I am not sure what to report or why. I believe that my distance readings are between 15% and 20% larger than they use to be. I am not sure what it began so it might have occurred when I moved to the Tour or if in one of the recent upgrades you changed the methods for recording or calculating. I think the INTERVAL I record is the same - five seconds. The reason I think this may be occurring is many of our trails have mileage signs or I've hiked them before. The readings at the end of the hike appear to be inflated. For instance, yesterday's ski trip - it shows as about a mile longer than many other recordings I've done in the past with my Garmin 76cs and using gps-ed in the past. Again, I'm not sure about this impression so I thought I would bring it up.
    Strange - I thought i would had already reply to this one... I am getting old!

I can ensure you, that nothing inside the code have changed concerning the distance calculation... in order to find the root of the Problem (my guess goes into the direction of the Tour device itself) it would be nice, if you would share your gpl file... My assumption is cause if GPS-data inaccuracy we have plenty of "zig-zag" plots - and that mean of course, that the distance will ve calculated longer as it actually was/is...
    11-16-09 07:36 AM
    2009/11/16 - GPSLogger release of v1.7.8.0 (β)
    + The perfect pair for outdoor navigation: GPSiesConnect & GPSLogger

What's New?
    • Support for DesktopManager Backup & Restore [keep the settings of GPSLogger when you update your OS or change the device]
    • OS5.x Support added (text around SVG compass)
    • Support for Storm2

All changes can be found @ GPSLogger Changelog

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

It can happen, that your previous installation of GPSLogger does not will be replaced by the update - then please be so kind and delete the old version of GPSLogger via: Options - Extended Options - Applications

Matthias
    11-16-09 07:38 AM
    Looking around for a link to send you the file.

Ah, found contact link and file is in the email.

Thanks for checking.

Maybe you have an idea: on hikes, bikes, x-country ski, should the intervals be larger than 5 seconds for more accuracy or .....?

Oh, you still visiting the US?
    11-16-09 08:45 AM
    Looking around for a link to send you the file.

Ah, found contact link and file is in the email.

Thanks for checking.

Maybe you have an idea: on hikes, bikes, x-country ski, should the intervals be larger than 5 seconds for more accuracy or .....?

Oh, you still visiting the US?
    Hi Fred, I returned last weekend - but then spend most of the time with my family...

I took a closer look into the file - and it's exactly what I assumed - on you way up the logger have recorded quite a Zig-Zag line... and of course this is around 40-50% longer then the straight line way...

I just can assume, that other devices are interpolate/correct the actual recorded data and make the distance calculation based on these "optimized" data... -> on your way down you also see more or less a straight line done the hill - that distance should be more ore less fine [but that's difficult to proof]

For sure nothing in the code have changed concerning the distance calculations - it's always the sum between each recorded location... Just as drastic example:
    When you go 10m forward, then 20m back, 10m forward, then you have travelled 40m - even if you are still at your start point...
    11-18-09 02:02 PM
    That brings me back to the question - would longer intervals smooth it out and maybe give a more accurate distance figure? Maybe on SLOW travel, hiking/skiing, a longer interval might be better????

I may actually ski that system again this weekend so I might try a longer interval.
    11-18-09 07:02 PM
    That brings me back to the question - would longer intervals smooth it out and maybe give a more accurate distance figure? Maybe on SLOW travel, hiking/skiing, a longer interval might be better????

I may actually ski that system again this weekend so I might try a longer interval.
    If an larger value will make the result better I can't tell you - with a longer interval you get quite some short cut's when it comes to longer turns... it's difficult to decide - what you can try/do is: On your way up the hill use 10sec or 15sec and on the way down use 5sec (or less) - depending of you downhill style ;-) - you can change the interval while you are logging - or you can split the log into one "uphill" and into one "downhill" - would be nice to compare both total distances then...
    11-19-09 12:40 AM
    It's early in the season so downhill is a bit tamer than it will be latter in the season! (G)

Using Garmin's mapsource, I did split the route as much as possible and there is a difference of a mile between them - 6.3 up and 5.3 down. Time - 4 1/2 hours up, 1 1/2 hours down. 31,000 points up, 1,050 points down. Speed 1.4 up and 4 mph down!!! Those are interesting contrasts for sure.

What has Rim screwed up, ahem, changed in the Tour that the values are so different? I will change the interval and see what happens next.
    11-19-09 08:57 AM
    actually I am not sure, if RIM have broken something in the Tour - except that I have heard now multiple times, that the tour is sometimes way of (10km+) the current position...

Is my assumption correct, that on your way down the distance seams to be the accurate one? - So I guess when the way up took you aprox. 3 times longer then the way down (270min up vs. 90min down), then you should use as interval also a 3 times larger value on the way up then as on the way down... So when you use 5sec for down - use next time 15 sec for up...
    11-19-09 12:16 PM
    Well, none of the points are really off the route - no really skewed 10k points. The only editing I do in the Garmin app is to remove the beginning and end stalls before we really start moving and once back at the car and maybe the lunch since I generally don't pause it. But you can probably see that in the gpl file - no aberrant recordings.

I will tweak it for the next time out.
    11-20-09 12:18 AM
    might be that this is already the root of the problem... GPSLogger just can record what the Location API will return - if that data is WAY OFF, then there is nothing GPSLogger can do about that - Once you are on OS 5.x there is a new location API (which is optimized for areas with cell tower coverage) - it might be that there are still some bugs in the OS - but that is just a wild guess...

Also you should give the device few minutes to calibrate before you actually start with the logging procedure...
    Well I decided to try downloading GPSed to see if it would work, cause I had been looking at it for a while before finding your program, and it worked flawlessly all week working offline. Never had a single issue. So I don't think its an OS5.0 issue, unfortunately. Otherwise it seems to be a nice program.
    11-23-09 08:26 AM
    Well I decided to try downloading GPSed to see if it would work, cause I had been looking at it for a while before finding your program, and it worked flawlessly all week working offline.
    Did you run both applications simultaneously (with identical settings)?
    11-23-09 10:20 AM
    Did you run both applications simultaneously (with identical settings)?
    No I didn't, can both programs access the GPS at once? I can play around with it for a bit if you want me to, to try and recreate it. Just let me know what you want me to try.
    11-23-09 01:02 PM
    No I didn't, can both programs access the GPS at once? I can play around with it for a bit if you want me to, to try and recreate it. Just let me know what you want me to try.
    sorry that it took me so long to reply...

Actually, when you do not had run both applications at the same time you can not really know/judge, if one of the recording the data better then another...

If course I do not know, that other applications doing - I just can say, that GPSLogger simply recording the data 1:1 that is provided by the GPS-API from the BlacbBerry. So when the data seams to be unlogical, then the API is already providing silly values... If other applications have additional checks/silly data clean-up routines I do not know.
    11-27-09 06:40 AM
    I went skiing last week and here are my maps on google earth
    recorded with sportypal for BB
    Workout Details | SportyPal
    02-11-10 06:56 AM
    Excellent post and right on the subject...
    02-11-10 07:55 AM
    How would you configure the waypoint setting (When reached and Distance to next) for different uses? For example the default is 15M/250M, what would I use for offroading, as opposed to running?

also, is there a way once you upload the path to Google maps to only display the path and not the waypoints?
    02-11-10 09:58 AM
    How would you configure the waypoint setting (When reached and Distance to next) for different uses? For example the default is 15M/250M, what would I use for offroading, as opposed to running?
    Well that also depends from your sample rate...

So depening how many meters/miles you travel in one sample rate you should set the initial value... when you travel with a speed of 7m per second (and have 1sec sample rate), then 15M is a good value...

also, is there a way once you upload the path to Google maps to only display the path and not the waypoints?
    �good question
    02-11-10 10:13 AM
    I have to say this program is the best and I am really thankful for it. I use it every time I go hiking to mark trails and trailheads because most in my area are not well documented.

In regards to the above I know in Google earth you can choose only the paths when using a .gpx or .kml file. You could open your files in Google earth and remove everything but the tracks then save them.
    02-14-10 04:19 PM
    I have to say this program is the best and I am really thankful for it. I use it every time I go hiking to mark trails and trailheads because most in my area are not well documented..
    just a courious question - do you also use GPSiesConnect to upload/share your recorded trails?
    02-15-10 03:23 AM
    No I never really liked many of the social sites I do it mainly for myself and a local hiking club. I started the project in November of last year and thus far only have a few trails completely mapped (The weather has been horrible in Western NC) but once I get a large number done I will look into making a catalog online for people to view.
    02-15-10 04:48 PM
    Okay, a new need after a rather, well, interesting hike the other day - can gpslogger turn off if the battery goes down to 10-15% so that lost hikers (me and friends) can still use the BB to call for rescue. Or at least preserve battery for spot checking rather than logging.

While it was not that bad I should have stopped earlier in this marathon "lost fest" and turned off gpslogger (in my daypack so not being viewed). Rather when I finally was ready to admit where I was NOT, it was too late and the Tour was completely depleted.

I will credit the gpslogger autosave for logging the first 8 miles. It just missed the last 5.5 miles.

Would this be something that can be implemented (if there is demand (applause, please)) without too many other penalities?

Thanks for considering.
    03-08-10 08:16 PM
    Okay, a new need after a rather, well, interesting hike the other day - can gpslogger turn off if the battery goes down to 10-15% so that lost hikers (me and friends) can still use the BB to call for rescue. Or at least preserve battery for spot checking rather than logging.

Would this be something that can be implemented (if there is demand (applause, please)) without too many other penalities?
    Thanks for your suggestion - it really sounds like a really sense full additional feature in the options. I'll put this on my "TODO" list and hopefully in a silent minute I will implement this one.
    03-09-10 01:30 AM
    Thanks for considering it. And I hope you find a few silent minutes when you can actually do NOTHING - they can help reinvigorate us.
    03-09-10 08:48 AM
    i just put this on my curve and i get this error. (error starting com_emacberry_gps logger:module'net_rim_m2g' not found )

??
    03-09-10 11:48 AM
    i just put this on my curve and i get this error. (error starting com_emacberry_gps logger:module'net_rim_m2g' not found )

??
    probably you have installed the OS4.6 version in a sub 4.6 OS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-10 12:42 PM
570 ... 1920212223
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD