jerky by 7 meters of difference at some points, and a jump of 35 meters across the street that i never did.

Is this normal or should i adjust something else? I am using a BB 8900.
    this all depends from a) your speed and b) how many buildings are around you - typically the location just jumps around when you are standing still - that's how it is - GPSLogger will also display the accuracy in [ ] so your location is the estimated one - it should be fine when you are in the air... before you lift off make sure that you have a GPS FIX then you can turn off the radio and GPS logger continue to work... the ALT is in WGS84 - this means you should not watch GPSLogger to detect if you are near the ground or not
    11-16-10 12:42 PM
    axo,
    Here are a couple of links to discussions regarding GPS and altitude readings. I find in my normal use that altitude values can jump all over the place just standing still, and is dependent on how clear a view of the sky I have.

I was trying to measure the height of a cliff at a nearby state park by getting an altitude reading at the top and bottom. At times, the phone was showing the bottom of the cliff to be higher than the top. I used geometry to determine the cliff is actually about 80 ft. high.

I think this is a function of the GPS system in general and the quality of the chip they use in phones, and not of any specific app.

Altitude Accuracy
    GPS Altitude with WAAS - AviationBanter
    11-16-10 12:55 PM
    -delete me- -delete me- -delete me-
    Last edited by emacf1; 02-15-12 at 03:11 AM.
    11-19-10 12:35 PM
    First, thanks for such a great app, I have tried every one I could find and this by far the best!

(And yes, I will be donating)

My question is, is there a setting within GPSlogger to prevent the screen from shutting off after the time set in the blackberry options? This is especially a problem when bike riding.

Thanks again!
    04-01-11 08:49 PM
    There is am option called "Keep Display always on" that's doing exactly what you are looking for...
    04-02-11 02:08 AM
    Wow, I'm not sure how I missed that when I went looking for it!

Thanks!
    04-02-11 12:18 PM
    GPSLogger v.1.8.0.8 released

What's new?
    • GPSLogger will check required ApplicationPermissions after installation
    • New Option to hide Waypoint/Trackpoint names

What's fixed?
    • Potential battery drain issues after GPSLogger have been shut down [even turning device GPS off did not solved this issue] - but finally with this new build this issue should be fixed
    • Potential SecurityException fix when applying new GPS sample Interval
    • Torch 9800 OS6.0.0.450 fixes (for folder navigation)

Full change log including the OTA URL's for OS4.2.1+ or OS4.6+ : at the GPSLogger ChangeLog Page
    04-02-11 04:35 PM
    GPSLogger II v.2.2 released

finally GPSLogger II have been released - read more:

Bye bye GPSLogger, say hello to GPSLogger II | CrackBerry.com

I could not say it better... thanks Ryan for this blog post!
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-13-11 at 05:29 AM.
    06-13-11 05:24 AM
    This app just keeps getting better.
    06-13-11 11:07 PM
    I'm having troubles getting it to GPS lock on my AT&T Bold 9700 running 6.6.0.195

I'm not sure it's the programs fault, but I'm still having problems with it. Last week I was having trouble where it would only ever connect (even outside on a cloudless night miles from anything) to maybe 3 or 4 satellites and I was getting terribly inaccurate readings. So then I deleted a bunch of stuff off my phone, including this app, and then reinstalled it and now I can't get a GPS Lock at all. I'll try a few other programs and see what I can't come up with in terms of maybe it not being this app.

That's to say, though, I've had and used this app for a couple years now. It's a great app and if I can't get it to work on my current phone, I"ll haul my old 9300 around with me just so I have this program at my disposal.
    07-24-11 02:04 PM
    ... over the last few weeks I observe a very bad GPS-Signal myself - no mater of the Device - my Torch and the Storm2 of my wife - both are affected...

All I can say/suggest is to check via the Device GPS-Options, if the OS itself is able to receive a qualified signal [sometimes I have a good fix in less then 10 sec... and sometimes I need to wait for over 5minutes... (always at the same location - with comparable weather conditions...)]

For sure the number of stats (and the quality of the signal) does not depend from the number of apps that are currently installed... that should not be the cause...
    07-24-11 03:39 PM
    Well, I just got out my 9300 (which, when I stopped using it a few weeks ago was working perfectly) and it also cannot seem to get a GPS lock. I tried using the "Options" menu to get a lock and it didn't work, and I tried using GPS Logger, and it also didn't work. That has me thinking that it's not an issue with my phone (or OS) or moreso the GPS system itself. That's got me feeling a lot better, I was worried my device was messing up!

So, I guess I'll just wait and see what happens and hopefully it's better in a few weeks. Maybe the weird weather or the massive heatwave is adversly affecting it (not sure how it would, but stranger things have happened).
    07-25-11 04:28 PM
    Thanks for your feedback - even if the bottom line is, that you still have issues (like myself)... so as long as the build in options GPS Settings can't get a GPS-fix then for sure 3'rd party apps like mine can't get a better result
    07-25-11 11:54 PM
    That makes me sad. After initially using it, I've always thought it has the best written GPS coding. Even when using other programs like Google Maps or Endomondo I ran GPS Logger because I knew it would have a strong, accurate GPS lock that didn't stop when I left the program.

So yes, it's definitely not your program, as I've never had a single problem with it and strongly prefer to use it over any other GPS program!

Hopefully whatever is happening, though, fixes itself quickly.
    07-26-11 01:02 AM
    I've got good news. On a road trip today to central Iowa (from Western Iowa) almost 200 miles from home my GPS is working perfectly. I have a 9 satellite lock. So it's my home region having the problem. Not my phone or the program.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-11 01:06 PM
    This is my 1st post on Crackberry forums. The reason I decided for it is the GPSLogger app. I've installed it today on a Bold 9000 and a Curve 8310 and I have to say that this app is AMAZING! I have some GPS apps on my Berries and this one is the better one. Actually I can say that it's the best app I've ever installed so far.

I would like to say THANK YOU and congratulations for developing this great app. 5 stars at BBAppWorld (I would give 10 if I could...)

b2b - Brazil
    08-05-11 06:23 AM
    I have upgraded to the newest GPSLogger II version 2.4.0.5. because there was a bug causing the previous beta version to expire on a certain day...

I would say don't worry. The app is free and the newest version will NEVER expire !!!

Take care
    02-05-12 07:08 AM
570 ... 212223
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD