Yay for the "Paused" overlay!

I got to try out the NaviPath feature this evening - very cool. The one thing I noticed in my testing was that as I drove along the same path (same direction as original recording), it did very well. I loved how as the road curved, so did the direction arrow.

When following the path in reverse, I noticed there were times when it would point behind me. I am assuming this is because with the median (or double lanes) I was not within the waypoint reached setting. It would jump to the next waypoint shortly afterwards, so it wasn't a big deal (works as it is supposed to). I figure I'll adjust the waypoint reached number and test again later.

This is something that I wish BB Maps or Google Maps had built into it. Once you reach a waypoint (in the case of BB/GMaps, a change in directions), they should automatically display the directions for the next step. I always hated having to press a button to go to the next step in the directions.

Is there a keyboard shortcut for marking a location?
    Last edited by Xopher; 08-21-09 at 09:00 PM.
    08-21-09 08:26 PM
    Yay for the "Paused" overlay!
    for some reason this cause problems on other devices - I will change the font to "none" outline in the next release for sub OS4.6 - I hope that's acceptable...

When following the path in reverse, I noticed there were times when it would point behind me. I am assuming this is because with the median (or double lanes) I was not within the waypoint reached setting. It would jump to the next waypoint shortly afterwards, so it wasn't a big deal (works as it is supposed to). I figure I'll adjust the waypoint reached number and test again later.
    yes that could happen on wider roads... I have written this for outdoor navigation (so actually normally the trail you are walking/biking is not a 8 lane motorway :-) But your approach adjusting the "waypoint reached" setting is exactly the right approach.

Is there a keyboard shortcut for marking a location?
    not yet - I'll check, if there is a key combination left - then I will build this in for you.

thanks for your feedback concerning the navigation functionality!
    08-22-09 02:20 AM
    I have adjusted the layout of the Direction view and I would like to hear your opinion, about the new layout - if i should add an option to toggle between the previous and the new layout or if I simply should change the default implementation to the new (IMHO better readable) layout.

what's your opinion?
    08-22-09 04:52 AM
    2009/08/23 - GPSLogger release of v1.7(β)
    + The perfect pair for outdoor navigation: GPSiesConnect & GPSLogger

With the initial release of the new application GPSiesConnect a new version of GPSLogger becomes available that allows GPSLogger directly to interact with GPSiesConnect and vice versa.

What's New?
    • Layout of Direction View reorganized: Now the information will be displayed in the four corners around the compass:
      • lower left: Course to waypoint
      • lower right: Distance to waypoint (above the distance you see the ETA at the waypoint)
      • upper left: distance to target (Navigation mode) / current Latitude & Longitude (Geocaching mode)
      • upper right: ETA at target (Navigation mode) / waypoint Latitude & Longitude (Geocaching mode)

A preview of this new layout can be found here in this thread (previous post).
    • New 'Appearance & Startup' Option: "Display foolproof paused info" toggle the large 'paused' display on/off (default: OFF) - important for those who liked this new option of v1.6.5 -> you have to enable it in the options!
    • New keyboard short cut: [Q|W]: Mark current location
    • Sort order will be saved between GPSLogger sessions

What's Fixed?
    • Sort by Distance will list nearest Location first
    • Sort by Name is case insensitive

All changes can be found @ GPSLogger Changelog

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

It can happen, that your previous installation of GPSLogger does not will be replaced by the update - then please be so kind and delete the old version of GPSLogger via: Options - Extended Options - Applications

Matthias
    08-23-09 05:24 AM
    2009/08/28 - GPSLogger minor update to v1.7.1(β)
    + The perfect pair for outdoor navigation: GPSiesConnect & GPSLogger

What's Fixed?
    • My apologize - never use WHILE statements when you are not sure, if the condition ever can become false - I have put that in my pipe and smoked it - the freezes had nothing to do with "older devices" or anything like that. The problem occurred in unlucky combinations of default device font settings and the GPSLogger font selection.
      I have corrected the code and thanks to the help of Joachim the problem is fixed now.
    • Logger does not stop logging anymore when distance signal is used (was reported by users in the forum)

All changes can be found @ GPSLogger Changelog

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

It can happen, that your previous installation of GPSLogger does not will be replaced by the update - then please be so kind and delete the old version of GPSLogger via: Options - Extended Options - Applications

Matthias
    08-28-09 03:13 AM
    I have to say the new layout is much better. I like having everything viewable around the compass. It's nice to have the estimated waypoint time as well. It also seems to respond better.

There is only one pet peeve I see on the display. It's not something you have to change, but it is something that catches my eye. Anytime a duration drops below one minute, just the seconds are displayed. Back when the estimated time was displayed across the compass, I would lose sight of it as it blended in with the other numbers.

What I am used to seeing is a colon in front of the seconds. So, if it is over a minute, it would be something like "1:32", and when less than a minute, it would be like ":43". What is currently displayed is "43" without the time descriptor. It's not a big deal - just thought I would bring it to your attention.

I'm taking the bike out this weekend and am loading in a couple of scenic routes to try. I'll be very interested to see how this does on the bike (I have a comfort cradle on the handlebars for the BB).
    08-28-09 11:11 PM
    What I am used to seeing is a colon in front of the seconds. So, if it is over a minute, it would be something like "1:32", and when less than a minute, it would be like ":43". What is currently displayed is "43" without the time descriptor. It's not a big deal - just thought I would bring it to your attention.
    that should be not a big deal to implement this... even if it might take some days till the next version will be released (cause there need to be at least a small set of additional things)

I'm taking the bike out this weekend and am loading in a couple of scenic routes to try. I'll be very interested to see how this does on the bike (I have a comfort cradle on the handlebars for the BB).
    Awaiting your feedback - and I also hope that others will also upload new tracks to gpsies.com via GPSiesConnect
    08-29-09 01:47 AM
    I like the new layout better too. I do think there should be some labeling above/below the numbers as it's not obvious at first glance what the different times and distances refer too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-09 11:05 AM
    a label will be IMHO waste of display space - I agree with you that's not obvious, what means what - that should be documented in the manual (have to be done - any volunteers?)...
    08-29-09 11:19 AM
    a label will be IMHO waste of display space - I agree with you that's not obvious, what means what - that should be documented in the manual (have to be done - any volunteers?)...
    The problem is that those four corners and what goes there seems to change depending on whether you are viewing a recorded path, a NaviPath, the Compass View, Direction view, etc. Maybe a small icon instead so it wouldn't use much space? Like a flying bird to indicate as-the-crow-flies distance, an x on a map to indicate line distance to finish, and something else (your 3 circles?) for distance to waypoint.

I'm just thinking about the interface and how confusing it can be to a new user of GPSLogger. You could have "Display labels" as an option so that more experienced users could turn off the visual help if needed.
    08-29-09 02:07 PM
    for sure I see your point - icons are not so easy cause of my limited 2D artist skills - and yes sure these values keep changing depending on the view & mode... let's start with an documentation first
    08-30-09 01:43 AM
    Could you add a function to record maximum speed? Actually it would be perfect if you could make a "speed screen" that would display just the current speed and maximum speed in a large font, with an easy way to reset the maximum speed.

I would make a nice donation if you could do this for me!!!
    09-01-09 08:36 AM
    how can i display distance as for running.
    09-01-09 12:56 PM
    I went out biking (motorcycle) this past weekend, loaded up a route through the Smoky Mountains and the Nav Path feature worked wonderfully. I would switch back and forth between Direction and Path view to make sure I was following the correct path. I'm really liking the layout.
    09-03-09 04:49 PM
    how can i display distance as for running.
    I am sorry - but I do not understand your question - what are you looking for? You mean the distance you have travel?

I went out biking (motorcycle) this past weekend, loaded up a route through the Smoky Mountains and the Nav Path feature worked wonderfully. I would switch back and forth between Direction and Path view to make sure I was following the correct path. I'm really liking the layout.
    Thanks for this nice feedback - I hope you have used the keyshortcut [D] and [SHIFT]+[D] for the display change
    09-03-09 11:19 PM
    Yes, I did! I also used the new Q key for marking waypoints as I went. The keyboard shortcuts come in extremly handy!
    09-04-09 07:52 AM
    I just downloaded this to my Tour. I'll give you feedback too.
    09-04-09 10:10 AM
    I love this program! I d/l the other day and now I cvan't get enough of it! What a great tool!

Thanks!
    09-04-09 04:43 PM
    I tried this on my tour, but I am having 3 problems. First is that I cannot set the save path. In options, it says specify, and I click, but no path becomes available to choose.

The second problem is that when I stop navigation, I get java.lang.NullPointerException. I suspect because I have no save path?

The third problem is the distance. I biked maybe 40km but the software showed over 200km! Any ideas?

I'd love to find a way to get this working right.

09-05-09 07:43 AM
    In options/settings did you setup the path where files will be saved? I save to my SD card.

I've generally found the distance figure to be very accurate (elevation gain less so unless on a very steep trail). If you lost satellite lock at some point on your trip (tunnel, etc) the gps might have gotten one very bad reading that places the path very askew. A path (log) would be able to show that anomaly.
    09-05-09 10:59 AM
    F2 - I am unable to browse the path for some reason, and if I try to type Media Card, the space comes out as a period. Not sure why I can't type a space. Any ideas?

Thanks!

09-06-09 07:31 AM
    Oops, setting the path was due to an application permissions setting. I wasn't allowing access to files. I am now able to set the save path. Now to test again, hopefully it will be more accurate.

09-06-09 07:34 AM
    The third problem is the distance. I biked maybe 40km but the software showed over 200km! Any ideas?
    as you might could also read in emacberry.com froum, the Tour seams to have a serious problem with the GPS data - it looks like that for what every reason there are locations, that are way off your current area... only RIM knows why this is the case...
    09-06-09 01:15 PM
    thanks for this great program Matthias. I am going to try it out for a while, and I'll report back!

--one question, how long 'til it works with the Storm 2 after it's release?
    Last edited by anymanusa; 09-06-09 at 04:58 PM.
    09-06-09 04:29 PM
    --one question, how long 'til it works with the Storm 2 after it's release?
    This depends on the number of bugs in the Storm2 OS... IF RIM is doing their job correctly, then it should run right away... we will see
    09-07-09 12:31 AM
570 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD