right now I am not sure, if we are going to see something like this in the future... right now it's not obvious for me, how that can be implemented - even if it's sounds like a lame excuse - but some areas of the device are still a mystery to me - and since I do not have a Bluetooth Puck in my hands it's very difficult for me to implement something like that. And I hope you understand, that I am not planing to buy one just to be able to implement such a feature - if somebody with such a device come by (or send a puck temp to me) then this would be a different story.
    08-04-09 12:49 PM
    How does one keep the gps going when the tour goes into standby

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 01:45 PM
    Hello,

Just wondering how easy/hard it would be to include some lap timing functions?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/lap-timing-113349/

Some examples of other programs:

Trackmaster - Welcome

RaceChrono - The GPS Lap Timer

Thanks,

Jay
    08-07-09 12:27 PM
    I have that on my agenda for quite a long time... we will see, if and when this will happen - right now I am slightly busy with another project and awaiting feedback concerning the new nav function...
    08-07-09 02:14 PM
    Location Manager - I just returned from a trip, and I'd like to 'manage' my saved locations. The order appears to be newest on top, which is not useful to me as it appears jumbled since I had to go back to edit location names. Is there a way to sort locations, like furthest north at the top of the list, or furthest west at the top of the list? Also would like to create folders to put related locations into. Thanks.
    08-08-09 08:46 AM
    I am sorry - but none of the lists supports any kind of sorting (yet) - also the option to support subfolders is something that might come in future releases...
    08-08-09 01:44 PM
    I really like the 'distance to saved locations' feature you've put in - I mark my favorite rest stops and gas stations on my regular long distance routes. Just pull up the saved list and you got the distance to the next rest stop. But it's sometimes hard to drive and hunt for location in a jumbled list of locations, so please consider some kind of sorting in a future update! If I could put the locations in sequence, I'd just go up or down the list in a sorted subdirectory. Thanks for your work!
    08-08-09 04:02 PM
    I hate to request features that may only be useful to me, but would it be possible for the timing display to show the GPS time in hh:mm:ss? I use the software to geotag my pictures and it would be nice to be able to take a picture of the BB at the beginning of a trip and be able to offset the time on the camera and the time on the locations.

Even without it, it's still an amazing program to give away like this. Thanks a million.
    08-09-09 04:56 PM
    The timestamps that are recorded with GPSLogger does not come from the gps-signal - they come from the actual time of your BlackBerry - so sync the Time of the BB and your camera should be sufficient.
    08-10-09 12:20 AM
    2009/08/16 - GPSLogger release of v1.6 public β
    + The perfect pair for outdoor navigation: GPSiesConnect & GPSLogger

With the initial release of the new application GPSiesConnect a new version of GPSLogger becomes available that allows GPSLogger directly to interact with GPSiesConnect and vice versa.

What's New?
    • Uploading a recorded path to the GPSies.com website* [accessible via the Path-Manager]
    • Search the GPSies.com database for tracks that are nearby your current location* [accessible via the Main Menu]
    • Compass View for OS 4.2+
    • Complete new rendering of the Compass for OS 4.2+
    • Outdoor Navigation Key shortcuts (Main Window)
      - [SPACE]: Next Waypoint
      - [DEL]: Previous Waypoint
      - [SHIFT]+[R]: Reset Navigation
      - [SHIFT]+[I]: Reverse (invert) Navigation Path
    • New Option: Record only GPS-locations with Speed (logging will only record a point if the current speed is > 0.01 m/s)

* requires the installation of GPSiesConnect

What's Fixed?
    • LocationManager: Enter a location in raw mode will accept again '.' chars (not numeric anymore)
    • LocationManager: Create a new Location: Degree-Input-Field will accept 3 digits
    • Import: Support for <wpt> tag for GPX import
    • Outdoor Navigation: Waypoint(+) [SPACE] will select the NEXT waypoint (that comes after the one that is currently ahead) - You can't step more forward then the "next" WP (similar to "back")

All changes can be found @ GPSLogger Changelog

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

It can happen, that your previous installation of GPSLogger does not will be replaced by the update - then please be so kind and delete the old version of GPSLogger via: Options - Extended Options - Applications

Matthias
    08-16-09 09:11 AM
    pretty cool
    08-16-09 05:53 PM
    Ok, I just got back from a weeklong vacation. I had a chance to use GPSLogger a lot for the 9-hour drive . Here are some notes from the trip. You released a new version after I got back, so all these comments are about version 1.5. Lots of suggestions, so I hope it's not overwhelming...

1. I love the Timing feature when recording new paths. It's great to see how long I've been driving, distance traveled, current speed, and average speed in large font on one screen. I used it to try to keep up with a particular average speed over the course of the trip.

I do want to suggest that you resize the compass or only display the top half of it on the Timing screen. The text covers the graphic and can be difficult to read, as you can see in my pictures.

2. Marked places should count as waypoints. I marked a few places over the course of my 575 mile trip, but only one waypoint was generated. It's good to know that a particular spot is only xx miles away.

3. You cannot Mark places after you have stopped logging. This is my biggest beef with Marked locations. It's difficult to mark them while driving, yet I can't go back and mark a location later on. You also cannot edit/delete a marked location after it's been created.

4. Marked places can be difficult to read. in the first image below, it's hard to see the dot where I 12 West is on the map. I suggest using a marker like a big red * on the line so it's easier to see that point. You also need to block out the text so that when it's on a line, you can still read it. And as you can see from my second picture, reading Marked locations is very difficult when in night mode.

Day Mode:

Night Mode:

5. Navipath waypoints. I tried to use the NaviPath functions, and read through your documentation, but it didn't really work the way I expected on the trip. After I had finished my logged trip, there was only one waypoint for 575 miles. There were also weird symbols. What are the triangles for?

My single waypoint:

Triangle pointing up:

Triangle pointing down:

6. Export needs a Cancel button. These long files (2.9 MB for this trip) take a while to export. There should be a Cancel option in case the user changes their mind.
    08-17-09 11:52 AM
    first of all thank you for your valuable feeback!

1. I love the Timing feature when recording new paths. ... I do want to suggest that you resize the compass or only display the top half of it on the Timing screen. The text covers the graphic and can be difficult to read, as you can see in my pictures.
    I am a bit confused here - in "Timing View" there is no compass - and then there is the "Direction View" -> the ones of your screenshots... So could you please be so kind and repeat what you like to have/see in which view?

2. Marked places should count as waypoints. I marked a few places over the course of my 575 mile trip, but only one waypoint was generated. It's good to know that a particular spot is only xx miles away.
    All points along your path are potential waypoints (no matter if they are named or not)... I just can assume, that your problem/missunderstanding was/is that you needed to load your path in "reverse mode" ... since you are travelling backwards - from the END to the START of your previously recorded path...

3. You cannot Mark places after you have stopped logging. This is my biggest beef with Marked locations. It's difficult to mark them while driving, yet I can't go back and mark a location later on. You also cannot edit/delete a marked location after it's been created.
    right - the concept is you are logging (all is saved in device memory) and once you stop logging all data will be written to the FileSystem... Allowing to add locations after you have stopped logging could be implemented - But how you you know, which point on the path is "where"??? -> My suggestion here is to give your co-pilot the task of operating the logging device ;-)

4. Marked places can be difficult to read. in the first image below, it's hard to see the dot where I 12 West is on the map. I suggest using a marker like a big red * on the line so it's easier to see that point. You also need to block out the text so that when it's on a line, you can still read it. And as you can see from my second picture, reading Marked locations is very difficult when in night mode.
    Thanks for the mentioning the "night" mode problem - I will see, what I can do (also concerning the better marking of the point on the path itself)

5. Navipath waypoints. I tried to use the NaviPath functions, and read through your documentation, but it didn't really work the way I expected on the trip. After I had finished my logged trip, there was only one waypoint for 575 miles.
    actaully as said above I just can assume you haven't loaded the navigation path in the "right" direction - in GPSLogger there is a key shortcut to reverse (inverse) the loaded navigation path... Would be interesting to know, if that would do the trick for you?

There were also weird symbols. What are the triangles for?
    you mean the triangle behind the ETA?

Even if you do not have to run the logger while you are following another path it can have some benefits. When you are using the outdoor navigation function of GPSLogger you will have in the Timing-View and in the direction view additional information about the distance along the path between your current position and the final end point and depending on your current speed the estimated time of arrival (ETA).

Calculating the ETA based on the current speed only can be quite inaccurate. When you are actually logging GPSLogger can use your average speed to calculate the ETA - in most of the cases this will be way more accurate. But there is more - when the ETA will be calculated based on the average speed then you will see an additional up/down arrow behind the ETA. This arrow depends on your current speed compared to the average speed - when you are actually faster then the current average speed, then the calculated ETA will be finally smaller and vice versa.
    6. Export needs a Cancel button. These long files (2.9 MB for this trip) take a while to export. There should be a Cancel option in case the user changes their mind.
    even if I fully understand your request it will be difficult to implement - I just can recommend (when you are doing a long trip): decrease the sample rate - also I just can suggest to make some breaks - the longest LOG I have seen was over 9 days of constant logging... Export took over 35min... The question is, what you want to do after you have cancel the export? [wait for a better moment?]

Once again thanks for your feedback!

Matthias
    08-17-09 01:46 PM
    Oops you're right, it was the Direction screen.

I did do the reverse NaviPath since I was returning home. The only waypoint it had was about 20 miles from the finish. How are waypoints calculated? I still think also using marked places as manual waypoints would be helpful.

It's actually pretty easy to figure out where you need to mark the spot. If you're at a place you stopped, your speed is zero. I was marking freeway interchanges where there was usually a slight change in direction, so those are easier to spot too. And since I can't edit the Marked locations, with my luck my girlfriend would misspell it if I had her doing the marking.

Thanks for the triangle explanation. Is the ETA based on as-the-crow-flies distance or distance based on the remaining path?

Also, keyboard shortcuts are helpful, but I accidently paused a recording while on a fishing trip. Adding an option to Confirm on Stop/Pause logging would help that.

And here's a gentle reminder of my request to sort Locations and Path files alphabetically instead of creation date.
    08-17-09 04:18 PM
    Oops you're right, it was the Direction screen.
    The "problem" (or might be just the lame excuse from the developer) are the different display sizes that you need to support - My goal was to make the font as large as possible (same for the compass diameter)... at the end of the day there is "too" much info (or at least too much additional text that I want to have in a large font)... The outline font style is not the best solution but was working for me on my Storm quite good - But I agree that there is room for improvement - but I am not sure how that will finally will look like...

I did do the reverse NaviPath since I was returning home. The only waypoint it had was about 20 miles from the finish.
    That's quite strange behaviour and from here I can't tell you what might have gone wrong - just for my records what have been your outdoor navigation settings in the GPSLogger options...

How are waypoints calculated? I still think also using marked places as manual waypoints would be helpful.
    I think I will add a new section to the outdoor navigation docu - once it's there I will let you know.

It's actually pretty easy to figure out where you need to mark the spot. If you're at a place you stopped, your speed is zero. I was marking freeway interchanges where there was usually a slight change in direction, so those are easier to spot too. And since I can't edit the Marked locations, with my luck my girlfriend would misspell it if I had her doing the marking.
    Well then it looks easier for me to exchange the girlfriend (when she can't type anyhow) - We will see what can be done about marking points on a path afterwards....

Thanks for the triangle explanation. Is the ETA based on as-the-crow-flies distance or distance based on the remaining path?
    ETA while having a navigation path loaded (and being on the path) is based in the path you have to travel (and not just on the simple distance to the point)...

Also, keyboard shortcuts are helpful, but I accidently paused a recording while on a fishing trip. Adding an option to Confirm on Stop/Pause logging would help that.
    actually pause does not hurt that much - it's STOP that might can need an additional confirmation (if enabled in the options)... I'll put that on my list.

And here's a gentle reminder of my request to sort Locations and Path files alphabetically instead of creation date.
    When I got the reply notification yesterday that was my first thought when I was reading about a new post from you
    Last edited by emacf1; 08-18-09 at 03:32 AM.
    08-18-09 02:08 AM
    How are waypoints calculated?
    actually I just have reviewed the provided documentation and there is honestly nothing that I could add from my side - it describes in all details how outdoor navigation is working and how the "next" waypoint will be calculated...

I just can recommend to take again a look to Outdoor navigation documentation - specially the sections:
    - How Path-Mode works?
    - How GPSLogger will calculate the next waypoint?

I just have adjusted the docu to the new keyborad shortcut [SHIFT]+[R] - might be that this had be the only thing you had to do - reset the navigation - in v1.5 this was key shortcut [SPACE] (now in 1.6 it's [SHIFT]+[R])
    08-18-09 02:58 AM
    For the Compass, I suggest only showing the top half (imagine a capital D turned sideways) since that's the important part. Another option is to have the text have a white instead of a transparent background. You can also have the compass side by side with the text and have each text info part on a different line.

I haven't changed any of the NaviPath settings. I must have had bad luck on that trip because coming to work today I tested the NaviPath thing and it seemed to work fine. Oh well. I read the docs again and understand it better now. BTW there's a typo on the Outdoor Nav Settings screen. It has "considdered".

Oh, another suggestion. When having the NaviPath, I noticed that you have the distance to the next waypoint shown. It would be nice if the distance to finish and the distance to any marked locations were also shown in () next to each item.

The pause keyboard shortcut does matter when you don't notice it for a while. I was logging a fishing trip and have this nice big gap when I pulled it into Google Earth. It really sucks because we stopped at a really good fishing spot during that time.

Glad you're still thinking of me and my alphabetizing request.

I was also looking through your other documentation and just wanted to say, you've done a good job of writing a manual for GPSLogger.
    Last edited by nobius; 08-18-09 at 03:34 PM.
    08-18-09 03:20 PM
    Oh, another suggestion. When having the NaviPath, I noticed that you have the distance to the next waypoint shown. It would be nice if the distance to finish and the distance to any marked locations were also shown in () next to each item.
    Could you please rephrase this since I do not understand waht you actually mean

Matthias

PS: Except of the sort issue the things you have mentioned should be fixed/solved (incl. mark locations after logging was stoped)
    08-19-09 03:51 AM
    Could you please rephrase this since I do not understand waht you actually mean

Matthias

PS: Except of the sort issue the things you have mentioned should be fixed/solved (incl. mark locations after logging was stoped)
    Great! Can't wait to see the new version.

As for my suggestion, I'd like to have the distance to marked locations shown just like you have it for waypoints. That way you can see how far it is to a marked location from your current spot when looking at the Path. It would also be good to display the distance to the Finish on the Path as well.

Here's an example:
    Code:
          New York (25 mi)                Boston (450 mi)                Finish (800 mi)
    -o--------X-----------------------------X------------------------------X

My waypoints still isn't always working for some of my logs. I'm going to try rerecording some of my paths and see if that fixes it.
    08-19-09 01:14 PM
    Possibly a solution to the paused recording is to have somewhere, larger text across the screen that says "Paused" (or even a large "II" overlay). That way, when you look at the screen, you can tell that it is not recording at the moment.
    Last edited by Xopher; 08-19-09 at 05:06 PM.
    08-19-09 05:01 PM
    I like that idea!
    08-20-09 02:26 AM
    2009/08/20 - GPSLogger release of v1.6.5(β)
    + The perfect pair for outdoor navigation: GPSiesConnect & GPSLogger

With the initial release of the new application GPSiesConnect a new version of GPSLogger becomes available that allows GPSLogger directly to interact with GPSiesConnect and vice versa.

What's New?
    • When recording is 'paused' a large info will be displayed on all views
    • New key short cut [O] in Path & Location Manager: Change Sort order [Time|Name|Distance]
    • Mark Locations of loaded paths - this allows you to mark locations of a previously recorded path.
    • New Option "Confirm Pause and Stop while recording" (default OFF): In order to avoid unwanted breaks in your logging session.
    • New Option "Automatic name for 'pause'" (default ON): When pause your recording the location will get automatically the name 'pause'.
    • Additional textual course information in Compass View (lower left corner)

What's Fixed?
    • Improved visibility of text information in direction view (none outline)
    • Improved visibility of marked locations along the path (thicker dot)
    • Compass View Menu Entry for OS 4.2.1+ (was missing before)
    • Compass pointing now really to NORTH for OS 4.2.1+ version

All changes can be found @ GPSLogger Changelog

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

It can happen, that your previous installation of GPSLogger does not will be replaced by the update - then please be so kind and delete the old version of GPSLogger via: Options - Extended Options - Applications

Matthias
    08-20-09 04:05 AM
    Rocking! I like the compass display changes. It's much easier to read now.

I noticed that the sort order isn't saved when exiting and relaunching GPSLogger. And I'm inside now so can't test, but I can't remember if the distance sort was nearest point or furthest point. Nearest would be the best.
    08-20-09 12:04 PM
    yes - sorting is not stored (yet) - but at least I wanted to give you something... and also agree, that the sort order for distance should be reversed (right now nearest it at the bottom -> will be on top in the next release)... -> also sorting by name should be case independent (which is not the case right now)
    08-20-09 12:46 PM
    yes - sorting is not stored (yet) - but at least I wanted to give you something... and also agree, that the sort order for distance should be reversed (right now nearest it at the bottom -> will be on top in the next release)... -> also sorting by name should be case independent (which is not the case right now)
    Eggcellent. I'll wait a while before throwing any other ideas at you.
    08-20-09 05:00 PM
570 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD