I love this program... It's the only one that seems to work on my phone. At least for what I use it for anyway. I wish it had geocaching capabilities though.
    03-10-10 12:45 PM
    I wish it had geocaching capabilities though.
    Load (or create) a Location in the LocationManager and then use the Direction View... I am not sure, what you miss there?
    03-10-10 01:08 PM
    probably you have installed the OS4.6 version in a sub 4.6 OS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i tried both files and its the same thing? i have 4.5.0.186 software on my 8330 curve if that helps
    03-11-10 12:40 PM
    I messed something up.

In options under path directory I changed what it said, and now i get a pop up saying "The specified 'Path Directory' can't be used by GPSlogger (no write access0 - please specify an alternative.

Can somebody check on theirs and tell me what it's suppose to be named?
    03-18-10 03:23 PM
    Put the cursor in the path entry field and choose from the #Menu the "Browse..." Item - this will allow you to specify a valid path on your device.
    03-18-10 03:54 PM
    Any chance this application will be extended to the point it will utilize OpenStreetMaps and provide graphical maps?
    03-19-10 01:46 PM
    I need help clarifying that this program does that i intend to do..

Over the next 3months, I want to collect all information of my travels. Id like to know my speed and timings of the events.

I would like to use statistics and map data, preferrably both loaded in one program to read and analyze this data and make assumptions. The program could extrapolate speed graphs and other columns in csv format produce graphs based on time-frame (last wk, last month, last year)
    Eg. a certain 2km stretch of highway that always congested can be avoided by using a similar less problematic area.

Is this possible? I love using the program but I would appreciate any info to help the inner stat-geek in me!
    04-02-10 09:07 PM
    Any chance this application will be extended to the point it will utilize OpenStreetMaps and provide graphical maps?
    Since it's GPSLoggers philosophy to be 100% offline I do not considder to implement such a functionality...

I would like to use statistics and map data, preferrably both loaded in one program to read and analyze this data and make assumptions. The program could extrapolate speed graphs and other columns in csv format produce graphs based on time-frame (last wk, last month, last year)
    Eg. a certain 2km stretch of highway that always congested can be avoided by using a similar less problematic area.

Is this possible? I love using the program but I would appreciate any info to help the inner stat-geek in me!
    GPSLogger collects the GPS data over time (you specify the frequency) - all the collected data can be exported into various formats (incl. kml and csv) so that can be imported into other applications (GoogelMaps or Excel)...

In any case I suggest to do some test runs before you take it with you to your travel.

Matthias
    04-03-10 01:39 AM
    I posted this in a new thread before I noticed this one...

Hey I'm new...new to crackberry, new to the forums and new to my Blackberry. I downloaded GPS Logger to my Bold 9700 and can't seem to get out of this screen;

Any help navigating the app would be...
    04-12-10 06:07 PM
    with all respect - I would doubt, that this is a screen shot from my GPSLogger application
    04-13-10 12:05 AM
    I installed it on my BB Bold 9000 with ATT service and just get a message that says "waiting for GPS data..."
    I am able to use google maps with GPS with no problems at all. I also use the GPS with another application called BBGPSGolf.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the problem?
    I've got 1.7.8.0 version installed & permissions are all set to "allow".
    I set the path directory to be SDCARD/GPSLogger?
    Oh, just curious for anyone who's got it working how sensitive is the elevation measurement, and how small are the incremements?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    07-21-10 10:07 AM
    with all respect - I would doubt, that this is a screen shot from my GPSLogger application
    While an OLD message - it appears that the user may have launched one of the MAP programs (bbmaps or google) from gpslogger to see the current location on an actual MAP. I think you can do that but obviously, they were not in data range or the scale was too zoomed???
    07-21-10 10:33 AM
    wstt:

Sometimes it may take a while to acquire the gps data link. You are out in the open with a reasonable view of the sky (satellites)? If it does stall, sometimes I have fired up google or bbmaps to make sure I am getting gps data.

I have not checked its elevation increments but it has proven accurate against know maps and elevation details about trails I hike.
    07-21-10 10:36 AM
    wstt:

Sometimes it may take a while to acquire the gps data link. You are out in the open with a reasonable view of the sky (satellites)? If it does stall, sometimes I have fired up google or bbmaps to make sure I am getting gps data.

I have not checked its elevation increments but it has proven accurate against know maps and elevation details about trails I hike.
    I have tried it standing in the clear outside and let it sit there for 10 minutes. Right after I tried google maps and it identified my location in about 10 seconds.

For some reason it's just not connecting or accessing my GPS of the phone. I would say possibly ATT is blocking it, but google maps, and BBGPSGolf both work perfectly.

Possibly I did something wrong in the setup, but all I did was click on the icon next to path directory and changed it to a folder on the SD card that I created. Maybe I'll try removing and reinstalling it.

Has anyone had any issues or gotten it to work on a BB Bold 9000 and ATT? It sounds like such a great App.
    Thanks again for any help here.
    07-21-10 02:59 PM
    Generally, the programmer drops by in this thread so he may have an idea.

I just fired up my Bold\9650 and it grabbed the gps data from the second floor of my house (shingle roof). And you said you have permissions set so that's not it.

My path is nothing special:

SDCard/Blackberry/Mapping
    07-21-10 06:59 PM
    I finally got it working. Made sure all permissions were set to allow. I then rebooted phone, it didn't work. I set all permission from allowed to deny. Then rebooted phone, tried again, and it said it needed to change a few permissions which I allowed, rebooted and still didn't work. Then I set all to allow again, rebooted and now it's working.

I tested it Cental Park in NYC while jogging. The elevation part was all over the place, the general trend was correct, but while going uphill, it would spike to +60ft, then to -15 ft, then back to +30ft, but the general trend of the jumps were increasing.
    I guess it makes sense that it's least accurate for small changes in altitude or slow speeds for velocity, as any error in GPS location is large relative to a small change. (In other words if your location is off by a few feet while going slow, it;s a big difference in the speed for that interval, but if it's off by a few feet when you're going 50mph, it will not be noticed.)

What do people set their interval to? Mine is set to 5 seconds. A longer interval would be more accurate for speed and altitude, but if you want to measure a jump height in some sport, it wouldn't register it then.
    07-22-10 11:14 AM
    I don't jog with it but have used it hiking and biking. It proved to be pretty right on for hiking but biking, the elevations seem to register if I stood up on the bike as gain in some cases. I found it more accurate with my old 8830 with a Bluetooth gps than my former Tour and current bold. Hiking is still pretty accurate but I'm more concerned with the battery on hikes.

Ah, Central Park. I actually can remember being one of the first to do the bike ride around the loop roadway way back when, when they first closed it to cars on some Sunday. I still miss "Alice in Wonderland" one of my favorite places in the park. I'm clear across country and get back to NY very very infrequently. Formerly of Da Bronx.
    Last edited by F2; 07-22-10 at 04:17 PM.
    07-22-10 04:15 PM
    So for hiking the elevation really was that accurate for you, and didn't jump up and down? And you're saying if you stand up on your bike, it even registers the 1-2 feet of extra height? Wow that's accurate.
    07-23-10 04:17 PM
    I just can recommend to use GPSiesConnect to upload (private) your path to GPSies - they smooth your path and you get quite accurate values
    07-24-10 01:40 AM
    Maybe it's just my 8900 but I find that when I leave my phone in my pocket when I'm rollerblading, it has a hard time getting specific GPS values. I follow the same path out and back to my car and yet it will say I'm 15 to 20 ft away between the inward and outward bound. One day it was terrible how far off it was. It said I went almost half a mile extra because of the data.

Not that I think it's a problem with the program, just a trend I noticed. Works great on car rides and I always have it on in the background because Google Maps doesn't update my position fast enough or when I leave the screen.
    07-26-10 04:13 PM
    Maybe it's just my 8900...
    The quality /accuracy really depends from your environment - if there are plenty of trees or higher buildings the accuracy get's quite bad...

BTW:
    Yesterday I have released a maintenance update for GPSLogger - all details can be found at GPSLogger Changelog - 100% free GPS Logger & Geocaching Software for BlackBerry� Devices with OS 4.2.1 or higher
    07-27-10 12:55 AM
    I used this app today on my run and it's accurate to about 20 feet. Once the KLM file is put into google earth, it shows that I'm on the other side of the street or off the gravel path. It also went nuts and added .1km to my run once I stopped at the end. Looked like a kid got loose with a crayon. There are trees around the gravel path but near my house..it's the suburbs..nothing but my house and wide wide streets. Should be deadly accurate there IMO.

Dispite that, killer free app. The GPS inaccuracy is probably my phone (8900) to be honest. I read in this thread somebody else had an issue with the 8900 as well.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
    08-04-10 07:11 PM
    The problem as the end generally happens with any gps unless you can almost immediately stop the tracking. While they are pretty accurate, there is a certain amount of "displacement" when NOTHING is happening. I referred to a recent Garmin track at the beginning and end as "Spaghetti."

The google earth displacement is probably due to their photo alignment to some extent. I find on some mountain trails it is pretty accurate and then goes off one side or the other - this is both with gpslogger and with my garmin Dakota.
    08-04-10 11:05 PM
    The problem as the end generally happens with any gps unless you can almost immediately stop the tracking. While they are pretty accurate, there is a certain amount of "displacement" when NOTHING is happening. I referred to a recent Garmin track at the beginning and end as "Spaghetti."

The google earth displacement is probably due to their photo alignment to some extent. I find on some mountain trails it is pretty accurate and then goes off one side or the other - this is both with gpslogger and with my garmin Dakota.
    You're probably 100% right. I find that google earth isn't bang on with it's location to picture ratio.

Regardless, I'm sticking with the GPSlogger app. It's great.
    08-06-10 04:44 PM
    GPSiesConnect v.0.9
    I just wanted to let you know that after a very productive weekend I also released a new build of my GPSiesConnect application - hopefully with this build everybody (WiFI, BES, BIS, WAP) will be able to connect to the GPSies.com database and upload & download tracks... Also some GUI-enhancements where done and plenty of minor tweaks...

Update your current installation via:
    http://www.emacberry.com/ota/GPSiesConnect.jad
    10-17-10 10:49 AM
570 ... 20212223
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD