emacf1, thanks very much for GPSLogger, it's great! I find the straightforward interface a pleasure to use.

Here are my two feature requests:

First, the ability to set the sample rate by distance instead of time. This is something i've seen on handheld GPS units. Instead of recording a track point at fixed intervals, it waits until you've moved a certain distance from the last one, and then records. The idea is if that you're standing still or moving very slowly, then recording at fixed intervals will store a lot of redundant data. I think you'd want a combination of this and a maximum time interval, so you can say something like "record a point every five metres, or every thirty seconds even if i haven't moved five metres". Of course, you want a minimum time between samples as well, so you don't get overloaded when moving fast!

You might have to change the way you sample the location from the API - perhaps instead of a fixed sampling rate (which would be different from the maximum rate), it could be adaptive, so you keep track of how fast the receiver is moving, and then calculate from that how often you need to sample.

The second idea is simpler - when i recording a track, i'd like to be able to give it a name, which would then appear in the list of saved tracks. The date-based names at the moment are precise, but rely on me remembering exactly when i recorded each track. I know i can rename the files after recording them, but it would be very convenient to be able to give them names from within GPSLogger.
    05-29-09 05:40 AM
    First, the ability to set the sample rate by distance instead of time...
    Without going too much into the details, this can be really though to implement for various reasons... but would it be a compromise to implement a feature: "Only record Locations in a path if the distance to the previous recorded location is greater then XXX" ?

The second idea is simpler - when i recording a track, i'd like to be able to give it a name, which would then appear in the list of saved tracks. The date-based names at the moment are precise, but rely on me remembering exactly when i recorded each track. I know i can rename the files after recording them, but it would be very convenient to be able to give them names from within GPSLogger.
    This will be included in the next release [already implemented] - you will be able to enable this feature in the options. So the old behaviour is still there...
    05-29-09 07:36 AM
    Without going too much into the details, this can be really though to implement for various reasons... but would it be a compromise to implement a feature: "Only record Locations in a path if the distance to the previous recorded location is greater then XXX" ?
    One concern - on a very steep trail, distance may not change much horizontally but it will change vertically. I don't know it this would present problems or not.

On another issue: Twic asked a question in another thread about loading a "bike route" into a program, say gps-logger and then following it. Will this work in gps logger? Can you display one path and then while moving kind of trace that route again, trying to steer and move along the same directions as the prior path? I've never tried it - what does "load into background" mean? I just loaded one but I don't see it showing so how to use it?

Again, THANKS, for this program.
    05-29-09 09:30 AM
    One concern - on a very steep trail, distance may not change much horizontally but it will change vertically. I don't know it this would present problems or not.
    when my suggestion will be acceptable, then including alt changes as well should not be a big deal...

On another issue: Twic asked a question in another thread about loading a "bike route" into a program, say gps-logger and then following it. Will this work in gps logger? Can you display one path and then while moving kind of trace that route again, trying to steer and move along the same directions as the prior path? I've never tried it - what does "load into background" mean? I just loaded one but I don't see it showing so how to use it?
    That's exactly the purpose of the background path function - you load a path into the background and then you start the recording... you should see when you are on "track" with the path loaded into the background - the good news here is alos with the next release of GPSLogger you will be able to import GoogleEarth-KML files and store them as GPSLogger paths... This should make bike route shareing even more simpler (as long the data is not copyrighted)

Matthias
    05-29-09 09:41 AM
    GPSLogger update to 0.6.0
    first step to a GeoCache capable application

What's New?
    • Specify your custom path names when start logging (can be enabled by 'Specify own Path names' in the options)
    • Editing path names (via Path Manager)
    • Create a new location (via Location Manager) - specify name, lat & lon value [the first step into a GeoCache app]
    • Edit name of existing locations (via Location Manager)
    • Direction View for OS4.2.1+ will show heading to 'N' (beside the direction to go)
    • Direction View will show "estimated time of arrival" (depends from the current speed)
    • Location details dialog will show the distance to your current location
    • Import of KML Path (additional to GPX import)
    • ... much more ...
    • New Shortcuts in Path Manager
    • New Shortcuts in Location Manager

The GPSLogger v0.6.0 contains a lot of more changes - all the details can be found at the GPSLogger change log webpage

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

Matthias
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-09-09 at 03:24 AM.
    05-29-09 10:55 AM
    emacf1,

I just want to say thank you for all of your work on this program. It is easily my most used blackberry app.

Thanks again.

Dave
    05-29-09 01:04 PM
    I just want to say thank you for all of your work on this program. It is easily my most used blackberry app.
    my pleasure Dave! [even if my wife makes quite a critical face when shre have too look on our current bank account balance... [but this is a problem with my other app]
    05-29-09 01:11 PM
    LOVE the new version! You've really made some great improvements to Locations. It would be Nice if you had the distance to each location in [] instead of the date created, and sort the list by nearest location too. Also, I can now enter a new location manually -- thanks so much!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 11:03 AM
    [QUOTE=emacf1;2674128]Are you sure that you use the latest version ?

Ok, emacf1 thanks! recently I installed v 0.5.7 and worked properly export path file to email. and succesfull open via KML google map!! GREAT
    Thanks alot
    05-30-09 11:35 AM
    It would be Nice if you had the distance to each location in [] instead of the date created...
    at least this info is shown in the Location-Details... but I admit, that some additional sorting options could be handy...
    Last edited by emacf1; 05-30-09 at 12:43 PM.
    05-30-09 12:36 PM
    I've noticed that when exporting a large path (1h 45minutes at 1 sec intervals) into kml, the program can hang or crash. Is there possibly a desktop application to convert the gpl into kml?
    05-30-09 05:48 PM
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Awesome app from start to finish. I can now throw my eTrex into the hacker bin. Good job.
    05-30-09 08:13 PM
    I've noticed that when exporting a large path (1h 45minutes at 1 sec intervals) into kml, the program can hang or crash. Is there possibly a desktop application to convert the gpl into kml?
    Was this a drive? I've logged 6 hour bike rides and hikes although my interval might be 5 seconds.
    05-30-09 09:17 PM
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Awesome app from start to finish. I can now throw my eTrex into the hacker bin. Good job.
    well before doing that - but it in a box and send it over to me :-)
    05-31-09 02:12 AM
    ...Is there possibly a desktop application to convert the gpl into kml?
    Do you know how to use a command line application - or is there really the need of a GraphicalUserInterface (GUI)?
    05-31-09 02:38 AM
    I couldn't install it through OTA. But I'm using the Desktop Manager now.
    05-31-09 02:20 PM
    can anyone help me load this onto my storm? I downloaded the file to my pc but not sure how to load it on my phone. thanks.
    05-31-09 08:59 PM
    can anyone help me load this onto my storm? I downloaded the file to my pc but not sure how to load it on my phone. thanks.
    You might want to try the OTA download direct to your phone.

But to install from a computer, you need Desktop Manager and then use the ADD applications menu to do so. You will need to UNzip the file and place the axl and cod files someplace that you later point Desktop Manager at.
    05-31-09 09:20 PM
    Thanks. It worked using OTA. How can I save multiple paths? Or is there somewhere I can read about all the features and how to use them?
    05-31-09 09:49 PM
    why can't I save any changes in the options menu? How do I save a path or location for use later? HELP PLEASE! I'm lost!! (not really, just with this app )
    05-31-09 10:14 PM
    HELP! I did a battery pull and now GPS Logger won't even open! I even tried to delete the app and download it again. It still won't open. What is going on?? Can someone help please!?!?

**UPDATE** Ok, I got it back and working..I think. I'll find out when I leave today. Phew! Also, regarding my previous post, I figured out how to save and export. I didn't realize that you have to hit the BB button and chose from the list when in the text area. I thought you actually had to type the locations in that you wanted to save the data. I chose to save in SDcard/bb/documents. Is this a good choice?

Hopefully I won't have anymore newbie questions, but I probably will

From what I can tell so far this will be a really cool app. Thanks for all your hard work that you have put into it!!!!!!!
    Last edited by cmycrack-berry; 06-01-09 at 10:22 AM.
    06-01-09 09:32 AM
    This app is cool and works well on my storm but the compass is a$$ back wards. I point south it shows I am pointing north as well as wrong east and west....any help here?

I have been waiting on a compass app!
    06-02-09 09:59 AM
    from what i have read, i assume i am correct that using this will in no way charge me anything extra. i am tight on money and cant afford the data plan but i would like to try this app. if i am correct from reading it will not cost anything to use. if that is true can someone explain to how it works with out using data or anything. seems pretty sweet to me. thanks
    06-02-09 11:07 AM
    This app is cool and works well on my storm but the compass is a$$ back wards. I point south it shows I am pointing north as well as wrong east and west....any help here?

I have been waiting on a compass app!
    In order that the compass can work correctly you have to move arround in order that the current course could be calculated based on the location change over time...
    06-02-09 11:50 AM
    from what i have read, i assume i am correct that using this will in no way charge me anything extra. i am tight on money and cant afford the data plan but i would like to try this app. if i am correct from reading it will not cost anything to use. if that is true can someone explain to how it works with out using data or anything. seems pretty sweet to me. thanks
    As long as you have a supported GPS-Antenna (build in or external puck) the antenna provides all information that is needed - no additional data (like maps) will be transferred - only your current location (based on the received GPS-Data) is recorded... this information will be kept on the device... no G3/GPRS/GSM connection is required.
    06-02-09 11:59 AM
570 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD