Did you see #2 regarding sorting?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 10:33 AM
    Hi,
    I downloaded the last version of the program and gave it a try.

Probably I don't understand how it works but "directions" is quite unusable for me
    It seems that tracking is working great but directions... not.

I loaded a location previously saved and this are my disappointments:
    • in the tracking path I cannot see the location.... out of bounds and I don't know how to make it visible.....
    • when I switch to "direction" view the direction pad is blocked even if I move by steps at a certain speed.... sometimes it moves... (every 20 seconds) but I'm not sure that the direction shown is mine... it looks like the start point direction of my path!!!

I expected the pad more reactive... like the path view for example... and if possible, to see something that could make me sure that the destination is loaded correctly.... for example a title saying "Direction to <locationid>"...

Thanks for your work
    06-22-09 04:52 AM
    1)
    the loaded location will be only visible in the Path view when it's the the current range (when logging) - I could add an option which adjust the scale once a location is loaded (so that you always "see" the loaded location as well)...

2)
    I dont't actually understand what you mean with 'direction "pad"' - what's this pad you are talking about? - and when it only updates every 20sec - then please be so kind and check your update frequency in the options (that might be set to 20sec?)

3)
    displaying the coordinates of the loaded location (in the direction view) could indeed help.

4)
    it looks like the start point direction of my path!!!
    Each time when you actually "start logging" a previously loaded location will be indeed replaced with the first point where you have started the logging... -> so you will be always quided to your start point when in logging mode. When you want to log & to be guided into a user defined location, then you have to load the location after you have started the logging....
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-22-09 at 05:54 AM.
    06-22-09 05:51 AM
    Ok it looks like a bug:
    I start logging, then I load a previously saved location.
    In the direction view the distance from loaded location is shown immediately.
    The problem is that after only five seconds (update time??) the start point of path is loaded and location is lost.
    I tried a lot of times and it is always the same!
    With direction pad I meant direction view... Sorry for my English.

I know this is the wrong place to talk about Filescout...but I want to tell you that sending files via bt is not working: there is always empty: with media explorer BT is working normally.

Thank you
    Umberto

06-22-09 02:53 PM
    I start logging, then I load a previously saved location. In the direction view the distance from loaded location is shown immediately. The problem is that after only five seconds (update time??) the start point of path is loaded and location is lost.
    Yes I can confirm this - looks like a bug indeed - thanks for the report... Will be fixed in the next release.

I know this is the wrong place to talk about Filescout...but I want to tell you that sending files via bt is not working: there is always empty: with media explorer BT is working normally.
    Indeed totally wrong place... -> if you want to report an issue then use this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/bbf...tories-175654/
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-22-09 at 03:25 PM.
    06-22-09 03:10 PM
    I may have missed this-looked through most of the posts. When I import a kml file into google earth there is a big variation of path. I'm using it for cycling. If I'm riding road it lays over with what looks like about 100ft in any direction-rarely laying right on the road. I am using 5 sec sampling. Is this a setting thing or just how it works?
    Great app for sure-thanks.
    06-23-09 11:36 PM
    I may have missed this-looked through most of the posts. When I import a kml file into google earth there is a big variation of path. I'm using it for cycling. If I'm riding road it lays over with what looks like about 100ft in any direction-rarely laying right on the road. I am using 5 sec sampling. Is this a setting thing or just how it works?
    Great app for sure-thanks.
    For a bike ride my suggestion is to go down to 1sec of sampling rate - but please have in mind, that at certain places the google earth sat images are slightly miss aligned - they have a small but noticeable offset (I live in such an area) - When I enable also the vector street overlayer, then my recorded path and this streets match quite exactly - of course this is just a wild guess.
    06-24-09 12:24 AM
    thanks for the quick response. I'll try that with the sampling rate. Is the vector street overlayer in your program or on google earth?
    06-24-09 09:09 AM
    thanks for the quick response. I'll try that with the sampling rate. Is the vector street overlayer in your program or on google earth?
    The overlay is in GoogleEarth... [no maps in GPSLogger (yet)]
    06-24-09 09:50 AM
    Keep the maps out of it. The lightweight of the app means less battery drain. Trek Buddy has the maps if you need them. Trek Buddy with maps drains me in 2 hours, but a topo with GPS is invaluable when you can barely see the sky in the bottom of the canyon. That is Trek Buddies job, give me a quick area map. I can run your app all day when I am out prospecting with the cell radio turned off, marking paths and points without sucking the battery down.
    06-25-09 01:07 PM
    ... no worries - IF I would implements something like that there will be for sure the option to turn that off completely... but actually I haven't made my mind up yet... currently I a some sort of busy with my other app BBFileScout.

Matthias
    06-25-09 01:35 PM
    ... no worries - IF I would implements something like that there will be for sure the option to turn that off completely... but actually I haven't made my mind up yet... currently I a some sort of busy with my other app BBFileScout.

Matthias
    Sweet. This app has come a long way, I would hate to see it go in some crazy direction. Most of these GPS apps either require data (not possible in the High Sierra) or use ungodly amounts of power.
    06-25-09 02:12 PM
    A low priority request would be for an option to have KML of an exported path include the real time in the CDATA, instead of in the TimeStamp, maybe swap real time with elapsed time between CDATA and TimeStamp.

If I were to use this touristing around a place, it might be more meaningful afterwards, when looking at the path in Google Earth, to see when I was at a particular point, instead of how long it took me to get there from when I first started logging that path.

Other times I'm more interested in seeing how long it took me to get from one point to another, and in that case the elpased time would be better in CDATA.

So an option used when exporting to kml of which time field to use in the CDATA would be nice.

When you run out of other things to do.
    06-26-09 02:11 PM
    excuse me in advance, if I have misunderstood your post - but in the KML file there is for each recorded point the exact time stored [it's correct that it's not included in the CDATA/HTML section - but GoogleEarth is able to display you the time when you have been where]
    06-26-09 02:23 PM
    I can't find that but I'll take your word on it. I'm probably doing something wrong then. Maybe it's an option I haven't set in GE, I also get weird behavior when I check the "Path records with timestamps", some times the whole path will fill up with small yellow dots for each of the placemarks, but more often than not the whole path will flash with them, but then any after the first 125 or so will disappear.

So maybe I need to get the latest version of GE, or maybe my PC is just snarfled

nevermind on the mod request.

great app by the way, thanks for doing it.
    06-26-09 06:45 PM
    first of all any changes/feature request is appreciated... but before I am going to start to implement it I need to understand the reason...

Concerning the timestamps: Please see the attached image:

1. Check the box before the 'Path records with timestamp'
    2. in this moment the "timeline bar" in GoogleEarth will be displayed (you should be able to see, what day/time your path have been recorded)
    3. You can adjust the number of points that will be displayed at once by dragging one of the brackets to let/right
    4. by pressing the "play" button you will get an animation which is quite nice when you are driving around with the car - you will notice each stop at a traffic light
    06-27-09 03:00 AM
    that's pretty cool, I didn't know how to work that widget. That definitely meets the need, I can set the span very narrow (to show just a few dots) and then slide it around to quickly pan around the path and read the real time. Thanks for the training.
    06-27-09 08:37 AM
    It might be me or ...

I was using v 63 - in Italy. Each time I seem to record or Mark Location (or maybe change application and back to gps logger) my PAth seems to stop recrding. When I get back to the car I find the Path had stopped at the Marked Location.

Ideas of what I may have messed up?

I just downloaded 461, I believe, so will see how that goes.

Again, thanks for the app.

06-27-09 10:52 AM
    Each time I seem to record or Mark Location (or maybe change application and back to gps logger) my PAth seems to stop recrding. When I get back to the car I find the Path had stopped at the Marked Location.
    Oh noooo - that's so bad! I feel very sorry!

How do you mark the location?
    When you are logging there are two ways to name a location:

1) 'Mark Location' from the main menu [that what you should use]

2) 'Save Current Location' -> give the current point a name AND the point will be saved as location file (gpp)

Actually but no matter what you use none of them should stop the path recording... my suggestion is, to make a test before you actually continue hiking

Matthias
    06-27-09 01:08 PM
    I did a search after search after search and still cannot come up with a fix for my Sprint 8330 curve. I am still getting the Java error notification only when I select "stop logging". I have selected "documents" on my SD card in the Export Settings and I know GPSLogger liked that folder because after selecting it, it went back to the opions screen, plus it is showing the right directory string. The only box I have selected is KML because I only use Google Earth. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times so I know I am running the most up to date version.

Few questions regarding the program's menu options:

1) In the General Settings, what is the "Path Directory"? It appears by default it shows: Map/

2) What does the "Specifiy own Path names" box do? Currently it's unchecked.

3) I have my sample interval set as 2 seconds, is that a good setting? Will it not be as accurate if I do it every second?

4) In the Export Settings, what does the box named "Export only named locations of path" do? Right now it's unchecked by default.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    07-09-09 10:53 AM
    I did a search after search after search and still cannot come up with a fix for my Sprint 8330 curve. I am still getting the Java error notification only when I select "stop logging".
    1) In the General Settings, what is the "Path Directory"? It appears by default it shows: Map/
    Actually this seams to be the source of your Java error - please see and read the "getting started" section here:

GPSLogger User Manual [Overview] - Software for BlackBerry� Devices with OS 4.3 or higher

2) What does the "Specifiy own Path names" box do? Currently it's unchecked.
    Once starting Logging you will be asked for a custom name of your recording (if unchecked GPSLogger will generate a name for you)

3) I have my sample interval set as 2 seconds, is that a good setting? Will it not be as accurate if I do it every second?
    it's your bias between battery life and accuracy...

4) In the Export Settings, what does the box named "Export only named locations of path" do? Right now it's unchecked by default.
    While logging you can enter certain spots a name... -> when this option is enabled only these names points will be included in the export...

Matthias
    07-09-09 02:47 PM
    Thanks for the help Matthias, however no matter what folder I select, I am still getting the "java.lang.NullPointerException" and I followed the getting started instructions word for word. Any other suggestions?? Help
    07-10-09 12:18 AM
    can you tell me, what the Field "Path-Directory" now says in the options dislog on your BB?
    07-10-09 12:38 AM
    can you tell me, what the Field "Path-Directory" now says in the options dislog on your BB?
    Under General Settings:
    Path Directory: Map/

Under Export Settings
    Export Directory: SDCard/Blackberry/documents/

Specify own path name box is unchecked.
    07-10-09 01:01 AM
    Under General Settings:
    Path Directory: Map/
    With all respect but I doubt, that Map/ is a valid file path on your BlackBerry device - you need to choose a valid & existing file path for this Path Directory (same as for the export dir)
    07-10-09 02:06 AM
570 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD